I haven't been on here for ages, but I thought that maybe some of you would be interested in this project I'm going to start.

I found this old, battered acoustic in a skip on the way home from college, and I immediately fell in love with it. The plan is to do it up over Christmas, and post pictures of the progress on here.

List of what needs doing:
Major re-structuring of the top, back and sides
Gluing the bridge back on
Re-glue the Nut

Now, although the list is fairly small, the first two of them are fairly major. But nothing perseverance and perfectionism won't fix

Some before pics:

Anyway, I'm pretty excited about it. Hopefully it will turn out all right in the end, although its never going to be an 1897 Martin
I love you long time.
Quick update - I've managed to pry the back off the guitar in order to fully repair the top, back and sides. It was pretty easy, i just used an iron, with a t-shirt over the body to stop the moisture etc. This heated up the glue nicely. It was just a matter of separating the two, in which i used my trusty pen-knife.

Some pics:

I love you long time.
Quote by NO.WAY
Quick update - I've managed to pry the back off the guitar in order to fully repair the top, back and sides. It was pretty easy, i just used an iron, with a t-shirt over the body to stop the moisture etc. This heated up the glue nicely. It was just a matter of separating the two, in which i used my trusty pen-knife.

Some pics:

Looking good. It seems like you probably already know this but I'm going to say it anyway just in case... Be sure your side supports go all the way to the guitar top AND make sure they tuck under the linings. Having them butt against the linings or stop just shy will create a pivot point for the brace and it will ultimately mean your sides will crack again and it will be at this pivot point.

Oh yeah... please don't use wood filler on the guitar either. Wood filler is not a Fix and it won't last. You need to make a patch out of real wood, glue it in there, and then put little diamond shaped cleats over the seems on the inside to strengthen the patch.
Not taking any online orders.
Last edited by CorduroyEW at Dec 4, 2008,
Hey, thanks for your advice. This is the first time i have ever worked on an acoustic like this before - so I'm just using common sense at the moment.

When you say up to the top of the guitar and under the linings, did you mean this?

Also, the bindings pop out at the bottom by about 2-3mm, is that a problem? The side supports wont be able to be flush with the top.

Cheers for the help!

EDIT: Just re-read what you said. When you say "tuck under the linings", do you mean actually underneath them? As in carve out a tiny slot to get underneath them?
I love you long time.
Last edited by NO.WAY at Dec 4, 2008,
Quote by NO.WAY

EDIT: Just re-read what you said. When you say "tuck under the linings", do you mean actually underneath them? As in carve out a tiny slot to get underneath them?

Yes, that is what I mean. You could actually cut a notch in the linings instead of carving under them if that is easier for you. The key is that the extra brace extends past the bottom of the lining otherwise you will just get more cracks.

As for how close they get to the top... If you make the go to the bindings that'll be just as good.
Not taking any online orders.