Poll: Do you take Guitar Lessons?
Poll Options
View poll results: Do you take Guitar Lessons?
Yes
61 43%
No
81 57%
Voters: 142.
Page 1 of 2
I searched, and couldn't really find anything on this. Im sure there is something about it out there and I just missed it, but do you take Guitar lessons? And by lessons I mean one on one in person lessons not any online tutoring or anything. I used to but found they were just a waste of money. So do you take lessons and why or why not?
Quote by VanCamp
Pee on things.

Quote by tukk04
back in black-AC/DC
because maybe it'd revive me instantly
i just hope i don't come back black

My Gear
Epiphone SG
Roland 15 Watt Cube Amp
Samick J-2 Acoustic
I take lessons, mostly because I can't read theory lessons off of this site; if someone doesn't explain it to me, face to face, there's no hope of me understanding it.
I take a class in school, and private lessons outside school. I also have a music theory class but that's different, though I am sort of learning piano.

Quote by captainoid
I take lessons, mostly because I can't read theory lessons off of this site; if someone doesn't explain it to me, face to face, there's no hope of me understanding it.

Same here, the circle of fifths was so simple in my Music class and I was so confused by it on here.
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
I think lessons are probably good if you have a good teacher
but I'm not really that serious about it so I don't bother
I took lessons once at one of the local music shops. I told them I played punk music so they gave me this guy who they said did punk stuff...but their definition of punk was not the same as mine. It was horrible he kept showing me things he made up that he thought were cool and it was just a nightmare. It did not have the guidance and structure I hope for...
No sir, I did not.

__.-~~~~-.|___|___|__
_/********\_|___|___|
|*/**\**/**`~~~~~-.__
||****|**0*********@_
||****|***.********|_
\|****|***\*******/__
_\****/**/`~~~~~~`|__
_('--'""`)__|___|___|
Quote by Jesus
LedDaveZeppelin, You are so awesome.
I took lessons for two and half months from a local music shop. It was a waste of money.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
do not, but am looking forward to having some with a friend. he is a legit teacher and we get along great
Gear:
Maton MS503
Squier Strat
Randall RG75DG3+
H & K 100W Switchblade
Dunlop Original Crybaby
Digitech Crossroads
Digitech Jamman
Zoom G1

Quote by Sol9989
Caramello wins life.

Quote by A8039077
Caramello, that's mother****ing genius!
I'm pretty serious about guitar but I never took lessons. I've just never felt like calling a teacher, and I learned everything I know from online things like searching Google. I look back on it and I think it's quite amazing how tons of people can learn a lot without dropping a single cent on lessons. Most of guitar is creativity and practice in my opinion, but then again, I don't play a lot of intense stuff. I'm really more into the blues and that's all I really know how to play.
Signatures are overrated.
I have a private "class", one-on-one thing every Monday night for an hour by the local tech guy, who does pretty much all the sound tech in our town. He's also been playing guitar for 43 years, and built his own a couple years ago. It's not really a class as such anymore, seeing as he's taught me all the exercises already. It's kinda like, a teacher gives you the basics, which he has already done, then a mentor or tutor helps you fix or improve on them, which is what we do now. He's been a great help, and I would've quit guitar without that one hour every week. I've been there for a little over a year, and I think I'm going to leave soon to go off and do my own thing.
Last edited by Pat_s1t at Dec 3, 2008,
I took lessons for a year and a half. My instructor was really cool and would help me learn any song I wanted to learn along with teaching me basic theory stuff.
Taking guitar lessons (or any kind of class, really) will teach you how to be a musician, not just a guitar player.
I took a semester of beginning guitar. I didn't learn anything new, I just kind of played around in there.

Quote by Caramello Ruell
do not, but am looking forward to having some with a friend. he is a legit teacher and we get along great

The annoying part of your sig is that you don't have a question mark at the end of the question.
time machine. Inadvertently, I had created a
Quote by iceman_8319
I took a semester of beginning guitar. I didn't learn anything new, I just kind of played around in there.

The annoying part of your sig is that you don't have a question mark at the end of the question.

regardless of what way it is annoying it achieved its purpose
Gear:
Maton MS503
Squier Strat
Randall RG75DG3+
H & K 100W Switchblade
Dunlop Original Crybaby
Digitech Crossroads
Digitech Jamman
Zoom G1

Quote by Sol9989
Caramello wins life.

Quote by A8039077
Caramello, that's mother****ing genius!
I said no, but if your count Guitar class in school lessons, then yea i take lessons.
I think I'm going to keep doing lessons till I go to college, it seems weird doing lessons all 4 years of my playing (at the time I go to college it will be about 4 years I mean).
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
i took a couple of years of bass leassons and it helped me greatly. i had to quite because of college
No, it's more because I don't like being told what to do. Instead I like to follow my interests and so forth. I practice a dramatic amount more when I do not take lessons.
Heres an example of how I study a chapter of my uni work or whatever. I read bits and pieces and get the idea of what each section is saying. Then I put em together in my mind to make complete sense of it. So I prefer learning my way.

As with the guitar, I like to make little sound theories of my own and put em up against the traditional theories and create arguements. Which leads to a sonic exploration, so to speak. Best way of learning, I tell ya.
Don't buy Guitar Hero.
Buy Guitar Pro.

My Gear: (That I actually use)

ESP Edwards E-CY-165 CTM
Vox Saturator
Vox AD50VT
Vox Tonelab LE
Jim Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
I didnt really wanna take lessons but my friend told me it helped him so i gave it a shot.

First lesson last tuesday after a year of playing and i already feel like i've improved alot, its definetly worth it at least with my teacher.
ED REED BABY
I'm grade 8 in both guitar and piano and I taught myself
1 2

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as thoughts keep drifting
as walls keep shifting
and this great blue world of ours
seems a House of Leaves

My Rig
Quote by Will Swanson
HeavyReverb = Hero of The Pit 2010.
Quote by I-Shot-Jr
You sir are my absolute hero.
I used to, but then I quit after realizing it was a huge waste of time and money.

I put down guitar for a year I was THAT discouraged, I picked it back up and havent't put it down since. Call it a ****ty teacher, but I hate lessons, guitar isn't really about playing something exact and getting marked on it, it's about letting your creativity go and adding your own flare to things.

So I used to take lessons, now I'm self taught (theory too).
yes i do. i love them. it's so much eaiser than figuring out yourself
To say of what is that it is not, or of what is not that it is, is false, while to say of what is that it is, and of what is not that it is not, is true.

Yes, i taught myself for a while, and then when it was just starting to slow down, i started taking lessons...

Oh, and btw, some of you seem ashamed of taking lessons, and feel the need to make excuses for doing so... so i ask you... wtf?
I started out taking lessons to get a general direction to shoot from, but with all the information in books and online, I coulden't justify paying anymore.

All I learned from lessons is that if you want to get good you have to practice.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Quote by crazy8rgood
Oh, and btw, some of you seem ashamed of taking lessons, and feel the need to make excuses for doing so... so i ask you... wtf?

yeah there's no shame in taking lessons. i wish i had cos i didn't start using my pinky until i was playing for a year
1 2

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as thoughts keep drifting
as walls keep shifting
and this great blue world of ours
seems a House of Leaves

My Rig
Quote by Will Swanson
HeavyReverb = Hero of The Pit 2010.
Quote by I-Shot-Jr
You sir are my absolute hero.
No, but I feel like I should.
Quote by SteveHouse
M. Night Shyamallama

No, and I wouldn't even consider taking them.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Yeah. I have the best teacher on the planet. Been taking lessons for four years give or take.
Quote by NGD1313
Well I don't know about solos but how about that Smoke on the Water riff. It's like...impossible.

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE

I'm Jake. I'm a musician, philosopher, and exhibitionist.
i never had lessons and im a terrible player, but even if its because of that, i wouldn't consider taking lessons, i like learning by myself
I'm entirely self taught, almost 2 1/2 years.

Although I should start looking for a good teacher, I don't suck or anything but a good teacher could indeed help me learn a lot, I'm sure.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
Yes, since I study at a conservatory for jazz.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Page 1 of 2