But, I have a few problems. I have no idea how to start, how to find lessons, what kind to get, what I need to buy, etc. My other problem is that I am very self-concious and worry about my teacher either thinking i am a spoiled brat if i have a nice bass or a poor little kid if I have a crappy one. Help is much appreciated!

Thanks,
Joe
Get an Ibanez Soundgear
It plays pretty good, costs a pretty penny, but it sounds pretty good.
Shawn George Noel
Lol, why do you care what your teacher thinks of you and your instruments....Get one for yourself man.
Well, this is what you'll need:
1. A bass
This is where you can take over. I don't know where you live, so I don't know about lessons, but you can still practice by yourself. Once you get one, you can check out the 'Bass songs to Learn' thread near the top. It has a bunch of beginner songs you could work on.
Now if you want(you probably will) you could get an amp. Not necessary for playing by yourself, but it is if you want to jam with other people.

As for which to buy, the Bass FAQ has a bunch of basses and amps you could choose from.

Anything else you need to know, specifically, just ask. We're all helpful.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
Do you play guitar now, and want to pick up the bass as well, or are you completely devoid of any musical talent?

For your first bass, its ok to have an inexpensive one (like 200-400 USD), infact I'd recomend it If you realize bass isn't for you, its less painful for your wallet if you stop playing an inexpensive Squier as opposed to some 2000 Rickenbacker. Likewise, don't buy one TOO inexpensive either, as a terribly ****ty bass will not be fun to play.
a lot of music stores have lessons, or maybe you could look in the yellow pages

and by what i've seen, this forum is filled with great suggestions about what to get as a starter bass/amp, plus a cable (which shouldn't be a tough decision)
-
-
--
---
-----
--------
-------------
Yay fibonacci!
The site also has some Bass and Music Theory lessons. You should check them out. They aren't all top quality, but you can learn from them on your own. People in the forums will help if you ask.
Ibanez SR505

EBS MultiComp
BOSS GEB-7

Ampeg SVT 4-Pro
Ampeg SVT 810E
Thanks for the help. And to the poster who asked if I play guitar. No I do not. Any other help?
Quote by zombielive
Thanks for the help. And to the poster who asked if I play guitar. No I do not. Any other help?

What's your budget? We could suggest more things if we knew what your price range is.

Are you also looking to buy an amp?
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
My budget is in the 200-400 range. I will also eventually want to purchase an amp.
Get Squier P-Bass
http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v286/48/52/818886039/n818886039_894963_8043.jpg
this is what I have, it's my first bass I ever got (still own it) and it's pretty good and it's only about $250 or $300, I really suggest you get this.
Have Heart

xXx STRAIGHT EDGE xXx

//Are you as think as i drunk you are?//

Quote by DrPants PhD

-Some pregnant teacher threw up on my sister, lawl.
OWNED
take a look at the squier vintage modified series. also, what music do you like?
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
I like stuff like metallica, morbid angel, manowar, slayer, guns n' roses, marilyn manson, motley crue, etc.
There are always starter packs as well. Most of them don't give you the best quality in the world, but you'll get a bass and an amp along with everything else you could need to start playing bass
EDIT: and to TS, you might want to consider an Epiphone Thunderbird if you listen to those types of bands
Quote by MichaelOfCanton
a kazoo will rock some ass for like 85 cents.

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Krik harmret cuz he can prey der gertur wit te wurr wurr pedar!!

http://www.myspace.com/caledonia
Quote by HISOTRA
Get an Ibanez Soundgear
It plays pretty good, costs a pretty penny, but it sounds pretty good.

lol wut

but soundgear is a good choice
Quote by monkeysintheday
I have trained a live tarantula to calm and sit on my guitar due to the awesome powers of my rocking. When I am not playing it angrily bounces about my room hitting everything that isn't me.

Quote by stef123

rageagainst64 you are a legend!
Quote by bombsquadjunky
Epiphone Thunderbird

Hmmmm
Ibanez SR505

EBS MultiComp
BOSS GEB-7

Ampeg SVT 4-Pro
Ampeg SVT 810E
Quote by bombsquadjunky
EDIT: and to TS, you might want to consider an Epiphone Thunderbird if you listen to those types of bands

Rather than argue about this, I think I'll just leave it at the Thunderbird should not be your first bass.
Last edited by betaone at Dec 3, 2008,
I have the Thunderbird. I think it is Okay, with a decent amp.
Might be something you would like.

Check out BC Rich basses or Dean basses. They look badass.
Quote by betaone
Rather than argue about this, I think I'll just leave it at the Thunderbird should not be your first bass.

For which reasons?
I only suggested it because it would be better suited to playing Morbid Angel and Slayer than a Squier P Bass would was all

And to Table Salt: Was that a good or a bad hmmm?
Quote by MichaelOfCanton
a kazoo will rock some ass for like 85 cents.

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Krik harmret cuz he can prey der gertur wit te wurr wurr pedar!!

http://www.myspace.com/caledonia
Last edited by bombsquadjunky at Dec 3, 2008,