I know the basics of what they are and how they do, but I don't get several things.

(I mainly play metal).

First, I know that higher output (hotter) pickups override the natural tone of the guitar more, isn't that correct? But why would you want to do that? If your guitar has a good tone, wouldn't you want to keep it? And if your guitar has a crappy tone, what's the use of putting good pickups in it?

Why are certain pickups better for distortion? And what makes pickups muddy?

And finally, how do you know what kind of wood a certain pickup will go well in? I mean, you get the info from the website of the pickup manufacturer usually, but how do they come up with the info? Trial and error?
Yeah I don't know a whole lot about pickups either, and it's hard to find comparisons and sound demos. I want to upgrade the Alnicos in my Epi SG eventually, but don't really know where to start.
The below is false.
The above is true.

*world implodes*
What amp are you using?
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.
A Roland Cube 30X.

I'm not really looking to upgrade, I'm just trying to learn more about pups.
Yeah, I read through your post too quickly and didn't catch that. Pickups can change the tone of your guitar but it's a lot more subtle than an amp change is, which is why I asked.

Anyway on to your question, guitars might have good tone for one thing but not for others which is why you would put different pickups in it. Higher output pickups drive pre amp tubes which is useful if you want distortion instead of overdrive, you don't have to turn up the gain as much so there's less noise.

EMGs and other active pickups push this idea even more by having a pre amp boosting the pickups before they leave the guitar, this drives pre amp tubes even more than high output passive pickups which is why a lot of metal guitarists like them.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.