I'm looking for a band where the bass is always moving. Like, eighth notes, except they're going crazily around the scale rather than playing the same note. Right now I cannot do that to songs, adding stuff on myself, and I figure learning from someone else would be the best approach. Any suggestions for bands to listen to?

EDIT: I'm already into RHCP. So no need to suggest them.
Highway Star by Deep Purple. Your perfect blend of root-note pumping and 8th note insane runs.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Tower of Power, any Motown tune with Jamerson on it. Most funk and R n B would fit the bill nicely.
Reel Big Fish
Coheed and Cambria (especially The Second Stage Turbine Blade and No World For Tomorow albums)
Cartel's current bassist has some awesome fills if that's what you're after.
Goldfinger's latest album has some insane bass fills as well (Hello Destiny).

Also, listen to:

Showbiz - Muse
Lies For The Liars - The Used
Evil Empire - Rage Against The Machine

That should start you off quite well.
Quote by Sizzleby
I could watch your avatar for hours.
Quote by thewho65
It's official: apparently, the U.K. is a nation of trolls.

ORANGE AMPLIFIERS Endorser and Proud.
listen to Primus. Seriously, Les Claypool is simply a genius!
Beau, oui, comme Bowie
listen to Anesthisia(pulling teeth) by metallica
its a bass solo by Cliff burton
Quote by Valid12891
I wish I had an extra sensitive third nipple, and a girl who was into that sort of thing.

Quote by _Ixnay_
In Russia, Winter Cold + Vodka + Big-Chested Women = No problem.

Book of shadows 2?
O_o
i think that hysteria by muse is pretty cool on bass but I don't know if it's what you're searching for
Try Rancid.
Quote by crazy8rgood
This, stockylachy, if i was a woman, i would want you to have my babies...

Wait...
RANCID
RANCID
RANCID

mat freeman's bass lines are usually all over the place

basically anything ska-ish has good bass lines

reel big fish
catch 22
less than jake
fishbone
they all have great lines too
Quote by smb
Further proof, if proof were needed, that Bill Gates planned 9/11 with Elvis.
Yes and the Minutemen.
Brian Eno fans unite!

Quote by BrianApocalypse
I recently had a dream that my dad died and my mum spent the life insurance payout on a new Indian dad, who told me to convert to Judaism, even though people usually change religion in September.
Quote by HiImKindaNewAnd
Yes and the Minutemen.

Can't mention the Minutemen without mentioning fIREHOSE. And Dead Kennedys--alot of Klaus' basslines fit the bill.
Quote by anarkee
Can't mention the Minutemen without mentioning fIREHOSE. And Dead Kennedys--alot of Klaus' basslines fit the bill.

YES! Klaus is a beast.

Try some Black Flag and Bad Bad Brains. From what I've heard both bass players were fairly creative.
Quote by anarkee

Thanks for the save.
Brian Eno fans unite!

Quote by BrianApocalypse
I recently had a dream that my dad died and my mum spent the life insurance payout on a new Indian dad, who told me to convert to Judaism, even though people usually change religion in September.
how about walking basslines in jazz?
that should keep you occupied!

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
Jamiroquai
Any James Jamerson motown records
Tower of Power
Chic

Try and play what is in your head. I know you've got some mad lines playing in your head havent you? Record yourself singing the basslines you wanna play, and then try and figure it out on your bass.
Ska/2tone is great for this.
In addition to the groups mentioned, I suggest checking out No Doubt, Madness, the Specials and the Skatalites.

Also Tower of Power have, as many said before, great, busy basslines. They're great for your right hand stamina as well.
Maruszczyk Frog 6 custom -> TC electronic Polytune-> Markbass CMD mini 121 + Markbass traveler 121H

Playing bass in Bamboo Avenue (Like us on facebook! )
EP out now!
Last edited by sam_ofzo at Dec 4, 2008,
Gordian Knot, some stuff by The Ocean, Riverside, Atheist, Cynic, and Sleep Terror. Definately look up Atheist, Cynic, and Gordian Knot if you want to hear some bass madness.
Coheed & Cambria
Rage Against the Machine
Jamiroquai
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
Without a doubt earlier Co&Ca.
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
Symphony X. Lots of quick unison guitar/bass tapping runs and fills. Check out Sea of Lies for starters.

Dream Theater. Crazy time-signatures and lightning quick fingers needed. The bass solos in Ytse Jam and The Dance of Eternity are good.

Between the Buried and Me. Yes, it is metalcore, but I can't deny Dan Briggs's chops. The bass solo in Viridian is a perfect example.

Cynic. Sean Malone is a beast. A six-string fretless is reccomended for his stuff. The song Textures has a great jazzy solo.

Steve Digiorgio stuff in general. He's played with tons of people. Check out the Quo Vadis song Silence Calls the Storm. A great fretless bassline.

Atheist. Roger Patterson (and Tony Choy, too) was/is a phenomenal bassist. Mother Man has a pretty crazy bass part.

Blotted Science. Although Alex's stuff with CC is great, his basslines are definitely more prominent here. Synaptic Plasticity is a favorite of mine.

Good stuff, good stuff.