Hello,

First, I am new to this forum so I don't know if this is the right place to post this.

Anyway, I have played guitar for almost two years now. I have been playing with my acoustic guitar and now I want to get an electric guitar. But the problem is I don't know how much would I spend. Please help me out. I would like to know how much is a decent electric guitar for the lowest price possible. And for the amplifier as well.

Please state some good guitars at your given price range. Thanks in advance.

What do you play? whats your budget?
*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
i'd say around 500 you can get a good guitar.

i have a 450 epi classic paul that sounds pretty killer. i also have a tom delonge squier that i modded that sounds equally killer if not a different kind.

every guitar is a life in itself. test. learn. dominate.
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
more importantly, how often do you play a day. it pretty much defines your price range.
I would say about 300$ to 400$ for the guitar. For an amp, you don't need to pay more then 100$ untill you want to play in a band...
$0.00, you know how? B & E my friend.
Suhr Custom, Flaxwood Rautia or Grosh Tele thru
HBE Medicine Bawl Wah
Analogman BiComp
Texas Two Step OD
Fulltone Ultimate Octave/Fuzz
Boss CE-2
TC Nova Delay
SLO-100, 65 London or Bogner Shiva
Ask me about any of this stuff!
Quote by handlerb
$0.00, you know how? B & E my friend.

Bacon and Eggs?

You really don't wanna spend any less than $300. Between $300 and $500 will land you a solid guitar.
You can get a cheap electric- around $ 125.00 or so.

And I got a Crate V-18 212 and it was $ 179.00. You can get the 112 for $ 149.00, but they are harder to find available. Both are tube amps and I give em a huge thumbs up!!!

I play a crappy ol' Epiphone SG-Special that sounded dreadful on the little solid state practice amp it came with, so I waited about a year or so then found the Crate amp and bought it. It sounds GREAT. What everyone told me was right, the amp makes the difference.

You can also buy used amps, but you would have to try them yourself to see what you like.

You can get a cheap-o Epiphone LP or SG Special for around $ 125 or so, and be very happy with it (I am) especially if you are just starting out on it.

I play AC/DC, LZ, just about everything, and I think I wish I had gotten the LesPaul instead of the SG, I like the sound a bit more, but I was a noob then. The LP will prob be my next purchase (maybe).

Most important, good luck and HAVE FUN MAKING LOUD NOISES.
ok, i'm not really gonna wait for you to answer me. lol. my guess is that if you were strictly acoustic and a ug newb, you've probably played 6-8 months, or somewhere close. you probably play around an hour a day or so. so about $300-400 would be a great investment for you. maybe ibanez, jackson, esp, or epiphone. these are very playable guitars you can grow on that sound pretty good.
What I play (or sometimes try because of hard upper fret access) ranges from Bon Jovi to Judas Priest to Edguy . Basically Hard rock/ Early Metal/ Power Metal.

I play for 4-5 hrs a day.
Quote by shelovemyguitar
I would say about 300$ to 400$ for the guitar. For an amp, you don't need to pay more then 100$ untill you want to play in a band...

Are you nuts? Even for practice amps, less than 100 dollars will get you tonal ****. Don't listen to this guy.

You can get a decent guitar with something like 350-400+ dollars. It depends on what you play, really. We'd need more info, but an amp should be around the same. total a decent (Intermediate/bordering advanced player) setup costs only $1000 dollars. Advanced setups cost something around a maximum of 2500 for everything (Pedals, new pickups, etc, etc.)
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.
i've found $200 is about minimum, my yamaha pacifica and ibanez rg120 are both fine guitars, i've set them up how i like with heavier strings and they play and sound fine, i'd save your money for a nice amp, thats what matters sound-wise

check the guitar in store (read about what to look for) and learn how to adjust the action and you're set
Quote by strq010
this guy, Nihil, is currently my hero.

Quote by clincher09
Why is Jesus a dinosaur?
about $500:
for a solid guitar at least $300 USD if you're going new and for an amp about $150-$200.
if you go used then with $500 you can do even better.

for guitar i would go with an Ibanez RG321
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RG321-Electric-Guitar?sku=512492
24 frets, deep cutaway for better access to higher frets, 2 humbuckers, and a fixed bridge. overall a good a solid guitar that won't hinder your learning process and will last you a long time.

for amps look at the roland cubes and the peavey vypers

here's the vyper
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Vypyr-30-30W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=482909

here's the cube
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Roland-Cube-20X-Amp-With-COSM?sku=487031
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you even more now. Slightly homo
Quote by V.U.K
Are you nuts? Even for practice amps, less than 100 dollars will get you tonal ****. Don't listen to this guy.

You can get a decent guitar with something like 350-400+ dollars. It depends on what you play, really. We'd need more info, but an amp should be around the same. total a decent (Intermediate/bordering advanced player) setup costs only $1000 dollars. Advanced setups cost something around a maximum of 2500 for everything (Pedals, new pickups, etc, etc.)

Dude, for $100 you can get a Vypyr 15, and a Micro Cube for a little bit more. Both are solid starter amps.
Forget epipihone or yamaha dude get a Agile @ rondomusic.com best $350 dollars i ever spent
Any price. I'd try a Yamaha Pacifica 112, great guitars for the money, and very versatile. Not at all crap, as many people on this forum will probably say.
xaviere or agile new for 3 or $400. used, maybe $300 for used better grade epiphone or ibanez.
I recommend a Mexican Strat. You can get one used for $300 or less.

I also have found that having a good amp and a crappy guitar sounds decent, but a cheap amp and good guitar sounds like crap.
Does being successful truly make you a sell out? Can't you do your own original music and be successful because of it?
Spend more on the amp than on a guitar. A cheap guitar can sound good through a decent amp, a good guitar will sound **** through a cheap amp. I still own my Ibanez GRG170 and it's awesome value for money.
Quote by Bornex
What I play (or sometimes try because of hard upper fret access) ranges from Bon Jovi to Judas Priest to Edguy . Basically Hard rock/ Early Metal/ Power Metal.

I play for 4-5 hrs a day.

I think you would be very happy to get an Ibenez for any kind of metal, Personally i like les pauls but an ibenez is my next guitar choice. if you can spend the extra cash get an Ibenez, you one be dissipointed once you start shreading
OK so a decent guitar is around US$300-500 right?
I'll go around some local music shops today to test some guitars you said for this price range.
As for the amp I'll also try some of your recommendations.

For the Agile recommendation I don't know if they ship here or if there is any retailer of those guitars here in Singapore.
Quote by Bornex
OK so a decent guitar is around US$300-500 right?
I'll go around some local music shops today to test some guitars you said for this price range.
As for the amp I'll also try some of your recommendations.

For the Agile recommendation I don't know if they ship here or if there is any retailer of those guitars here in Singapore.

look at my post in the first page of the thread. what i listed should be perfect for you. well.... not PERFECT but at least great without the need to upgrade real soon
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you even more now. Slightly homo
Quote by V.U.K

Yeah you are right I forgot that I have a classic tonebone distortion pedal... Yeah you defenatly need to pay more then 100$...
Quote by DarkLiquor
I like you. Compassionate and strong. Glad theres people like you.

"What is the best kind of slave to have? One who does not realize they are a slave"
Wake up people!
Used OLP Axis for about $100 undoubtedly the best starter electric guitar (neck is kind of small but thats the only con) its easier to play and sounds better than any other beginner guitar.

However for the next step up in price to the $200-$300 range get a Jay Turser they sound really good stock but once you replace the pickups they sound almost as good as the real thing.
UG's Prodigal Son