What's the difference between overdrive and distortion? What would be more useful for an indie rock guitarist playing in the style of Death Cab for Cutie, Dave Matthews Band, The Shins, or Guster? What other guitar effects would these kinds of bands commonly use?
Definitely reverb.

Overdrive would probably be of more use to you. Don't take my word for it, though. I'm not 100% on that.
My League of Legends stream
The morning will come
In the press of every kiss
With your head upon my chest

Where I will annoy you
With every waking breath
Until you, decide to wake up
Overdrive is distortion in a tube amp. The specific way a tube amp shapes a high volume signal (softer and smoother than clipping) is called overdrive.

At least, I'm almost positive.
I already have a tube amp (a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe), it has great cleans, but really ****ty distortion, so what effect would make my amp more versatile?
Quote by JacKofAces91
What's the difference between overdrive and distortion? What would be more useful for an indie rock guitarist playing in the style of Death Cab for Cutie, Dave Matthews Band, The Shins, or Guster? What other guitar effects would these kinds of bands commonly use?

from the FAQ:

Overdrive is often confused with distortion due to a similar "kind" of sound.. but overdrive re-creates the natural warm sound of a vintage tube amp that is being "overdriven" or is breaking up. when a tube amps volume is pushed beyond its capacity, they "break up" and begin to sound crunchy and distorted, the resulting sound is overdrive.

styles: Blues, Blues Rock, Fusion, Classic Rock

Distortion is what makes metal, rock, punk, grunge, etc... sound the way it does. you know what i mean, the crunchy riffs the screeming pinch harmonics and solos , that dirty ass bone crunching sound of death and pain marching across the land AAAARRRGGHHHH!!! that my friend, is distortion.

for indie, you're absolutely going to want an overdrive pedal and/or low-gain amp.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by UnsignedRecords
from the FAQ:

Overdrive is often confused with distortion due to a similar "kind" of sound.. but overdrive re-creates the natural warm sound of a vintage tube amp that is being "overdriven" or is breaking up. when a tube amps volume is pushed beyond its capacity, they "break up" and begin to sound crunchy and distorted, the resulting sound is overdrive.

styles: Blues, Blues Rock, Fusion, Classic Rock

Distortion is what makes metal, rock, punk, grunge, etc... sound the way it does. you know what i mean, the crunchy riffs the screeming pinch harmonics and solos , that dirty ass bone crunching sound of death and pain marching across the land AAAARRRGGHHHH!!! that my friend, is distortion.

for indie, you're absolutely going to want an overdrive pedal and/or low-gain amp.

/thread
Got a question about Baritone guitars? Feel free to PM me.

Thanks to UG, I converted from Metalcore to some "real" Metal.
^if i were feeling like a dick i'd report this thread, b/c the 'what's the difference btw OD/distortion" topic has been discussed in HUNDREDS of threads, both as the topic AND just through general discussion.

i'm sick of em now. they're essentially the same thing, but OD is usually referred to when talking about lower to mid gain, and distortion for high gain. that's all that dist. pedals do- imitate hi gain tube amps. OD pedals imitate a low to mid gain tube amp being naturally pushed into crunchness. they're just commonly labeled by the degree to which the gain is set at.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
hey. i also like to play some dmb, guster typer stuff and i would say definitely overdrive, reverb would help you out. no need for distortion, just crank the overdrive if necessary
Agile AL-3000 HSBF>
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz V1>
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive V1>
Hardwire CM-2>
Delta Lab Chorus>
EHX Holy Grail>
Boss DD-7>
BBE Sonic Stomp>
Digitech JamMan>
Blackheart Little Giant
hey. i also like to play some dmb, guster typer stuff and i would say definitely overdrive, reverb would help you out. no need for distortion, just crank the overdrive if necessary

they're the same thing...
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Quote by slash_rocks2005
they're the same thing...

This