So I wana study in jazz and I wana know some Jazz virtuosos or good guitarists so I can learn new Jazz songs.

Anyone care to help me please?

This is searchbar approved.
A good question.

Wes Montgomery, Jim Hall, Kurt Rosenwinkel, Charlie Christian, Pat Martino, Joe Pass.

And as for general jazz musicians:

Bill Evans, Miles Davis, Jackie McLean, Brad Mehldau, Charlie Parker, John Coltrane, Wayne Shorter. There are many more though.

By the way, learning jazz songs is a completely different approach than learning rock songs or classical pieces. You can interpret each tune in a completely different way than whatever you hear on recording or read on paper. However, you must analyze the progression and form so that you will be able to arrange it and improvise on it properly.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Dec 3, 2008,
Just on guitar? Or on other instruments too, because that opens up a whole lot more options (obviously).

Biréli Lagrène and John McLaughlin come to mind. Jaco Pastorius, Miles and Coltrane, Herbie Hancock. A whole lot of stuff for you to explore.
Quote by FbSa
Back in the 70's I decided to take all the frets off Jaco's Bass thinking he would play worse. Man did that backfire.

[quote="'[x"]Huffy[x]']FUCK YES.

GSAWS, I LOVE YOU.
Quote by Xiaoxi
A good question.

Wes Montgomery, Jim Hall, Kurt Rosenwinkel, Charlie Christian, Pat Martino, Joe Pass.

And as for general jazz musicians:

Bill Evans, Miles Davis, Jackie McLean, Brad Mehldau, Charlie Parker, John Coltrane, Wayne Shorter. There are many more though.

By the way, learning jazz songs is a completely different approach than learning rock songs or classical pieces. You can interpret each tune in a completely different way than whatever you hear on recording or read on paper. However, you must analyze the progression and form so that you will be able to arrange it and improvise on it properly.

Yeah I'm learning alot of theory, I already know chords like dominants, secondary dominants, tritone substitution of secondary dominant chords, using parrallel scale to modulate and etc
Metheny, lol
Quote by FbSa
Back in the 70's I decided to take all the frets off Jaco's Bass thinking he would play worse. Man did that backfire.

[quote="'[x"]Huffy[x]']FUCK YES.

GSAWS, I LOVE YOU.
Quote by kevC4
Yeah I'm learning alot of theory, I already know chords like dominants, secondary dominants, tritone substitution of secondary dominant chords, using parrallel scale to modulate and etc
Yea that's cool. But it's just a huge gap from knowing it in your head and really being able to translate it onto live, spontaneous playing, which is the big issue for me right now.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
If you're looking for something a little more unique and modern check out Al DiMeola
(granted he started in the 70's, he was WAY ahead of his time. check out Kiss My Axe if you want to see)

or look up Hiromi's Sonic Boom
-Guitarist Dave "Fuze" is a jazz fusion force to be reckoned with.

more traditionally look up Django (as mentioned)
Johnny Smith (a favorite o mine)
or Wes Montgommery
Quote by sluffinator
Yeh this guy knows his ****... just listen to him XD

Quote by ScreamingCheeto
NaivexLi is anything but naive. His post was a pretty good source of info.

Thanks

Quote by MightyAl

Pro tip, kids - girls are NOT impressed by your blood.
Quote by Xiaoxi
Yea that's cool. But it's just a huge gap from knowing it in your head and really being able to translate it onto live, spontaneous playing, which is the big issue for me right now.

Ah well....

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-
Quote by kevC4
Ah well....

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

Yea, that's pretty much how I feel right now. Especially today.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Just to name some of the biggest players around in jazz: John McLaughlin, Pat Metheny, Django Rheidheart, Al DiMeloa, Adam Rogers, Mick Goodrick, Wolfgang Muthspiel and Peter Cosey. They're all fantastic players, some are more well known then others.
There's one more, but he's not very well known outside the Australian scene (as far as I know), his name is James Muller, and he is one of the best guitarists I've ever heard. Up there with McLaughlin and Metheny in my mind.
EDIT: TS, try asking in the jazz subforum as well, you'd get more answers there.

Quote by NaivexLi
If you're looking for something a little more unique and modern check out Al DiMeola
(granted he started in the 70's, he was WAY ahead of his time. check out Kiss My Axe if you want to see)

or look up Hiromi's Sonic Boom
-Guitarist Dave "Fuze" is a jazz fusion force to be reckoned with.

more traditionally look up Django (as mentioned)
Johnny Smith (a favorite o mine)
or Wes Montgommery

If you're going to mention Hiromi why not mention Chick Corea? He's a great pianist. Definately check him out.

As for guitarists, +1 on Wes Montgomery.

Are you interested in fusion?
Does anyone here not like Di Meola and John McLaughlin or am I alone here...? They sound absolutely god awful, in my opinion.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Regression
I've never really liked John Mclaughlin but Al Di Meola is good. =\

I cannot stand his style at all. He's just so wank...

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
either has stanley jordan unless im blind
Quote by Sloopy
I'm not in a wheelchair, but I own one just for fun.
Quote by Regression
If you're going to mention Hiromi why not mention Chick Corea? He's a great pianist. Definately check him out.

As for guitarists, +1 on Wes Montgomery.

Are you interested in fusion?

I was trying to aim mostly for Guitarists who are notable
and Fuze from Hiromi's band is most definately one of my favorites

but Chick Corea is impresssive without a doubt.

and I'm much more of a Jazz Fusion kind of guy than straight jazz

although, I love Jazz in itself
but....Fussion is my true cup of tea so to speak.

So to TS
if you're trying to get into Jazz from a more rock backgroun... check out some Fussion groups
you might find better luck, becuase the guitar players are still jazz players technically, but give it a different feel.

almost in the way that Slash is technically a Blues player, but is playing Rock.

similar concept.

Good luck on your search though!
Quote by sluffinator
Yeh this guy knows his ****... just listen to him XD

Quote by ScreamingCheeto
NaivexLi is anything but naive. His post was a pretty good source of info.

Thanks

Quote by MightyAl

Pro tip, kids - girls are NOT impressed by your blood.
Django, all the way.

I'm a violinist/violist and a guitarist, and the Grappeli/Reinhart material is my biggest inspiration. Just genius.
Ceci n'est pas une signature
John Coltrane...Charlie Parker...steal their licks.
Quote by TGautier13
Because e-cred on a sub-par 4Chan knockoff forum is what everyone strives to achieve.
We believe - so we're misled
We assume - so we're played
We confide - so we're deceived
We trust - so we're betrayed
Johnny A

dude check him out, he's an amazing guitarist, and Gibson made a signature model for him somewhat recently. Sometime Tuesday Morning is a great album
bill evans is my favorite jazz musician so you could listen to his stuff
Quote by HaKattack
Woman tone, eh?

Set treble to PUT THE TOILET SEAT DOWN WHEN YOU'RE DONE
Mids to YOU'RE DRIVING TOO FAST
Bass to WHAT DO YOU MEAN, "MAKE ME A SANDWICH"?
Gain to NOT TONIGHT, I HAVE A HEADACHE.

starter of the nadsat group
Quote by Xiaoxi
Does anyone here not like Di Meola and John McLaughlin or am I alone here...? They sound absolutely god awful, in my opinion.

I think they play well and they make pretty good music, but they havent influenced me and i really liked mcluahlins playing on that trio of doom album with jaco but, i wouldnt play like they do
Quote by HaKattack
Woman tone, eh?

Set treble to PUT THE TOILET SEAT DOWN WHEN YOU'RE DONE
Mids to YOU'RE DRIVING TOO FAST
Bass to WHAT DO YOU MEAN, "MAKE ME A SANDWICH"?
Gain to NOT TONIGHT, I HAVE A HEADACHE.

starter of the nadsat group
coltrane, miles davis, duke ellington, louis armstrong, charlie parker, art blakey.

then try out some of the guitarists mentioned.
I have no opinion on this matter.
Quote by pangui
Mick Goodrick

Mick Goodrick is one of the guitar teachers at my school, along with Tim Miller.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Firebread
Django Rheidheart, is my personal favorite.

finally someone else who listens to django
fight the power... with peace

Originally Posted by Cockpuncher 2.0
Fail town, population you

When God said "Let there be light", Joey Jordison said "Say please".

Man is a universe within himself
Bob Marley
Pox!