i JUST got a new acoustic guitar today for my birthday (tomorrow). it has been getting as cold as in the teens (Fahrenheit) but has not dropped below zero yet...well tomorrow i'm going out to eat with my parents and have band practice right afterward..this means leaving my guitar in my car for about an hour (give or take). i bought a pretty nice soft case for it but i was wondering if there are any other precautions i should take for tomorrow as far as keeping any damage from being done to my guitar. the gig bag is well padded and keeps its shape even without the guitar in it. also, the guitar has a laminate top if that makes a difference
TABBERS WANTED
If you are interested, and are up to it, please PM me for more info on the song.
Yes, it's just one song in particular, theres no shredding or fast solos.
It is a mellow, instrumental, clean, song.
Hot = wood expands
Cold = wood contracts
High humidity/moisture = wood warps
Low humidity/dryness = wood dries up and sorta warps.

There's not much of a difference, but it's nothing that will harm or effect the playability or sound of the guitar in any way.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
so nothing should really happen??
TABBERS WANTED
If you are interested, and are up to it, please PM me for more info on the song.
Yes, it's just one song in particular, theres no shredding or fast solos.
It is a mellow, instrumental, clean, song.
Actually... temperature can indeed damage a guitar. Extreme hot can melt the glue that binds the guitar together(yikes!).

Extreme cold and then reintroduction to room temperature can cause instant cracking as soon as you open a hard case.

The best way to treat your guitar in terms of anything is moderation.

If you have to leave your guitar in the cold for a while and reintroduce it to room temperature, leave it in it's case for a while to let it slowly adjust back to normal temperature(the more time, the better).

The safest thing to do though, is to bring the guitar in with you if possible. It'll pretty much stay in room temperature most of the time.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
If it's for only an hour as you said, you will be just fine. The air within the car wont have time to cool down, and the insulation from the case will help too. For anything longer than two hours or so, you might want to bring it in. In the case that it does get really cold, just make sure you let it warm up slowly (meaning leave it in the case inside for a while).
Actually, I have a case that sounds almost exactly the same. I would bring the guitar in with you. Trust me, the padding is great at protecting, but is absolutely terrible insulation for temperatures. Just carrying my guitar from my car to inside my church, about 30 yards from door of car to couch in youth room, my guitar was cold to touch. I wouldn't risk the possible problems.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
I had a question about the same kind of thing. My music room is always really cold since its in my basement, around 60-65 F. Is it harmful to the guitar if I play in front of a space heater in a cold room?
Don't need a gun to blow your mind.
Maybe... Large temperature differences between one part and another part of the guitar can cause stress in the wood. There's a slight chance it might do something to the guitar(like cause a crack), but I wouldn't lose sleep over it. 60 degrees is a little bit low in temperature though, so maybe try to take it to somewhere closer to 70?
Equipment:

Quote by captivate
Maybe... Large temperature differences between one part and another part of the guitar can cause stress in the wood. There's a slight chance it might do something to the guitar(like cause a crack), but I wouldn't lose sleep over it. 60 degrees is a little bit low in temperature though, so maybe try to take it to somewhere closer to 70?

Thanks. I try not to play directly in front of it, so hopefully nothing bad comes of it. Also, do you think at night I should keep my guitar upstairs in my room where its warmer, so as to not stress the wood from prolonged cold? I keep it in a pretty well insulated hard TKL case, so would this just be overkill? This is my first acoustic so I'm just making sure my ignorance on the subject doesn't hurt it haha.
Don't need a gun to blow your mind.
Last edited by muppet master at Dec 4, 2008,
Yeah. That might be a better for your guitar. Just make sure you don't put the guitar over a heating vent or anything like that and you should be fine.
Equipment: