Hello all,

I have been trolling these boards for awhile and have found some very useful information. It is great to see such a friendly, and helpful guitar community.

I'm in my mid 30's and started playing guitar (I have wanted to do it my whole life, just never did unfortunately). Now that my sons are interested in music, I am sharing the experience with them.

I just bought my first Tube amp which is the new Bogner Alchemist Head + 2x12 Cab. I received the head today, and although I was disappointed the cab will not show up tomorrow, I ripped open the product manual to acquaint myself with the controls and operational instructions.

I cannot find any Information on what type of cable I need to connect my head to the cab. It looks like a typical instrument cable, but with all the warnings, I wanted to make sure. Is that all I need?

The manual description verbatim is:
"Set the amp to standby if no speakers are connected. For instance, if you are using the amp as a preamp or to drive a slave amp, without a speaker or suitable load box connected, you must set the amp to standby. Failure to do so may cause extensive damage to the amp and its output transformer."

Lastly, does this mean that I could connect my guitar to the input on the alchemist head and run the speaker output to the guitar input on my old modeling amp to try it out?

Thanks in advance!!!
Happy Riffing

Justin
You need a speaker cable to connect the head to the cab. It looks like a standard 1/4 instrument cable but its a little different. They are pretty cheap and your local music shop should be able to point you in the right direction.
speaker cable.

DO NOT USE AN INSTRUMENT CABLE

why you ask? because of the ability of current-handling ability (or lack thereof) of instrument cables. the electricity sent out by a amp head will fry (and also hurt the amp) the instrument cable, as it is designed to carry a much lesser-load than speaker cable.
any speaker cable will do. i use a classic livewire speaker cable. black, 3 feet. does everything I need it to.

i wouldn't mess around with the head until the cab comes. as far as I know, it's an expensive head and blowing it up days after it arrives would be a huge bummer for me.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

SOUND MASON σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Pickups for sale!
yeah, dont turn it on for real until its hooked up, youll blow the **** out of it like a fat lady sitting on a kitten
You need a speaker cable to connect the head to the cab. It looks like a standard 1/4 instrument cable but its a little different. They are pretty cheap and your local music shop should be able to point you in the right direction.
Wow, thanks for the quick responses. I certainly appreciate it. I wasn't actually going to try the latter part of my question, unless I had feedback blessing the idea. I am a bit terrified to blow up the new head, lol. I just have tubitis!!! I want to hear it oh so bad. I will really be upset if I miss the UPS guy tomorrow!

I will stop by GC and pick up some speaker wire tomorrow.

Thanks again!!

Justin
The 5 dollars saves you 300 dollars of repairs.
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel