I've been playing for about a year now and with a band for about a two months, I know alot of actual songs but when someone comes over and asks me to play them something for them I cant just shred for a bit and sound impressive (like the guitarist for my band, just picks it up and melts some faces).

Are there any little licks that you play to impress people and make them go that guys really good.
Just learn the basics of music, like scales, and play them. I mean, its not like the artists those songs you played had heard the song already and just copied it down
You don't have to shred. For me an impressive bass line is a funky one. Play NWA - Express Yourself. It sounds a lot nicer and brothers will be grooving with you.
I play like myself. If people don't give two sharts about playing from the heart and soul, then why are we even playing music? It's soulless to shred and melt faces if it doesn't mean anything other than impressing the everyman.
BASSES

Yamaha RBX270L Custom Fretless
Traben Tribal Sun 5 L
Fender Custom Jazz Bass L

EFFECTS

BOSS DD-7
BOSS OC-3
BOSS RC-2
BOSS TU-2
Tech 21 Sans Amp Bass Driver DI

AMP

Yorkville XM200 Combo
personally, I wait until they start to play, and then write something under it. Not root notes, just backing lines. As said before, knowledge of scales and keys come in handy, therefore you know what to use. But the key thing is expression. Try experimenting with different phrasing and technique. Fingers/pick is one thing, but try using a soft felt mallet (I do) or if your guitarist has an E-bow, use that. Shredding is for guitarists, thought is reserved for bass.
Duck

Bass tones are hard to find.
My Band
Mesa Boogie M-Pulse 360
Madison MAB 4x10
Warwick Thumb BO 5
Quote by Micehorns
You don't have to shred. For me an impressive bass line is a funky one. Play NWA - Express Yourself. It sounds a lot nicer and brothers will be grooving with you.

that.
funk is what i think sounds best on bass and its what impresses people. or play your low B string if you got one when a girls on your amp. they like the rumble. lol.
blemonese of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join
Quote by camhussynec
Its like getting anal for the first time. It hurts like hell but eventully ull get used to it and itll feel fine

Thanks for nothing
higher ground - RHCP
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
I usually play a recognizable riff or a little scale run...Nothing fast or that flashy, just playing something. I play the descending line in Seek and Destroy a lot....The one that goes through two octaves of pentatonic nonsense.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
happy birthday.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by Mutant Corn
Random blues scale wanking usually goes over well for me....

yeahhh blues scale is my back-up at pretty much all times. If I can't think of what to do I'll just revert to blues scale >_>.
The people that are thick enough to go when someone plays something are mainstream-loving non-musicians. To impress them, you can do one of two things: play fast or play something familiar. To impress a guy, play fast. To impress a girl, play something familiar. To impress a hermaphrodite, play Longview at three times the speed.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
I just wank around and play stupid things, like.

---0---0--0--0-2-4-
-0---0--0--0----
-----------------
-------------------

The effect is the same; they go away and leave you in peace. I mean, what do i have to prove?

And if someone i want to impress comes along, wanking on the blues scale, scale runs and recognisable tunes works for me, most of all funk aswell.
Play something that makes you happy. If they don't get it, its their problem not yours.

I love going to guitar center when there's about 3 bass players in the bass area and they are all playing to impress each other. Its the funniest thing to watch and listen to.
Quote by aceofbass131
Shredding is for guitarists, thought is reserved for bass.

"Shredding" is having a high degree of technical proficiency. Why is this only for guitarists?
And to the other comments along the lines of "Funk is what sounds best on bass" - don't be so narrow minded.
Quote by Metalfreak777
Dude if i were you i'd look more at bands like Dragonforce, Dragonland, Dream Theatre and Power Quest, most of their songs are either in E major, A major, C major or D majhor

How do you NOT just wanna smash the guy in the face?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by Bass First
I just wank around and play stupid things, like.

---0---0--0--0-2-4-
-0---0--0--0----
-----------------
-------------------

The effect is the same; they go away and leave you in peace. I mean, what do i have to prove?

And if someone i want to impress comes along, wanking on the blues scale, scale runs and recognisable tunes works for me, most of all funk aswell.

I play that too but I do it on the E and A. Sometimes I will do some of my terrible popping and slapping. I have to go slow and really focus on staying as clean as I can manage but the people who see me are too ignorant to know otherwise.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Just practice everyday until you are able to knock out a scale you invented very fast. That's how guitarists do it. Or you can just play around with G and D strings at the top of the fretboard and improvise - that sounds good too.
You can't comment on gear until you have tried it!
Quote by Mutant Corn
Random blues scale wanking usually goes over well for me....

I don't even do that, I'll usually take a note away from the blues scale and play in the minor pentatonic.
Apparently it sounds like I'm playing with feeling and emotion because it sounds bluesy.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you