I just got a Bugera 333xl head and a Behringer 400 watt BG412S Ultrastack. My problem is that the head will turn on and all of the lights go one, but there's no sound coming from my cabinet. I do not have a speaker cable i'm using an instrument cable to connect the head to the cabinet. I know everyone says to use a speaker cable, but i thought that if u used an instrument cable it should still work, but there isn't a single sound coming from my cab. I don't know if there's something wrong with the head or the cab or what, but it's pissing me off. I've been waiting to get this for forever and i'm so pissed that it doesn't work. Plus, i've been searching for speaker cables, but i can't find them anywhere i've tried Best Buy, Circuit City, Walmart... are most speaker cables bought online then?
Please HELP!!!
from the q&a which amp thread:

Cables:

Instrument Cable - Coaxial (uses two wires) cable. One cable is for the signal, the other is for shielding from stray RF frequencies. Since the guitar puts out a weak signal, is a low resistance signal, and feeding a high-resistance signal (your amp), it is susceptible to RF frequencies. To combat this, one of the wires in a coaxial cable was replaced with shielding to prevent interference. Only one wire is needed, since the signal's weak anyway.

Speaker Cable - Also a coaxial cable. However, both wires are signal wires. Because the amp puts out an extremely large signal, the one wire in instrument cables won't hold up and will fry up. In addition to this, the high-resistance device (your amp) feeding a low resistance device (the speakers) creates an environment that is not very susceptible to RF frequencies. Thus, you don't need the shielding an instrument cable gives, and the shielding is replaced with another signal wire.

Now, you can use a speaker cable for instruments, but you'll get some hum. However, if you use an instrument cable for speakers, you'll fry it up. And then, if you're using a tube amp, since there's no load, the output transformer has nothing to apply the load to, and your amp'll die.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
I just tried that and it ****ing WORKS!!! Why does the standyby switch have to be on? It might the amp itself, but it's pretty staticky do u think that it could be because of it not having speaker cables? Also, if i connect two cables into both loudspeeker inputs will it sound better? How long should i use the instrument cable for, i heard that it can ruin your speakers. I'm also hearing a little clicking sound prob every 30 sec. or so from the head (presumably the tubes) what is that from. And, the back of my guitar head is getting really hot even only after about 10-15 min. of playing.

BTW thanks for suggesting that
Last edited by JoeSatriani#9 at Dec 3, 2008,
you are god damn lucky it works
If you were using that with an instrument cable it could have blown the head.
You cannot use instrument cables in place of speaker cables.

wait i misread. You can blow your head by using that
Turn off the amplifier now. And go out and buy a speaker cable at GC or something.
Quote by JoeSatriani#9
I just tried that and it ****ing WORKS!!! Why does the standyby switch have to be on? It might the amp itself, but it's pretty staticky do u think that it could be because of it not having speaker cables? Also, if i connect two cables into both loudspeeker inputs will it sound better? How long should i use the instrument cable, i heard that it can ruin your speakers.

BTW thanks for suggesting that

you're kidding right? seriously is this your first stack? Im not poking fun but yea jw. Also, def. get speaker cables the dude above me somewhere supplied good as information.
Quote by mikeyElite
from the q&a which amp thread:

Now, you can use a speaker cable for instruments, but you'll get some hum. However, if you use an instrument cable for speakers, you'll fry it up. And then, if you're using a tube amp, since there's no load, the output transformer has nothing to apply the load to, and your amp'll die.

here it is...
Wait so, lemme add this up.

Bugeras 50/50 chance of survival + this kids knowledge of tube amps + an instrument cable = where do you live so I can stay away?

:P
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
Quote by Highwaytohell
you are god damn lucky it works
If you were using that with an instrument cable it could have blown the head.
You cannot use instrument cables in place of speaker cables.

wait i misread. You can blow your head by using that
Turn off the amplifier now. And go out and buy a speaker cable at GC or something.

+1

Seriously, go get a speaker cable. They're not that expensive and it's better than wrecking your head.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.
Quote by sesstreets
Wait so, lemme add this up.

Bugeras 50/50 chance of survival + this kids knowledge of tube amps + an instrument cable = where do you live so I can stay away?

:P

ha. that made me chuckle
GEAR
Schecter Tempest Custom
B-52 AT-100
Mesa 2x12
Korg Pitchblack
Boss NS-2
BBE Green Screamer
Line 6 DL4
Turn your amp off and leave it off until you find a proper speaker cable. MF has em so does GC and all sorts of places on line places like best buy etc wont have em go to a proper music store. Wait the few days to get it then use the amp again. You will find it to be a seriously expensive repair if it blows from using a instrument cable. And it will not be covered under warranty.