For anyone who's dealt with this situation before, I paid about 620 dollars for text books for this semester of school alone. I'm obviously planning on selling them back but I have two questions

1) The school offers a "textbook buy back" the last week of classes where they'll actually purchase the books back from you with a price they pull out of their ass, I really don't know how they'll determine that or whatever. Should I do this, or should I go the route of selling my books online?

2) How much money can I expect to get back? Half of what I paid? One tenth of what I paid? Just approximately because I honestly have no idea what a used text book would be worth
Generally the buy back systems are pretty good PROVIDED your book is in good condition. But ask around to see if anyone you know is looking to buy text books first.
in my experience, don't.

the price you get back for the book depends on how much demand there is for it, how many copies they have and whether it will even be used again next semester. my freshman year I bought a $200 organic chemisry book and got $80 back from the textbook buyback. Your best bet is to see how much the book is going for used and sell it to someone who is taking the class next semester for a lower price than what the book store is charging for it (maybe by $20 or so), you will get much more back than by selling back to the bookstore.
I doubt that would happen as most people I'm friends with and whatnot either aren't the same major or me or were taking the same level I courses I took. But yeah, that's still not a bad idea.

It really pisses me off that I've had to spend so much on some of these text books I've barely used, but I guess that's how it goes...I made the mistake of buying new books instead of looking for used books and I'm paying for it, haha
Probably like 20% of what you paid.

You get more money if you sell it privately to another student. I also hang on to my textbooks if I think they're going to be directly relevant to my career path.
you don't even need to be friends with them.

what I do is post a facebook bulletin.
Quote by al112987
in my experience, don't.

the price you get back for the book depends on how much demand there is for it, how many copies they have and whether it will even be used again next semester. my freshman year I bought a $200 organic chemisry book and got $80 back from the textbook buyback. Your best bet is to see how much the book is going for used and sell it to someone who is taking the class next semester for a lower price than what the book store is charging for it (maybe by $20 or so), you will get much more back than by selling back to the bookstore.

That's actually not as bad as I expected, I mean it's almost half at least. Again as I said I don't think that will be very realistic for me, but I'll try to find people that need the books I have I suppose
For some reason I can never keep the damn things in decent condition. I've had some luck however with selling it a little cheaper than the price of used books to another student.
I wish I didn't buy books this quarter, I only used one (a cheapo $60 book
Why did I buy two $120 ones also? Ugh)
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Book buybacks are crap pretty much anywhere. I sell my books online, for a little more than what I would get at the store, but less than new/used. Pretty good deal.

<sob story>
Last semester, bought a NEW Financial Accounting book, because used did not exist. $350. Tried to sell it back at the end of the semester at the book buyback. Apparently there was a new edition released, so i get $0. Turned around and sold it online for $80 or something.
</sob story>
Good Deals: imgooley, pak1351
Quote by al112987
you don't even need to be friends with them.

what I do is post a facebook bulletin.

Hmm not a bad idea, but I usually only add people on facebook if I'm friends with them, haha.
If the class is offered next semester, just go into the bookstore and leave a note with your phone number and a price about $20 under their used book price. You'll sell it in no time and you'll probably get more than the campus buyback would give you.
Quote by sharkbait08
Book buybacks are crap pretty much anywhere. I sell my books online, for a little more than what I would get at the store, but less than new/used. Pretty good deal.

<sob story>
Last semester, bought a NEW Financial Accounting book, because used did not exist. $350. Tried to sell it back at the end of the semester at the book buyback. Apparently there was a new edition released, so i get $0. Turned around and sold it online for $80 or something.
</sob story>

Now THAT sucks
Quote by DasFishy
If the class is offered next semester, just go into the bookstore and leave a note with your phone number and a price about $20 under their used book price. You'll sell it in no time and you'll probably get more than the campus buyback would give you.

What do you mean leave a note?
Quote by fattyDQ

go to the shelves with the books
put a sticky note up that says

$xx
867-5309
Now say his name.....
Quote by fattyDQ

Walk into the bookstore with a piece of paper that has your phone number and the price you are asking for the textbook. Set it down so that people will see it who are looking to buy the textbook that you want to sell. Walk out.

But if you want to be particularly sneaky, put it under the top book. That way people who are picking it up will find the note, but the store employees won't.
The problem with that is noone can go to the area of the store where the books are except employees. You just go to the desk with the course number and text book name and they find it for you, probably to make more money and prevent things like this from happening haha.
Quote by fattyDQ
The problem with that is noone can go to the area of the store where the books are except employees. You just go to the desk with the course number and text book name and they find it for you, probably to make more money and prevent things like this from happening haha.

They do this so when you ask for a used book they give you the shittiest one.
Now say his name.....
Quote by lordofthefood1
They do this so when you ask for a used book they give you the shittiest one.

Yeah that sounds about right haha
Quote by fattyDQ
Any other suggestions?

I had a teacher that kept the numbers of students with decent used books and when the next class started he gave the number to ones that needed it.
the buybacks are usually ripoffs.

i've had them offer me $20 for a $120 book that was in perfect condition. obviously i laughed at them and walked away.

but in general they have always offered me really low prices for the majority of my books. i usually end up keeping them, or selling them to someone else myself. i'd much rather keep a book i paid $120 for than sell it back to the school for $20, even if i most likely will never look at it again.
My school has a website where we can put up ads for our old textbooks and sell them ourselves... does yours have something similar?
Last edited by holy smoke at Dec 4, 2008,
Quote by holy smoke
My school has a website where we can put up ads for our old textbooks and sell them ourselves... does yours have something similar?

I don't think so, I'll have to ask around later today
I downloaded half of my books for free on the internet. God bless people with scanners.

Most of the others are psychology books that I need to keep or history books that I won't get any money for because they only cost a tenner in the first place.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Buybacks are garbage.

You really can't go find your own textbooks? As in, employees won't allow you to? That's harsh, man. I've been to six different uni bookstores at two unis, and while both offered to help you look, neither would stop you looking on your own.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)