i am looking to purchase a microphone to record vocals, acoustic and electric guitar and i cant decide if i want to go with a usb condenser mic (like the blue snowball) or go with a dynamic mic like the shure sm58 or sm 57 and then use a preamp or mixer to convert the signal to either usb or 3.5 mm line in jack on my computer. the usb mic would be about 100 bucks and the shure set up with a preamp or mixer would be from 150-200 depending on the preamp/mixer. in your opinion, which will give me better quality recordings? which one would you pick if you were in my shoes? any comments on the subject will be greatly appreciated. oh and here is some songs recorded with my current setup which is just a 20$ usb mic from walmart. i expect something much better than this
here
thanks!
I've heard the SM57 can be great at a lot of things, but it's especially good at mic'ing amps. I haven't heard too much about the Snowball, I'm interested myself.
IMO you would get better sound quality with an Digital computer interface with mic preamps onboard, instead of running the line through your computer's stock sound card.

For starters you'll probably want a PCI sound card instead of USB, I've personally used one of these: M-Audio Audiophile PCI card, it's good for its price.

Or you could go a more expensive route if you have a Firewire port on your computer and get a firewire interface.
depending on what you want to record more, you'll want to get one or the other.

For electric you will need a dynamic mic, and an interface ^^ Interfaces might be better if your amp isn't that great and you want something easy

For acoustic, you'll DEFINITELY want a condenser mic.
Quote by sashki
A lot of pros do that: if they play a wrong note, they'll hit it again to make it look as if it's intentional. It's called "jazz", aparently.
How much money do you have? It's easy to get something to start and play around for around $250.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
i dont want to go much over 200, but i guess 250 would be allright. i would probably record more acoustic and voice then electric. and i have a laptop with firewire so i could use a firewire interface. i just really dont know what i need for using something other than a straight usb microphone, so if you could tell me all that i would need total to run a regular mic, it would be much appreciated, thanks
Alesis IO 2: $138.

MXL Package: $99

$237. Use the rest of the money for a mike stand.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

will i be better of with a firewire interface as opposed to usb, or are they pretty similar? and i want to record electric guitar and a condenser mic wouldnt be good for that. i have been researching the sm57 and it sounds like a good all around mic for vocals and all types of guitar, do you guys think that the sm57 would be the best choice?
They're pretty similar...choose an interface based on price and features.

Yeah, you could substitute the SM57 for the mike package without much of a compromise, or need to replace a mike in the future.
Quote by keiron_d

would you recommend the alesis interface over say an m-audio, or are they gunna be fairly similar? i pretty much just need to decide on an interface now, im 100% gunna get the condenser mic package or the sm57 or both
Either one will do just fine for a starter kit.
Quote by keiron_d

well those are around the 130 dollar range, lets say i put down 200 for one, would there a signifacant quality difference or will i not hear alot of difference till i get to the really expensive ones?
There probably won't be too much of a difference. I'd spend the money on a decent software (Mixcraft, Reaper) and maybe some headphones (Sennheiser HD202).
Quote by keiron_d

Quote by Fast_Fingers
There probably won't be too much of a difference. I'd spend the money on a decent software (Mixcraft, Reaper)

Reaper is free, unless I'm missing something?
Unless you donate to stop that box coming up for 6 seconds when you start it.
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
According to them, it's not free, it's a fully functional demo.
Quote by keiron_d

Quote by krazykxrider
would you recommend the alesis interface over say an m-audio, or are they gunna be fairly similar? i pretty much just need to decide on an interface now, im 100% gunna get the condenser mic package or the sm57 or both

I'd personally go with M-Audio any day over an Alesis.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
what do you guys think of the presonus inpsire? i found one brand new for 150, would you go with that over the m-audio or the alesis?
At that price, definitely.
Quote by keiron_d