im about to buy a violin, but i don really know about brands, and i dont want anything very expensive, also, ill like you to tell me which would be better a 4/4 or a 3/4 if im 1.80m..

please help me =D
do not get a 3/4. i dont know what 1.80m is but 3/4 is usually for children or small women. 4/4 is full size. get that and youlul be fine. ive been playin violin for 12 years so any questions just message me
if you're six foot you're playing a full size violin. 3/4 size is like under 5' 4"
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
LAWL, 1.8M, the metric system is for suckers who can only work with multiples of ten.
Quote by tona_107
LAWL, 1.8M, the metric system is for suckers who can only work with multiples of ten.

practical suckers at least =)
A violin thread in my gg&a?

gasp!
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
You need to try them for size - you should be able to hold the violin under your chin and curl your hand around the scroll (the violin equivalent of a headstock) - if you can reach comfortably on a full size get that. You shouldn't need anything smaller but if you can't reach try a 3/4 size.

If you are just starting it will sound horrible whatever you get so just buy a cheap chinese thing to start you off. Unfortunately beginner violinists always sound like they are torturing cats - more vile-din than violin :/

Edit: Don't bother buying a proper shoulder rest to start with - make one, or use a sponge, and hold it on the violin with elastic bands. A decent shoulder rest costs as much as a cheap started violin lol
Quote by spooner1957
do not get a 3/4. i dont know what 1.80m is but 3/4 is usually for children or small women. 4/4 is full size. get that and youlul be fine. ive been playin violin for 12 years so any questions just message me

Though, I do agree on getting the 4/4 or full sized violin, I do NOT agree on listening to anything else this guy may have to say. Poor grammar and no understanding of the metric system. Meh.

Get a decent shoulder rest. I don't agree with getting the sponge and tying it on the instrument. Buy a well priced shoulder rest that is comfortable for you. It really makes a LOT of difference.

I'll look into some good starter brands and get back to you later, as I'm currently in school.
Quote by Dizeaz2112
Though, I do agree on getting the 4/4 or full sized violin, I do NOT agree on listening to anything else this guy may have to say. Poor grammar and no understanding of the metric system. Meh.

Get a decent shoulder rest. I don't agree with getting the sponge and tying it on the instrument. Buy a well priced shoulder rest that is comfortable for you. It really makes a LOT of difference.

I'll look into some good starter brands and get back to you later, as I'm currently in school.

k before saying anything about anyone else you should realize that im a professional violinist, been playing in professional orchestras since i was 13 and make quite a bit of money playing violin gigs. not understanding the metric system is due to a brain injury caused by a brain surgery to remove a brain tumor. this is a simple response not school therefore i'm not going to check my grammar. if you wanna be a musician you better learn to not be such an ass
Grammar makes things easier to understand. So does the metric system. Brain injury? I doubt you'd be a professional. Don't be a jerk, at least look up the conversions on google or something.

And TS, a good violin is expensive. You'll have to deal with sub-par sound until you get serious, but that's just the nature of the instrument. Good luck!

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
i would think that a good idea might be to get something used for a first violin. i know on craigslist there are always a ton of violins. if you are using the metric system i would assume you arent in the US though, so no craigslist. but there might be ads in local music shops where you can find a violin that should be pretty good for not too much. or at least something better than the new stuff at that price.
Quote by stradivari310
Grammar makes things easier to understand. So does the metric system. Brain injury? I doubt you'd be a professional. Don't be a jerk, at least look up the conversions on google or something.

And TS, a good violin is expensive. You'll have to deal with sub-par sound until you get serious, but that's just the nature of the instrument. Good luck!

laugh all you want and insult my disabilities all you will. last violin job i made 900 dollars. that's called being a professional violin player. you can probably find jobs too
lol Ultimate-Violin.com please

UV FTW
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
Quote by neorequiem
im about to buy a violin, but i don really know about brands, and i dont want anything very expensive, also, ill like you to tell me which would be better a 4/4 or a 3/4 if im 1.80m..

please help me =D

I used to play violin, I quit just this year as a matter of fact, got fed up with the kids in the orchestra (who all thought they were God's gift to music, and most were preps anyway)... and I just didnt like the music anymore... Anyway, you're going to want to get "DOMINANT" strings, they're better than the average string, its not a brand, its a type of string... secondly, get a good shoulder and chin rest, try them out on YOUR violin before buying, I had a mis-fitted chin rest that hurt like hell if I played for more than a few minutes... AND GET A FULL SIZE!!!
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

I've been playing violin for a fair few years, and I have this to say:

>If you're an adult, it's 4/4 size, definitley.
>Dominant strings are a nice touch but the ones already on it should be ok for quite a while (violin strings last longer than guitar strings).
>Paesold are a nice German company which make nice quality violins for a decent price. Look into them.
>You'll also need Rosin for the bow and some sort of rest (a sponge is a decent budget option but if you can get a clip on rest, they're much more adjustable for your shoulder).

Good Luck.
Quote by spooner1957
k before saying anything about anyone else you should realize that im a professional violinist, been playing in professional orchestras since i was 13 and make quite a bit of money playing violin gigs. not understanding the metric system is due to a brain injury caused by a brain surgery to remove a brain tumor. this is a simple response not school therefore i'm not going to check my grammar. if you wanna be a musician you better learn to not be such an ass

Ok, I'm not going to question whether or not you've actually had a brain tumor or whatever, but since when do tumors feed on one's understanding of the metric system?

I've been playing violin for the past five or six years, depending on how you look at it. The first year I didn't take it so seriously, so I tend not to count it, but that's besides the point. My point being, I do believe that I'm qualified to give advice, and call bull**** on your stupidity. You can sit there, brag about how you're a "professional" violinist and all, but nobody really cares. You're not impressing anyone. Nobody cares how much money you made at your last show. As a matter of fact, when I play for someone, I do it for free. I play music because I enjoy it, not to make money. So am I really that much of an ass? By the way, don't tell me what I "better" do, unless you plan on making me do it yourself.

As for the topic, Bartdevil's got it down, with the exception of the sponge of course. That CAN work for you, I just always hated it. It never felt right for me. I dunno.

At any rate, hope you get SOME help out of this and find what you're looking for.