my band, a trio, has two lead singers; me (the guitarist) and the bass player
I'm pretty decent as a punk rock lead vocalist, but the bass player tries too hard and can't really hold notes and stuff...
he's decent, but he tries to sound great, and when he overshoots, it's obvious
soo...
should I try to help him sing better (like tell him not to drag notes out as long) or just tell him not to sing?
like, what do you think would go over better?
Try to help him sing better. If you tell him he can't sing, then it could just start an argument within the band. Or just tell him not to overdo it, and that his voice is fine the way it is. Definitely trying to help him and work with him will go over a lot better than just flat out revoking his singing rights.
Quote by MichaelOfCanton
a kazoo will rock some ass for like 85 cents.

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Krik harmret cuz he can prey der gertur wit te wurr wurr pedar!!

http://www.myspace.com/caledonia
Quote by koslack
Tell him to take singing lessons. Every serious singer should.

Expesive, no?

Just kind of help him along a bit, and if he doesnt get it, get him to stop singing.
Quote by bombsquadjunky
Try to help him sing better. If you tell him he can't sing, then it could just start an argument within the band. Or just tell him not to overdo it, and that his voice is fine the way it is. Definitely trying to help him and work with him will go over a lot better than just flat out revoking his singing rights.

This
Quote by Gmurcielago14
Expesive, no?

Just kind of help him along a bit, and if he doesnt get it, get him to stop singing.

yea and it's gonna go down real well when you tell him to stop

seriously, lesson are a far better idea. when you sing, do you know what you do to make a "decent" sound? cuz if not i suggest not trying to teach him.
Who decided that pie would be sold on Tuesday but not Wednesday?
yeah, you guys just gotta be honest with each other in the band...tell each other when things suck...and as a singer he should know what he struggles in singing, just like us guitarists know what we suck at and work on it...I'd say something, you'll never make it with a ****ty singer
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"
Kill him? He's a punk rock bassist they're easy to find. I kid, but if you don't really write originals yet, tell him he's only singing what he writes and you what you write. Then write more and he won't sing. Winning solution?
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
Quote by bombsquadjunky

This. Just tell him what he's doing wrong and have him work on it.
ADELOS
POP PUNK
for fans of...

Motion City Soundtrack, Get Up Kids, Jimmy Eat World, Transit, Brand New, Dashboard Confessional, Early November, Fall Out Boy, Jawbreaker, Polar Bear Club, The Story So Far, the Wonder Years, Something Corporate.
Lessons. Every serious singer should. Expensive... not really any moreso than decent guitar lessons.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.