Hey everyone,
Right now Im looking for a new acoustic guitar for Hanuca/Christmas/Birthday :]
Right now Im really into old music like folk and blues in the 30's. You got there the Woody Guthri sound, Robert Johnson. Im Trying to play their songs but I found that I get closer to their sound with my old classic guitar than with my acouistic.
What Acoustic do you recommend if my budget is 500$? (Or maybe in this budget I cant find this kind of acoustics?).
Thanks.
well im sure you could find something if you looked around alot but the guitars BUILT for those kinds of sounds are unessacarily(sp?) expensive. i think that gibson has a tribute robert johnson guitar, but as always with gibson only jesus reincarnate can afford it.
when ur lookin for that kind of guitar though a smaller bodied guitar can get you what ur lookin for, im thinking like a concert or grand concert size or maybe an audatorium.

"I have better things to do...
Like play with my balls."

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Gibson do have vitage sounding acoustic/Tribute series but they are very expensive plus I cant find them here.
Today when I checked a big guitar store here I found only the Fender Resonator attractibe for me though it is a HEAVY guitar. They also had another resonator model which is lighter (steel+maple i think) but it sound loosey compared to the orginial steel resonator.
What do you think about that one? will it suit me?
Well, don't buy one that is a Robert Johnson or someone's signature model, they are expensive. What you want (most likely) is a small-bodied guitar. The average guitars most are used to are Dreadnoughts, which have a ton of bass, made for strumming basically. Small bodied guitars are more balanced, so that the bass and treble is more mixed and balanced, more even...this makes them good for fingerstyle.

There are a plethora of small-body sizes out there, my suggestion is to go to a music store and ask to try out different small-bodied (or non-dreadnoght) guitars. Personally I love the "parlor sized" guitar, sometimes referred to as a 000. These, in my opinion, are the most flexible guitars with a folk/bluesy sound when fingerpicking, and enough bass that when you are strumming it still sounds decent.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steel-string_acoustic_guitar#Styles
Quote by jony543
Gibson do have vitage sounding acoustic/Tribute series but they are very expensive plus I cant find them here.
Today when I checked a big guitar store here I found only the Fender Resonator attractibe for me though it is a HEAVY guitar. They also had another resonator model which is lighter (steel+maple i think) but it sound loosey compared to the orginial steel resonator.
What do you think about that one? will it suit me?

if your going to be slides ALOT then i say go for it, so long as you know it is a quality guitar. honestly I personally wouldn't get a resonator just because i feel its kind of restrictive but if it sounds good do it bro

"I have better things to do...
Like play with my balls."

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Thanks for the advice guys. The resonator, it has a very specific sound indeed and who knows maybe someday I join a pop group where I need to just strum D C G. I problaly check another leads here other than this one.
I surely check this smallbodied guitars. They are not very popular so they are hard to find but what do you think about TAYLOR Big Baby ot Gibson J-45?
edit: forget about the gibson. ***** expensive.
What do you think about the big baby?
Last edited by jony543 at Dec 5, 2008,
I have never played the big-baby, but while it is a small instrument, it was intented for travel. I meant non-dreadnought guitars, not travel guitars that are literally small. Small-bodied guitar is just the generic name for non-dreadnought and non-jumbo guitars that are smaller than the dreadnought and jumbo guitars.

The Big Baby, which I have heard is a good guitar, is a smaller scale Dreadnought, so it is smaller and quieter but the tone is still that of a dreadnought.

Try looking for a "parlor guitar" or a "Auditorium guitar", commonly shown as a 000 model or a 00 model.

Just go to a store and try everything out that you can.
Last edited by ReChord at Dec 5, 2008,