What is the difference between the Marshall JCM800 and 900?
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
JCM800 = more balls, darker sounding, early power stage breakup, no reverb, no fx loop
JCM900 = more gain, brighter, more clean headroom, reverb, fx loop
Quote by al112987
JCM800 = more balls, darker sounding, early power stage breakup, no reverb, no fx loop

My Jcm 800 has reverb though
Quote by Pingis_Or_Death
My Jcm 800 has reverb though

My bad, I was only thinking about the 2203 and 2204s, the 2205 and 2210s both have reverb and fx loops I believe. I take it you have one of the 2 channel amps? (2205 or 2210?)
Quote by al112987

so would a 900 fall short if I want a hardrock sound like Taking Back Sunday? not saying they are hard rock, just that they use an aggressive tone in Louder Now
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
Quote by al112987
My bad, I was only thinking about the 2203 and 2204s, the 2205 and 2210s both have reverb and fx loops I believe. I take it you have one of the 2 channel amps? (2205 or 2210?)

Yeah, that's it.
900s have something of a bad rep for being sterile tonally and lacking in character. I personally don't agree, but it would be worth checking into and making sure you like it before buying.
no
Quote by touji-za-nai
so would a 900 fall short if I want a hardrock sound like Taking Back Sunday? not saying they are hard rock, just that they use an aggressive tone in Louder Now

For some reason, something tells me that TBS used to use JCM900s, I could be wrong, but I just feel like I read that somewhere a few years back (idk, I'm not the biggest fan).

But like I said, the JCM800 will give you a bigger, ballsier tone, it's got more rolled off highs and more growl than a JCM900. But it doesn't have as much gain and it misses out on some of the features of the 900. In general, I (along with most people it seems) prefer the JCM800, but it's not as if the 900 is a bad amp or anything.
^I thought TBS used DSL's.
Is there any point in getting a JCM900 mostly for the clean headroom and only occasionally using the distortion? There's a few pretty sweet deals on some used ones I've seen.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
isnt the jcm800 only 1 channel?

that's stopped me from getting that amp
MY DESIGN/PHOTOGRAPHY TUMBLR
Quote by SEALSniper1152

If you take a jar, and whisper what you want to hate into it, then close the jar, coat it in crunchy peanut butter, and shove it up your ass. I'm pretty sure you could hate everything after that.
from what ive heard/read the jcm800 was originally a 1 channel amp, but then, in the 90s, people wanted more gain so they made the jcm900, which ive heard is like a spinoff of a 2 channel jcm 800.
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99
you used the right form of "their!" i commend you sir!

^there are 2 channel JCM 800's
You also forgot about the 4000 and 4001 JCM900's and their accompaning 50watt versions. 100watts switchable to 50, stereo output, FX loop, reverb for each channel, 6L6 powertubes.

And, yes, the JCM900 can give you a good tone like TBS. They use/used JCM900s, same with Thursday. I wanna say thrice, but I'm inclined to say they use mesas, instead. Matt Skiba from Alkaline Trio also uses a Marshall JCM900. It's a really good amp, I prefer it over the 800, myself. I think it has the best sounding cleans out of the JCM range and it's got a very versatile tone. My only gripe with it is how trebly it is on channel B. I cleaned it up a bit with some JJ (I believe they're JJ, might'a been GT's or Sovteks) 12at7's in the preamp

But, yeah, either of those amps will get you into the ballpark for the sound your looking for though.

also, there are a lot of variations of all these amps. I know there's a master volume version of the JCM900, I know there is at least one 2 channel 800, there's just a plethora of differant models. Early JCM900's ran differant tubes than later ones, as well.

I should add the JCM900 is a higher gain amp than the JCM800, it was targeted at "shredders" at the time. The JCM800 has a darker, rounder sounding low end with more chunk, while the JCM900 screams, has a highend that cuts through the thickest of mixes and has a ton of crunch.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
Last edited by Thomme at Dec 4, 2008,
Quote by touji-za-nai

No, the 900 would be perfect imo.

I love the JCM900.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Anyone know anything about JCM600's? I have one but it needs new tubes so haven't been able to try it.
Quote by IROBOTInferno
I've never been caught (beating off), but my dad was picking up my gf once and "accidentaly" grabbed her boobs.
The spicific jcm900 model I'm looking at is the JCM900 MKIII 2500 50watt.

Same exact model

Quote by zacharydak
Anyone know anything about JCM600's? I have one but it needs new tubes so haven't been able to try it.

I looked at some videos, if you don't know anything at all.. it's a much lower gain version of the 800 and 900 and has a more vintage voicing. Rock opposed to hard rock
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
Last edited by touji-za-nai at Dec 4, 2008,
I forgot to mention, if you wanna hear some amatuerish recordings of a JCM900 in action, check my profile. The Sekin songs, "Girls are Hawtt" and "Unexplained," were recorded with a Jagstang and a JCM900 and an Epiphone SG Special and a Kustom 120 watt combo. Those were recorded before I tamed the 900 with the 12AT7s.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
I bought a JCM 900 4500 recently and noticed it was considerably brighter than my 800 2205. I opened it (the 900) up and saw it was loaded with Jackson EL34s (really?) and Marshall ECC83s. I am thinking about dropping Mullard EL34s in the power and Tung-sol 12AX7s in the pre to darken the amp up a bit.
My plan is this to be the rhythm counterpart of my 800 for recordings and live situations, so I don't want it to be overwhelmingly bright, but still a little brighter than the 800. My 800 is tubed with JJ E34Ls and National 12AX7s.

Any thoughts?
I'd suggest JJs over Tungsol for darker tone.

Real N.O.S Mullards? Or Mullard reissues?
The JCM600 has a pretty bad reputation.

Fred used 2 JCM800 2203s with Greenback loaded cabs boosted with a Digitech Bad Monkey. Not sure what the new guy is using, and I think John Nolan use 800s too but I could be wrong. Eddie uses Dual Recs and some other stuff.

A 900 should be fine, but I would prefer an 800 myself. Personally, I'm happier with a 2210 myself. Sounds much better for that type of music than the 2204 I used to own.
Quote by Ddjembe Mutombo
JJ in the pre?
Mullards would be reissue.

Yep, JJ/Tesla 12ax7s are a bit darker than Tungsols which are actually pretty bright.

I'd recommend Groove Tubes el34m for "Mullard" reissues, the new sensor "Mullards" do not sound particularly good to my ears. I've been getting a lot of recommendations for the GTs though, so I may try them in my own amp. You may want to take a look at those.