Page 1 of 2
so pretty much, i put $40 down on an 'ultra' preamp module at the local guitar shop last weekend, and ended up having a guy trade with me instead, so now i have $40 to spend...and i don't know what on. it's not enough for any decent pedal i need, but enough for something useful i'm sure. what should i get?

i've already got good (not super high quality) cables, plethora of stolen/borrowed/bought (jk on that last one) picks, a Levi leather strap, straplocks and cleaning/fretboard conditioner gear, as well as a peg winder.

what should i get? i've got a chromatic tuner also...right now the only thing i can think of getting would be a replacement nut for my guitar, as the stock one is just black plastic. but i want to know what else i should consider at that price...

thanks in advance.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
^first off, if i was going to spend money on drugs there's only one that i would and that's alochol, which i've grown fond of bottled Bud Light.

other than that, i'm not using ANY drugs for recreation thank you, lol, don't want to screw my life over and/or lead to my death type of thing.

second, i didn't use cash so they're not gonna just gimme cash back, they'd just refund the card, but i want to go ahead and get any small things that i might be overlooking, which are essentially important in some cases.

so yea...
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Strings and picks?
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
^i'm still covered on strings for now, and i don't buy picks....only bought two packs in my whole life and the rest are all found/borrowed/stolen from guitar shops and friends...but thanks for the tip!!
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Quote by slash_rocks2005
^i'm still covered on strings for now, and i don't buy picks....only bought two packs in my whole life and the rest are all found/borrowed/stolen from guitar shops and friends...but thanks for the tip!!

Capo, slide, extra cables (i have about 6 extra patch cables)... or just save it up.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
in regards to Chaos:

i have string cutters, use old wife beaters (SOFT material indeed) for cloth, and have good quality cables as is. your suggestions are well appreciated though, i thought my OP would have suggested against your suggestions but oh well no biggy

in regards to evening_crow:

a capo might be a decent idea for the future, but i'm not really big on using them, never had a reason really. have a glass slide lol...already got a few extra cables as is, but still appreciate the suggestion.

but i think i may get a daisy chain type adapter, as right now i just use 9 volt batteries for my three pedals. that plus a bone nut would prolly come out to around that....but i still want suggestions
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
why not leave it on the gift card until you find something you want instead of forcing yourself to use the money just because you have it?
Thank you please.
^i DO want these small things, it's just that i'm always thinking bigger as in pedals and stuff, that i keep putting off getting the things that i need that are relatively inexpensive.

and i think my G-400 deserves a better quality nut to hold tuning better, and the daisy chain will eliminate cost of batteries in the long run. but there's always bound to be something else that is useful that i'll oversee, which is why i'm still taking suggestions.

an EQ pedal is actually my next hopefuly piece of gear, but that can wait a bit longer.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Quote by slash_rocks2005
^first off, if i was going to spend money on drugs there's only one that i would and that's alochol, which i've grown fond of bottled Bud Light.

other than that, i'm not using ANY drugs for recreation thank you, lol, don't want to screw my life over and/or lead to my death type of thing.

second, i didn't use cash so they're not gonna just gimme cash back, they'd just refund the card, but i want to go ahead and get any small things that i might be overlooking, which are essentially important in some cases.

so yea...

i have seen alcohol lead to more waisted lives/deaths that weed. Not saying alcohol is good or weed is good, Im just saying you worded it wrong. I work at the saturday market. Where the hippies run free and sell their tie dye bird wind chimes lol. Ive seen pot heads haha. Anyways

for 40 dollars you could get some strap locks or even a clean up kit for ur guitar. Mabey go to a pawn shop and find a cheapo acoustic for the camp fire
^lol i stated in the OP that i already had cleaning stuff and straplocks...and it's not stated but i do have an older Oscar Schmidt acoustic for mellow days.

i've seen friends turned into complete nightmares b/c of the drink, as well as family relatives' marriage slowly ruined b/c of it, but it's also something i know i can handle limiting myself to. drugs other than alcohol scare me though, they helped turn my dad into a junkie pretty much, and helped lead to his death. the logic doesn't make sense, but the emotional connection is pretty much what keeps me from drugs other than alcohol. any drug can be a gateway drug, but in my experience with friends, it was always weed or cigarettes that started some of the worst progressive changes...

now that the personal stuff's out the way, ha
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
You should get a liter of cola

Or a bunch of slides.

Or a cheap ass mic.
Try the one spot cale connecter daisy chain thing. Powers up to six pedals.
Strap locks or a better neck strap.

That,

or get a one spot extender or whatever, so you don't have to keep paying for stupid 9 volt batteries.
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
Quote by slash_rocks2005

so yea...

.....oh man you do know that alcohol is worst for your overall body than pot right?....

on another note...get a Cool Cat Tremolo
"Prefiero morir parado que vivir siempre arrodillado" - Ernesto "El Che" Guevara de la Serna (1928 - 1967)
Quote by guitarcam123
get some push pull pots and do some awesome wiring on them like coil split or coil tap

i second this coil tap idea.
this was going to be my suggestion as well.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30
General of the 7 String/ERG Legion

Quote by Bentheemo
Thats probably some of the best advice I've ever received on here.
Push-pull pots!
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by Otsugua713
.....oh man you do know that alcohol is worst for your overall body than pot right?....

Cirrosis or upper respiratory problems, your choice.

THC is also fat soluble, so it stays in you longer
dang tempting things....

for some reason i feel like a few on here didn't read the OP and following posts from me, cuz i stated i already have a nice $40 Levi strap, straplocks, acoustic, slide and something else i can't remember lol...

but a pedalboard idea is good, as well as the Danelectro EQ...but i kinda want to get an MXR so that way there's no upgrading after that, just go ahead and get the real deal so i'm not left wanting better.

and as far as upgrading my guitar, there's not much left to do other than a new nut, or going all out for some sperzel locking tuners. everything else has been modded just about.

and i was actually wanting to do the coil split thing to my SG a month ago, but so many people were telling me that it's not that close to a SC sound, which would be the main reason i want to do it.

all the new advice is appreciated!!!
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
My Washburn has coil splitting buckers, and TBH, it sounds closer to a single coil than people say.
Providing that your humbuckers are bright enough. If they are muddy in the first place, they aren't gonna sound much like singles when you split them.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by slash_rocks2005

i was actually wanting to do the coil split thing to my SG a month ago, but so many people were telling me that it's not that close to a SC sound, which would be the main reason i want to do it.

While it may not be "true" sc sound it is pretty close and it's another tone added to what you have. I think you would get the most bang for your bucks by adding a completely new tone to the SG. Neck coil split ftmfw!
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
^well then it looks like i might be picking up a daisy chain adapter + push pull pot(s).
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
i've got money saved in the bank for my bills and even some recreational spending, this is pretty much part of the recreational spending at the moment. besides, if i don't get these small things now, it'll be like another year before i finally go, "alright, i need to do this now or else i'll never do it"
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
hey man i got a bone nut on my sg, and it improved tuning, and tone. I highly recommend them.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Coming soon: Egnater Tweaker

why do you neeeeeed all these accessories?!
Like I've barely ever bought any of these...my gig bag has a replacement lead...and I change strings two days before a gig...I toured the country playing a gig a night for a month and did not honestly ever need half those things?!
it just seems complete overkill to assume you need string cutters and peg winders :S
And pot ruins your life....I don't know man I do alright I'm getting top grades in my English and American literature degree!
But I guess being american, and needing to be 21 to drink as opposed to 18 over here means there isn't such a chemical craze in the youth culture...which to be honest is statistically probably better...............
Oh and by the way man I use a G400 to in most of the bands I play/played in just the best damn rock guitar ever...it looks so much more evil than a dean and can also blend in with subtlety to a blues or jazz setting love them
^oh, obviously i don't NEED any of the things, but they sure as hell make taking care of my guitar MUCH easier, and faster too. i only have one electric, so i'm making it last forever even when i get another. but i DO see tuning stability as a necessity too. it's all just part of making the most of the guitar i've got, which i love to death.

and as for the pot thing, I MYSELF won't do it b/c of what it lead to with my father, not b/c i think it's anymore dangerous than alcohol. that's comparing apples and oranges. i like the drink b/c it tastes good.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Sorry for the bad recommendations earlier.
I'd have to also recommend the capo. I use mine on my acoustic all the time really. Another suggestion would be an electric pickup for your acoustic. Also a mic might be a good thing to get. A kinda pointless accessory, but those little things you put over the ends of cables like skulls or stars or something that decorate the end of your cables. Could always get stickers for your guitar and/or amp. Another thing might be new knobs for your guitar. They have all sorts of weird things you can put on there like skulls or something. Seemed like a nice way to personalize your guitar.
Too true. Last year I was going to get these nice chrome vplume knobs that have a colored glass round top with different colors. I was gonna use red for the bridge and blue for the neck volume knobs. I still think it'd look sweet
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
^^Stickers? Are you serious?
I wouldn't ever ruin a guitar (or an amp for that matter) with stickers.

But the knob idea is good.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Oh sorry, I meant those stickers that don't have adhesive on it. They are like what you have for screen protectors and stuff you stick on glass or plastic and you can peel off without any residue.
I'd say go for the knobs personally. I don't see many people with them honestly. I thought they would be more popular.
But for an amp I think normal stickers would be fine (to me at least.) Since you can always clean it off with cleaners.

Woa! Get knobs for you amp! How cool would that be? Wonder why nobody personalizes their amps at all...
Alright, but I still think the idea of stickers on a guitar is tacky and lame
Knobs for your amp would be a cool idea. My CBB has those sweet purple abalone knobs, and they probably sell those somewhere. Not sure how that'd look on a BH, but there's just plain chrome knurled knobs that would look sweet.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
update!!

i bought a one spot, one spot 5 plug adapter to go in it, and a push/pull pot to install in my guitar. i ended up paying like $7, but no biggy.

i have yet to plug the adapter in yet to make sure it's good, but i have the receipt so i'll find out soon enough. but i spent an hour or so with the soldering gun and rewiring a little bit. i took out the killswitch as it wasn't used enough, and the hole for that was already widened some for the switch, so the bigger push/pull pot slipped right in with no problem anyway.

impression: on clean, i can definitely hear the difference in sound. i have it on the bridge pup right now though, will get one for the neck soon. it's got that spank and twang like a SC strat, but not completely there. though i must say, on OD, it's not as big a difference...and i can't figure out why. i think i may need to experiment more. i've only played it through the randall right now though, so maybe it'll sound more different through the blackheart. i did run it with the fulltone fulldrive OD and the sound was a little more different and noticeable. but on high gain, i can't say that i heard much of a difference. like i said, i need to experiment more.

but as for making the cleans better, it sure as heck did that!! neck pup, you're next!
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Page 1 of 2