So I'm in a band which plays classic rock/metal type stuff (think Sabbath, Priest, ect.) and we're going to be recording this holidays..

The problem is, i don't actually own a f***ing bass (I'm actually a guitarist) up until now I've been borrowing off people/school and stuff, but that's going to be an issue during the holidays, and i have hardly any money. I was thinking just a Squier or something worth a few hundred AUS dollars.

Anyone make any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.
Squier is a fine choice for cheap beginner basses.
http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Vintage-Modified-70s-Jazz-Bass?sku=519639
That's a recommended bass around here. Not sure how much it is in AUSD.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
get a cheap yamaha they're alright, also how much is a few hundred?
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
a squier or a sx bass its a imitation of fenders but i bought one two years ago and its pretty good wouldn't trade it up
Yeah Squier basses are suprisingly good, my old guitar teacher was a really accomplished jazz player and after hearing mine he felt pretty mugged that he spent 1000+ on his fender american one.
x
Quote by chaffey
Umm, probably $450 max.

Well then, you could get an MIM Fender Jazz for that.
Actually it's 480USD for an MIM.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
Last edited by TooFast at Dec 4, 2008,
http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Vintage-Modified-70s-Jazz-Bass?sku=519639

I think a Squier vintage modified jazz bass is really good for the price.

I'm also a guitarist and this bass is fine for recording with. The description says its specializes in funk but it is versatile and good enough too play rock, metal, and most other genres.

If you look in the specialized bass magazines, almost everyone uses the fender Jazz bass models, of course they are using the higher end version.

Hope this helps.
You can get an Ibanez GSR200 for like $250, and they are great beginner basses. It looks like the one I'm playing in my pic.

EDIT: Which you can hardly see.
Quote by Zero-Hartman

If I can't masturbate to childrens cartoons then this country isn't great.
I was thinking one of them Squier Vintage Modified P basses, because i don't know how much money I'll have after Christmas, but they're $550 so it's really pushing it but i could beg my parents haha.
^^

If you're gonna spend that kind of money dont get a Squier. Get a fender jazz or P.
Quote by Zero-Hartman

If I can't masturbate to childrens cartoons then this country isn't great.
lol in Australia they cost 350 more...if you know where to buy and if you dont they cost double
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
On Billy Hyde it says the Fender Jazz, P basses are like $850 or something. And on the amp thing, we have the place booked with another band who I'm also kind of mates with, and i think I'll be able to use their bass amp. if not we could D.I. or something.
im selling my MIM p-bass on ebay for $700 if you can get the money in lil bit less than 4 days
Originally Posted by smb

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
Nah, sorry man i gotta wait like a month before I'll have the money.
If you can stretch your budget get a Fender Jazz or Precision. Otherwise, I second the Ibanez GSR200.
I own that Squire Jazz 70's mod.....

I'll tell ya, it plays good, sounds good and my god, the response you get from people is amazing, everyone asks how much or just says its nice

Get it, you won't regret it.
Quote by IndianRockStar
The bass SHOULD cover the bottom end at the very least.

70's MOD Jazz->
BOSS LMB-3->
Hartke HA3500->
GENZ-BENZ NEOx 2x12->
Ibanez SR300
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz
Yamaha BB414
Peavey Zodiac DE

All great basses.
You can't comment on gear until you have tried it!