i'm eighteen and i've peen playing guitar for eight years. i'm really considering starting to learn to play drums, but everyone i talk to tells me i'm to old and that it's best to start young. whaddaya think?
theyre idiots

as if you cant start playing drums when YOU feel like it
youll prolly pick it up quicker anyways cause your older
You can pick up any instument any time, regardless of age, especially with previous music experience. The younger you are the quicker you can absorb it, but the older you are the more you can discipline yourself and dedicate yourself to it. In the end, I think it can balance out.
You are never to old to learn an instrument. Children may learn faster than adults, but adults have the self discipline to sit down and learn the boring stuff on the instrument. I say do whatever you want to do! Drums is (are?) an excellent instrument to learn, very loud though so make sure your parents are okay with the loud-ness.

I play and enjoy every minute of it. Only thing I'd say is bad about it is trying to hear the metronome over it.
You're never too old to learn how to play an instrument. It is however easier to pick up when you're younger, however since you're already a musician that gives u an advantage over someone who doesn't play at all.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
You can be whatever age to learn an instrument.
And with drums, I'd think that you would improve quicker the older you are, as you are more coordinated.
My Last.fm
USA Fender Stratocaster | Roland Cube 60 | VOX ToneLab LE
Quote by chris.23
18 is "too old" ?
i guess, considering how i started guitar when i was ten and have been playing for eight years. after eight years of playing, starting something new seems like i'd be starting pretty late.
I really didn't need to see this thread the day before I turn 19. Stop making me feel old, UG!
It's bollocks. You're never too old to start learning an instrument. My drummer only started playing drums about 4 years ago when he was 14. I'm sure the people you've asked would say that's too old as well, but I am yet to see a drummer who can better his skills (with the exception of professional recording artists, of course). So go learn drums!
Quote by GodofGuitar1991
you are a real guitarist when you are not ashamed about masturbating to musicians friend magazine.
Quote by Aidy Damage
I really didn't need to see this thread the day before I turn 19. Stop making me feel old, UG!

i turned 21 a week ago

at least now, i can get into all the cool bars where the people are more mature
Quote by JMack
Are you asking if midgets can draw people that are themselves smaller than the average person, or if midget drawings in general are smaller?
Quote by chris.23
18 is "too old" ?

This. I know some people who started learning instruments at 40 or older, and got pretty good at it too. It's not about being "good" either, is it? It's about having fun playing the instrument(s) you like... So if you want to have fun playing drums, just do it! I wish I could...
Tell them to shut up... And get back to their My Little Pony fan club.
Dear diary.

Today I stuffed some dolls full of dead rats I put in the blender.

I'm wondering if, maybe, there really is something wrong with me.
Quote by Jackolas
Your wish is my command squier!

Are you going to write a letter to Santa for me, asking him to deliver me a brand-new drumkit, and magically grant me awesome drumming skillz?
Yeah that's a pretty stupid thing to say, all you need is committment.
Quote by Ed Hunter
I took out a fly with my jet of piss once. I felt like God!

“This is ridiculous; my job is to sit here and do this bloo-loo-loo-loo, bloo-loo-loo-loo” - Paul Gilbert on sweep picking.
Quote by Cyberbob
You can pick up any instument any time, regardless of age, especially with previous music experience. The younger you are the quicker you can absorb it, but the older you are the more you can discipline yourself and dedicate yourself to it. In the end, I think it can balance out.

Right-O.
Catch me,
heal me,
Lift me back up to the Sun
I choose to live
Quote by ZeGuitarist
Are you going to write a letter to Santa for me, asking him to deliver me a brand-new drumkit, and magically grant me awesome drumming skillz?

Dear Neil Peart (Santa),

You aren't i'm 15 and I started playing guitar at 14. I compared myself to some people who were starting at 12 and i'm **** loads better. Maybe because I have massive dedication. I don't know.. Or i'm just pretty natural I guess.