I just got a Marshall JVM 410 head, and so did the other guitarist in my band. We also both got 1960 BV cabs. When we want to jam, we don't need the full 100 watts of power. Dragging the cabinets back and forth and to the drummer's house is definately not easy, so I wanted to know if there's a way to plug 2 heads into one cab..I guess if there is a way it'd be 2 speakers per head? So if anyone knows how this works, that's be great.
you... could get an adaptor to allow two inputs... I don't know how good it would be for your amp but you can do it.
... wrote
the funny thing about those ads is, if i could steal a car at the comfort of my own computer in my own house, i would.

Quote by MyDesertRose
Ahahaha TS just got gobsmacked.
Well played Wicked Rose
That's a lot of power going through four speakers...I wouldn't advise it.
E-married to ilikepirates

Quote by bloodtrocuted93

How are you so fucking awesome at music?

>¦<
¦
Last edited by Spoony_Bard at Dec 4, 2008,
Maybe if you had a stereo cab you could trick it into thinking there was 2 heads if you got some sort of funky adapter.

Also, I am so jealous right now... I want a JVM410H -_-
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
get an A/B switch. but if you both have the same head can you not just take one halfstack and both play on that? even if there is only one jack get a split cable thing. But i would advise to go against the two heads into the big cabs. can't you just buy smaller combos or a small 12 inch speaker cab or something for practice?
No but you can 2 girls 1 cup.
Every Time You Fail, You Are Getting Closer To Success.
I wouldn't, It can damage the speakers and I can't say for sure but I think it could do harm to the heads. Next time I see my amp repair guy I'll run it by him.

John
Quote by Fudgepuppy
No but you can 2 girls 1 cup.

OH HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. That was SOOOOOOOOO funny. Seriously, I NEVER would have seen that coming! Where DO you come up with stuff like that?!

...jackass.

ANYWAYS... two heads running through one cab at the same time doesn't sound like a good idea to me. A/B switching them, no problem. I wouldn't advise the two heads/one cab idea.
Quote by Jesstaa
Maybe if you had a stereo cab you could trick it into thinking there was 2 heads if you got some sort of funky adapter.

Also, I am so jealous right now... I want a JVM410H -_-

Before I read what everyone had to say about this post, I wanted to say..the JVM blows every head I've tried out of the water. With several kinds of Guitars-Fender, Gibson, ESP/LTD, Schecter. I've tried multiples Mesa Boogies, Bogners, the EVH 5150/Peavey 6550, B52s, Fenders, and other Marshalls. It really has the most crushing, brutal, and still clear distortion. It's got amazing tones even as the gain goes down, as well as the most 3-dimensional and shimmering clean. In my opinion, it truly is the perfect amp.

If you've got a guitar center around you, I can send you price lists related to the discount I talked them down to. I don't want to post the prices on here, but I can say thayou could possibly get the JVM215C 50W 1x12 Tube Combo Amp for just over $1100 (US Dollars) AFTER tax.
So maybe I'm stupid..what's A/B switching them?

Also, as far as the split cable thing..I have one, and we've tried that..whatever guitar is putting out the most powerful signal gets dominance..When we tried, my guitar has a higher output pickup, so I could hear my guitar but my friend's guitar's signal wasn't come through. Then when I rolled down my volume and my friend picked hard, MY guitar's signal wasn't coming through.

AND unless I find one for like 40 dollars..which I have no idea how much small cabs are but I bet more than that..then I just don't want to buy another cab. We've already dropped thousands on the amps I don't think neither of us has any to spare for more stuff..
Quote by Pacarazzi
So maybe I'm stupid..what's A/B switching them?

Also, as far as the split cable thing..I have one, and we've tried that..whatever guitar is putting out the most powerful signal gets dominance..When we tried, my guitar has a higher output pickup, so I could hear my guitar but my friend's guitar's signal wasn't come through. Then when I rolled down my volume and my friend picked hard, MY guitar's signal wasn't coming through.

AND unless I find one for like 40 dollars..which I have no idea how much small cabs are but I bet more than that..then I just don't want to buy another cab. We've already dropped thousands on the amps I don't think neither of us has any to spare for more stuff..

A/B switching is when you have two heads, running into an A/B switch, such as the Morley one. One head is only running though the cap at once, but you can tap that switch and switch between the two. There's a Morley A/BY switch, where you can run both at the same time, but again, I do NOT advise running two heads through one cab.

Also, use the edit buttonz.
i think its possible. i read that metallica did that with kill em'all, but i think that was fake
leaving the gear where we practice isn't really what we want to do, right now we just use crappy amps..for example, if the other guitarist comes to my house, he brings his guitar n uses my crappy old amp, and vice versa. With the drummer, we both need to take our cabs.

The reason we want to find a way to not drag around the equiptment is mainly for when it's just the guitarists. When we make recording with no singer we want to have great tone. We don't want to bring the huge amps for that, or to NOT bring the amps but every time one of us is stuck with crappy tone..

So if anyone's saying it's possibly, but it shouldn't be done because we'll blow the speakers..we're not planning on plugging 2 heads into a cab with the drummer. It's just for when we're practicing the guitars only.
get a 2x12 cab? alot more convenient that dragging a 4x12 around.
Quote by Mo Jiggity
What he said. You are a wise man for not buying into the hype.

ya hear that...he thinks im wise
I wouldn't worry about the speakers, but maybe your amp. I don't know how an amp would react when it's getting power pumped back at it. I would say that the best way is to use a small mixer, or even a pedal with two inputs (basically the same thing) putting both the guitars into it and having one output from the mixer go into the amp, then one output from that one amp into the cabinet. Second best ghetto way may be to get a splitter so that both guitars go into one input on the amp.

Just find a cheap-ass mixer on eBay or something, that would be best.
does ur buddy have a PA? get some pods

i have my stack at home and i leave my pod at my guitarists house and he has a huge PA with some cabs from the 80s and it is just as loud and awesome as my stack xD
SUBSCRIBE!

Gibson SG faded, black hardware/ EMG81-89
peavey 6505+
GMajor Effects Processor
BBE 362 sonic maximizer
THD Hotplate
Avatar 2x12 w/ Hellatone 60/ K100
Behringer FB1010
Neither one of us have PAs, and what the hells a Pod?

ALSO..suggestions on an affordable mixer with good quality?

AND..any suggestions on a super tiny cab that's cheap?
its a line 6 multieffect processor, its beyond sick

if you wanted to go cheap and crappy im SURE you could find a freekin line 6 spider on ebay for sub100....but thats dipping pretty low and you would lose manpoints for that one.
SUBSCRIBE!

Gibson SG faded, black hardware/ EMG81-89
peavey 6505+
GMajor Effects Processor
BBE 362 sonic maximizer
THD Hotplate
Avatar 2x12 w/ Hellatone 60/ K100
Behringer FB1010
Quote by Pacarazzi
Neither one of us have PAs, and what the hells a Pod?

ALSO..suggestions on an affordable mixer with good quality?

AND..any suggestions on a super tiny cab that's cheap?

vadercabinets.com
Quote by Mo Jiggity
What he said. You are a wise man for not buying into the hype.

ya hear that...he thinks im wise
Quote by ilovemySG
its a line 6 multieffect processor, its beyond sick

if you wanted to go cheap and crappy im SURE you could find a freekin line 6 spider on ebay for sub100....but thats dipping pretty low and you would lose manpoints for that one.

I'm gonna be honest..with my amazing American Deluxe customized superstrat and amazing Marshall halfstack..I've got more manpoints than the bailout implemented to stabilize the United States' economy...
using an adapter to hook the two of them up... not a good idea. Now, teh 1960BV cab should be stereo, and loaded with Vintage 30's. It should be able to handle 60watts per side stereo, so you can run each of your heads into the cab at 50watts. I don't know if the JVMs are 50 or 100 or if they're power selectable like the JCM's are.

But, if you can run your amps at 50watts, and your cabs are stereo and your heads run at 8 ohms with an acceptable wattage for the cab's stereo option (which is on the JCM series [900's and 2000's at least] you can choose between 16 ohms mono and 8 ohms stereo) then both of you can plug in, simple as that.

Using a y-splitter isn't advisable, as it changes the load drastically and could fry your transformers in your amps, same with A/B boxes. There's also the issue of impedance, most A/B boxes and Y-cables aren't rated at the correct impedance for speaker cables, so, you run the risk of frying your transformers there, again.

Just my 3 cents.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.