i wanted to put electrical tape on my explorer to form letters and i was wondering if it leaves sticky residue on the guitar and how i could get the residue off without damaging the guitars finish.

help?
Quote by Tiksi
people who think that the tuning peg things have to be straight. I went to the bathroom once, I come back, and my friend detunified my guitar, and then asked why it sounded weird. ARGG!!!

mcROFL
Yes it will leave some but it comes off with a soft cloth and warm water
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
I've never had success with using water to get that residue off. I use rubbing alcohol and a cloth or a cotton ball. The finish should be fine as long as it's some sort of protected/lacquered finish. Don't use any more than you have to, and don't leave it on the finish any longer than you have to.
Quote by evening_crow
Yes it will leave some but it comes off with a soft cloth and warm water

naw, water can leave some scratches. lemon oil will do the trick. just get any guitar cleaner
Gear
Ibanez RG2EX2
Epiphone Les Paul
Fender Strat
Homemade EVH
Marshall JCM 800 Combo

Quote by freshtunes
its not so much that i feel guilty about masturbating, its the things that i masturbate to that make me feel guilty.
why would you put electrical tape on your guitar in the first place?
And yes it will leave residue
Quote by guitarcam123
why would you put electrical tape on your guitar in the first place?
And yes it will leave residue

Why not? There was a UGer who had a little plastic car taped to his guitar. I put stickers, electrical tape, and wrote with sharpies on my SG copy and it's fine. The markers come off after a while and the tape's residues can be scrubbed off without hurting the finish.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Quote by evening_crow
Why not? There was a UGer who had a little plastic car taped to his guitar. I put stickers, electrical tape, and wrote with sharpies on my SG copy and it's fine. The markers come off after a while and the tape's residues can be scrubbed off without hurting the finish.

It gives additional aesthetic value so why not? Although, i always wonder if putting some electrical tape and etc would affect its tone or something. Would it?
i just ended up putting the electrical tape on the pickguard so yeah its all good.
Quote by Tiksi
people who think that the tuning peg things have to be straight. I went to the bathroom once, I come back, and my friend detunified my guitar, and then asked why it sounded weird. ARGG!!!

mcROFL
Hahaha so you think it's a dumb idea but you STILL want the pictures. Oh, gear fetishizers...
My gear:
Flannel shirt
band
itl be fine just use a little paint thinner to get the residue later
"every prince has to slay a few dragons before he meets his princess"
I use goo gone. Doesn't strip paint off of lacquer very well, but it gets gooey stuff off like magic
I Japanese Fenders
MIJ '86 Strat, MIJ '95 Foto Flame Tele, Jackson JSX-94
Schecter C-1 Classic 3TSB, Takamine EG544SC-4C
Warwick Corvette Fretless MIJ '89 P-Bass Lyte
Fender Geddy Lee Sig Bass, Ibanez DTT700 Destroyer