Ok, first off, how would I get a "scratchy" crunch palmmute sound? If you know what i'm talking about, i want a scratchy palm mute not a real "thick" one.

On my Carvin last night, one of my channels is a light distortion and yet it still has a thick palm mute sound, i should think my EMG 81 can make this sound but these are my settings:

presence-7
treble-7
mid-5.5
bass-4
drive- 2-5 (varies depending on what im covering)

and on a side note, i heard that Tubescreamers are good for tighetning tone. well, my friend brought his ibanez turbo ts-9 last night for me to try out and it didnt seem to tighten at all

i had it turned on ts-9 setting, level maxed, tone maxed, drive turned all the way down

didnt seem to tighten

ESP EC-1000 *Vintage Black*
Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
Try using the edge of the pick more.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

move your palm more toward the neck of the guitar (away from the bridge) from where you have it, that will mute the strings more giving you a scratchy mute.
ok, thanks!

Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
Maybe it was a bit thin because you had no drive from the pedal?

I have a Metal Zone and when i turn the Gain right off it gets really thin and sorta scratchy.
I know there's probably a massive difference in quality and circuitry etc, but it's just a thought...

And yes, Tubescreamers are meant to boost the sound to drive your tubes harder for more break-up, more so than tightening the sound.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone SG Special Customshop
Jackson JS30RR

Dunlop Crybaby Original
Boss Metal Zone
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Ibanez Lo Fi
Behringer Tuner

Marshall AVT100X

Quote by IUseAPurplePick
Quote by Joshrocker48
I Use a purple pick.

+1
^

i wasnt using a pedal for my palmmutes. just the amp's disortion. i just fiddled with the Tubescreamer for about 5 mins to just see if it was worth buying one for myself.

my palmutes are too thick from my amp, not a pedal. a pedal may actually help

Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
Just some tips for a fellow brother in the madness that is TDWP.

More toward the neck, tighter scratchier PM. More toward the bridge, thick meaty and uber heavy.

Also if your gonna boost your 5150 with a Tubescreamer set the Gain to 0 and the Level to 10. It really drives the tubes and tightens up the gain structure a bit.

Might I recommend a Bad Monkey OD, because it has a bit more level on tap than a tubescreamer.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
Quote by JilaX^
Those settings are god awfull for the TSs tbh.

Try like 80% on the Level

Around 30-40% Tone

And Gain as you see fit.

I'm just going by what I set my BM too and what IbanezPsycho sets his keeley mod TS too. A regular TS could be quite different though.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
When it comes to metal and any type of tubescreamer it boosts and tightens. Settings are level 10 Gain 0, its a known fact and its used by hundreds. I have had multiple forms of tubescreamers and other OD's and yes some are better at it then others... But the end result is the same...
Quote by IbanezPsycho
When it comes to metal and any type of tubescreamer it boosts and tightens. Settings are level 10 Gain 0, its a known fact and its used by hundreds. I have had multiple forms of tubescreamers and other OD's and yes some are better at it then others... But the end result is the same...

That's what I thought. Every time I see a band with a TS show their settings it's Level 10 Gain 0. And since I know the TS plays Metalcore I assumed those settings would be good for him.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
Dont max out the settings for the ts9!
Your crunch has to come from your amp so just turn up the settings like +2 on your amp.

For a scratchy pm try raking the pick across the strings a little more slowly.
Why should I come down?
From here, I can see forever.
Quote by RocknRollRay
Dont max out the settings for the ts9!
Your crunch has to come from your amp so just turn up the settings like +2 on your amp.

For a scratchy pm try raking the pick across the strings a little more slowly.

That's exactly why you put the Level to 10 and the gain to 0. It boosts the crunch of YOUR amp's distortion but it doesn't add any unwanted gain and make it fizzy.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
I'm not going to argue with the common gain and level settings for the TS, but I generally find a happy medium by keeping the tone turned way down (maybe 3-ish) and dialing up the gain just a hair (maybe 1-ish).
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Quote by Necrophagist777
I'm just going by what I set my BM too and what IbanezPsycho sets his keeley mod TS too. A regular TS could be quite different though.

I was talking about his settings

80-100% Level is good for metal. Ofc, but I was mainly refering to where he put his tone. The regular TS9s are pretty bright, so running your tone that high isn't going to sound good, at all.