No matter what, I still absolutely love my midnight wine Squier Affinity Telecaster.
More so than my PRS, and definitely on par with my SG. However as much as I love its wild sound in a live or bedroom setting I've realised through making home recordings just how "juvenile" its tone is. Basically, new to the whole pick up changing world, I would like any recommendations I am looking for the piano like chimey clean tones that Jeff Buckley has, but then the diversity to play some really nice crunchy blues.
I would like to spend under £100 (which I think is like $4,000,000,000 USD :P) or $200...
Any recommendations would be sweet, oh and apologies if this has been posted like 20,000,000 times by others....end of term Uni essays means the patience to read through pages of board threads is pretty minimal!!
I have Fender Custom Shop Texas Specials. I love 'em. I would recommend them, but only if you check out various boutique pickups first. Also, they are pretty hummy.

EDIT: don't forget that the amp and wood is 75% of your tone.
Last edited by GettintheLedout at Dec 4, 2008,
Quote by GettintheLedout
I have Fender Custom Shop Texas Specials. I love 'em. I would recommend them, but only if you check out various boutique pickups first. Also, they are pretty hummy.

EDIT: don't forget that the amp and wood is 75% of your tone.

Yeah, what are you playing through?
I Japanese Fenders
MIJ '86 Strat, MIJ '95 Foto Flame Tele, Jackson JSX-94
Schecter C-1 Classic 3TSB, Takamine EG544SC-4C
Warwick Corvette Fretless MIJ '89 P-Bass Lyte
Fender Geddy Lee Sig Bass, Ibanez DTT700 Destroyer
I am playing through a pretty 120 watt (i believe) line 6 spider II
A throwback to the days of being in hardcore bands and needing any tone as long as it had gain to 10.
Though now I have mellowed slightly, and as much some tone-purists snarl at such an amp; I find it pretty versatile the blues settings are pretty approachable and with some fine tweaking you can get some alright tones.
Basically, I love my tele; I love teles full stop.
I would really like to avoid having to buy a new one (I'm saving for a semi hollow now) so I guess this is a quick fix...
I mean do you think its the case of not being able to turn chicken s|-|it into chicken salad?
Or do you think I would definitely get some tonal benefits from upgrading my pick ups?
The clean tone in particular I find a little weak...
If your looking for blues tones, have a look at the Epiphone VJ, its a small combo all though it gets pretty loud.... Or buy the head and then use the speakers out of your spider, or get some new awesome sounding speakers and make a cab, or just buy the VJ cab. Its nice and cheap too, the head is about $200, the Head and cab is about $400 - $500, and the combo is about the same as the head, maybe a bit more.
At least check out the reviews about it, its a nice little tube amp
thanks I'll look into that, I have begrudgingly considered that perhaps its the amp that's too blame and that it may be best get another amp to polarise my tones and genre interests.
i suggest getting a new amp first and then buy some nice fender or custom wound pickups (CorduroyEW/ Rock Monkey guitars)
As perhaps ignorant a question as this may sound, how does I connect the head to my spider combo amp it sounds a good idea;
you have to disconnect the electronics bit, and just have it so the speaker are going to the output jack, then when you plug the head in, it only goes through the speakers, and the electronics are just there for decorations
Yeah, guitarcam123 has it right, a good tube amp would be great for your tone.
I Japanese Fenders
MIJ '86 Strat, MIJ '95 Foto Flame Tele, Jackson JSX-94
Schecter C-1 Classic 3TSB, Takamine EG544SC-4C
Warwick Corvette Fretless MIJ '89 P-Bass Lyte
Fender Geddy Lee Sig Bass, Ibanez DTT700 Destroyer