Right,

I ordered a studio toneport UX2 yesturday for my christmas present which im looking pretty forward to and I want some decent studio monitors to go with it all when I get some cash after christmas (Im skint right now). I'd like to spend up to the £70 mark as im not looking for anything brilliant but if I don't have to go up that high, I would prefer this. So I need some recommendations on that if possible?

Also, Im in the process of learning how to read music and wanted to also get a cheap keyboard for christmas (like £40 or less). But now, because I have the toneport coming, Im not sure whether to get a keyboard to help read music or a midi controller such as an m-audio.

What would be better to go for? Can I still learn to read music with a midi controller or is it completely different to a proper keyboard. I don't know my stuff in this area so help would be much appreciated.

So, I need some ideas for decent studio monitors but under £70 and I also need to know whether to go for a midi controller or a keyboard. And what make to go with?

Just so you know, My laptop runs with vista =\

Thanks very much!
Ok, first of all, it's normal if you don't get QUICK responses here, so no reason to go to the Pit with this thread!

Now for your question:
First question: I don't know anything about studio monitors.
Second question: How are you going to control the MIDI keyboard? You're going to need software for the controller to "control", of course... And the Toneport won't have it. I think you should go for a regular keyboard, but I don't know any brands/models.

Cheers
Yes I know.
I have software to use.

If needs be I could just get a free copy of audacity if thats what its called.

Quote by Necrophagist777
I hear these monitors are pretty good. I can't wait to get my Pod Studio!

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/M1Active520/

Thanks for that. Ill look into them
Quote by moominman2
Yes I know.
I have software to use.

If needs be I could just get a free copy of audacity if thats what its called.

Thanks for that. Ill look into them

Audacity works great for all my clips.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
Quote by Necrophagist777
Audacity works great for all my clips.

For recording your keyboard/guitar?
Or for a MIDI controller keyboard to "control"? I don't think Audacity can do that...
Quote by ZeGuitarist
For recording your keyboard/guitar?
Or for a MIDI controller keyboard to "control"? I don't think Audacity can do that...

LOL i wasn't talking about Midi, I have no idea about that stuff. I just record mic'ed guitar with it.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
Quote by moominman2
Yes I know.
I have software to use.

So, what software do you have?
I think you may be wrong about what software you NEED, seeing as you thought Audacity could do that...
Quote by ZeGuitarist
So, what software do you have?
I think you may be wrong about what software you NEED, seeing as you thought Audacity could do that...

haha. I didn't say I knew alot about this. I actually said that Im not too sure about all this, did I not?

Ill be getting guitar rig, cubase or something such as these. I just didn't want to state it because it might not happen.
Guitar Rig can't be controlled with a MIDI controller keyboard, it's not what it's for. I'm not sure about Cubase, but I think you need to buy (expensive) plug-ins in order to be able to use it with a MIDI controller.

Obviously, you need a regular keyboard
Quote by ZeGuitarist
Guitar Rig can't be controlled with a MIDI controller keyboard, it's not what it's for. I'm not sure about Cubase, but I think you need to buy (expensive) plug-ins in order to be able to use it with a MIDI controller.

Obviously, you need a regular keyboard

Ok thanks. Ill do that. I think I was getting too excited at about what I could have used with getting the toneport and all.

So studio monitors needed?
Quote by moominman2

So studio monitors needed?

That depends on what you're planning to do with the keyboard.. Just practicing on your own to learn music, or recording? If you are just trying to learn music, why get studio monitors?
Quote by ZeGuitarist
That depends on what you're planning to do with the keyboard.. Just practicing on your own to learn music, or recording? If you are just trying to learn music, why get studio monitors?

Its not the keyboard I want to hook up.

I'd like to use the toneport so I have the choice of being able to record so I understand how to use software as its what I want to to for my a levels and hopefully at uni.

So yeah. The reason Im buying the toneport is to record licks and songs if I like, also jam to tracks and just play around with it all, so I can see how everything works.
Ok... Well here's what I do: my audio interface outputs are hooked into the AUX input of my stereo system.. If it doesn't have to be great quality, and you said it didn't have to be, that's an option. You only need a cheap cable, depending on the jacks on the Toneport and on your stereo.
You can hook up the Toneport's output to basically anything with a speaker. Only, I think stereo amplifiers (like on a regular stereo system) are the best choice, because they are full-range (all frequencies) and flat response (every frequency the same loudness), or FRFR. This means, they'll be the most faithful to your recording! That's the reason why active studio monitors even exist