so.... im writing a solo for my band for a song were doing called crushed. the song is in E so so i wanted to do the solo in Em pentatonic at the octave. at the moment everything sounds a little dead so any advice on techniques, more notes that i can play etc would help.

i'm trying to make it sound kinda "shreddy" and fast so that probably changes things
Quote by Vauxite
Lots of lulz were produced, thankyou good sir
Last edited by wigzwamz at Dec 4, 2008,
use a mixture of blues, chromatic runs, and dorian.
Quote by steven seagull
There are no boring scales, just boring guitarists.

Quote by convictionless
dude calebrocker, that first song on your list almost made me cry
11/10
you win my good sir

^ My For Mom cover

Check out my MP3s!!
If its in Emajor then use E minor pentatonic, Emajor and C#minor pentatonic. Dont just use Eminor pentatonic in the octave higher, move it around. Try E harmonic minor. Add some minor two-handed tapping for a shreddy sound eg. ---12--8--5-------
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
what are chromatic runs?
Quote by Vauxite
Quote by crohno
forget the scales, play whit your soul

yeah i stopped using my hands and brain and ears to play guitar a long time ago, i developed a buddhistic method of manifesting my soul into a physical form to interact with and play my guitar..... dude are you f#cking high!?!?!?!?!?!
just tap, it's the most simple thing you can do if you wanna be fast but not boring
Eat this, today's music-lovers!
Quote by rabidguitarist
A lot of music isn't really going anywhere. There are tons of fans in here going 'oh my god, <> is evolving so much and <> is so shit lol!' but tons of it is just recycled material and tired ideas.
chromatic runs are every note next to each other. for example if you played a C chord then you could play A---3------------- The '1 2 3' being the chromatic run and the '3' being
E-----0--1--2--3----- the indication of C'
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
Any Bends I Could Add?
Quote by Vauxite
Quote by wigzwamz
Any Bends I Could Add?

Bend whatever sounds good to you man, but don't forget your vibrato!
Your song is in E as in E major? Because then Em Pentatonic would sound really strange.

If you want to start shreddy use E minor pentatonic minor, if your chord progressions lets you. Could you perhaps tell us what chords are supporting the solo.

Also learn the scale everywhere.
Guitasr:
Cort KX-Custom
ESP LTD M-200FM
Amp:
Engl Powerball
Misc:
Focusrite Scarlet 2i4
Wow, weird thread.

i'm trying to make it sound kinda "shreddy" and fast so that probably changes things
Shreddy solos are hard. What I can suggest is that you do some major scalar runs and some arpeggios and maybe ninja a few chops from yngwie (apparently his stuff is easy to play.

forget the scales, play whit your soul
Okay, your a troll and I'm an idiot. You should be ashamed. There is no such thing as "soul." Soul is what high pop-stars from the 70's and naive christians believe in.

use a mixture of blues, chromatic runs, and dorian.
Better than the last suggestion. The kind of solos he's looking for are classically based "shreddy" solos. Replace Classical with blues and major/minor scale with dorian and you'll be closer.

If its in Emajor then use E minor pentatonic, Emajor and C#minor pentatonic.
This would be perfect for a blues/metal solo. Not so much for a "shreddy" solo.

Keep in mind that whether it's C# minor or E major is dependent on the context, not the shape you just so happen to pick. So in this situation, they're the same thing.

what are chromatic runs?
Going up or down by a series of semitones. So if you use D#, E, F, F#, G, G#, A in your solo, that would be a chromatic run. Or you could go down: A, G#, G, F#, F, E, D#, which would still be a chromatic run.

yeah i stopped using my hands and brain and ears to play guitar a long time ago, i developed a buddhistic method of manifesting my soul into a physical form to interact with and play my guitar..... dude are you f#cking high!?!?!?!?!?!
Holy s
hit dud
e. That might be the coolest thought I've had all day. Wow. Manifesting your soul? The mere thought is amazing. I wish I would transcend.

just tap, it's the most simple thing you can do if you wanna be fast but not boringTapping is not as fast as sweeping. And if you're sweeping arpeggios with added notes, you won't sound boring. Still alot of shreddy solos use alot of tapping and sweeping combined.

Any Bends I Could Add?Sure. Make sure you know what note you're bending to though. It's not use bending to a crappy note or bending a root to a b9, it sounds like shit. You can really tell when someones bending random notes instead of bending thoughtfully. It sounds so noobish and wankish.

Bend whatever sounds good to you man, but don't forget your vibrato!I think bending babies sounds good. Their screams send make me ectatic with joy. Should I bend them in my song? Or should I use the vibrato on them?

Your song is in E as in E major? Because then Em Pentatonic would sound really strange.Not in blues/jazz/metal. It's a common means of soloing in these genres (maybe not so much jazz). Think of that m3rd of the scale as a #2. #2's are hawt. I bend #2's and it makes me climax.
Quote by demonofthenight
Not in blues/jazz/metal. It's a common means of soloing in these genres (maybe not so much jazz). Think of that m3rd of the scale as a #2. #2's are hawt. I bend #2's and it makes me climax.

I'll have to try sometime.

Just listen to Demonofthenight everything he said is right. But you don't learn how to shred in a day, not in a week and not in a month. So you have a lot of practice ahead if you want it to sound shreddy, but it's worth the effort.
Guitasr:
Cort KX-Custom
ESP LTD M-200FM
Amp:
Engl Powerball
Misc:
Focusrite Scarlet 2i4