So i've been looking at some Ampeg amps, 'cause I'm after that sort of tone, and the main stumbling block is the price of the amps. Basically, is there a reason why Ampegs are so expensive?

I mean, a 100-watt Ampeg amp on GAK is £269, whereas by comparison, there's a Laney for just £289 which is 300-watts

Is there a particular reason for this or is it just how things are?
Umm... well lets see, ampeg sound amazing, are well built, and the high end ones are made in the US. Why do you think?
Alright man, no need for sarcasm, that's my point entirely, is there some reason in particular or are they just high quality amps and thus sell for more
for the name, imo ampegs dont get good until SVT territory
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
Ashdown stuff is pretty decent, and you can get great tones from them, pretty reasonably priced too, i guess its down to what you want to play though
Gear:
Musicman Sub Sterling
Yamaha RBXJM2
Ashdown MAG 300 Head + Ashdown 410T Cab
Bass Big Muff Pi
Korg Pitchblack
Morley Dual Bass Wah
Their Really good well the american made ones are. Anything less then the pro range or svt tubes are crap though. People say their overpriced but if your willing to do a bit of searching they always come up cheap oin ebay. You could pay $800 for an svt 4 pro which is 1200 watss.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by chocolateman900
Alright man, no need for sarcasm, that's my point entirely, is there some reason in particular or are they just high quality amps and thus sell for more

I wasn't being sarcastic, as i said, they're higher quality amps, higher quality means higher price. Same reason gibson guitars cost more than staggs
Just wondering has anyone hear a\b a american made ampeg to a vietnam made one.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Possible because of the brand name and the fact the wattage doesnt make an amp worth more. (meaning that just because its more watts doesnt mean the price should be higher.)
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
Actually, recently Ampeg was bought out and the new owners have moved all production over seas to, I think vietnam.

So now recently there are concerns among players that quality will go down.
We'll see though,
because I haven't owned anything made in 2008 by Ampeg.

Love the Low end
the only ampegs that i like the sound of is the classic series and some of the pro series heads. they are both made in the U.S. i believe although i have heard that they are now made in china? dont know if thats true or not but the classic SVT and a 810 sound so Fing good!! i love them. they are alot of money but i think they are the best of the best. and i should also say that even if they are now made in china or some other place my head is a old one from 92 but the cab is from so even if the cab was made in china it sounds just like the ones that are made in america or that were made in america
Quote by Zeelod
Actually, recently Ampeg was bought out and the new owners have moved all production over seas to, I think vietnam.

So now recently there are concerns among players that quality will go down.
We'll see though,
because I haven't owned anything made in 2008 by Ampeg.

You are correct sir. I was looking at one at my local music shop and was talked out of it by a storeworker, he said it'll spend more time getting repairs than it will being played.

I'm a MesaBoogie man, although they're rather expensive aswell
Quote by Stingray5
You are correct sir. I was looking at one at my local music shop and was talked out of it by a storeworker, he said it'll spend more time getting repairs than it will being played.

I'm a MesaBoogie man, although they're rather expensive aswell

haha you're right man on that story
Now that all production has been moved to vietnam
I'm definitely going to assume that quality will go down.

Personally, I think ampeg has now started going down the road that will lead it to the dumps.

All the older stuff is quite good, very good
the vintage stuff all the way up to the new stuff of 2007.
of course not every single one of their products is the best, but it's still definite quality stuff

The new stuff however, (like I said), we'll have to see where and when the quality goes down, which from what I've heard is already sufferring.
If I get any more Ampeg I'm definitely not going to get anything brand new.

Love the Low end
Quote by CaptainJack666
for the name, imo ampegs dont get good

fixed.
Peavey, Laney, Acoustic, Ashdown, Markbass, Mesa Boogie, SWR, Carvin, Hartke, Genz Benz, Trace Eliot, Gallien Krueger, Marshall, Eden, Warwick, Fender, and Aguilar make much better quality amps. in my opinion.

at all prices really. those SVT's sound odd to me once you start trying to focus the mids. and having played a Mesa Boogie recently, I think it does what an SVT is intended for way better.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I wouldn't buy the cheaper Ampeg stuff - same quality as everything else around the same price, just paying for the name. If you want quality check out, Gallien-krueger, Peavey and Warwick.
You can't comment on gear until you have tried it!