Michael Diamond - drums
Adam Horovitz - guitars
Adam Yauch - horizontal and upright basses
Mark Ni****a - Clavinet, Rhodes, Farfisa
Alfredo Ortiz - cussions
Beastie Boys - producer, engineer, art direction

The Beastie Boys have had a long and illustrious career since the early to mid 1980's. Originally a hardcore punk band from Brooklyn, NY, the influences of their surroundings pushed them into hip hop. The Beastie Boys became old school hip hop legends in a primarily African American dominated style of music. And looking at their success all these years later, this push proved to be a landmark decision. After many successful albums in the 80's and into the 90's, one thing that the Beastie Boys were never afraid to do was to experiment. In the late 80's to early 90's the Boys started to re-introduce themselves to their instruments. Hence many various instrumental tracks on albums such as Check Your Head and Ill Communication.

With some solid records in the early 1990's, the Beasties took a break and also toured and played hardcore punk songs in Japan for a year. After that good ole fashion fun, The Beasties released the smash hit record Hello Nasty. Intergalactic was a huge hit and everyone and your mother bought the record.

Fast Forwarding to about 2006 and looking back into the 1990's. The Beasties always wanted to record an instrumental record. They put it into action and released The Mix-Up in 2007.

What is the Mix-Up?

The Mix-Up was an idea of making a post punk funk record. Taking their influence in from hip hop, latin based arrangements, simple melodic punk lines, and their love for funk and possibly jazz.

Who would enjoy The Mix-Up?

People who enjoy experimental music. All the tracks are between 3 and 4 1/2 minutes long. Non are insanely avant-garde and are straight forward but somehow very inventive and original.

Latin/Funk Fans
Musicians
Parent Friendly
Beastie Boy Fans
Your Grandfather
non-Beastie Boys fans
You
Jam fans

The Beastie Boys play instruments?

Yes, yes they do. As aforementioned they used to be a hardcore punk band. Then went into hip hop. Combined both loves of instrumentation and hip hop in the early 1990's and then released this jem in 07. Mike D plays Drums, Ad-Rock plays Bass and MCA plays guitars, they also had some assistance from various musicians, Mark Ni****a most noticeably on the organ (farfisa) Theres a little bit of everything on thsi album. Upright bass, normal bass, timbales, shakers, whistling, organs, great funk guitar and so many other instruments.

The Final Word:

This album is awesome. Such a mix of so many elements and the experimentation works. Its not crazy noises or some nonsense that would only make sense to one percent of the world. The melody on this album is breathtaking. You can tell that The Boys' basically said " Eh, lets go into this room and just push it and jam". They can take three notes and make it feel like the most progressive thing in the world, all within a manageable time. Its great background music, I play it all the time during college work or just in the car. Its relaxing but not boring! Not only is this album great but iot will give you a whole new appreciation for what the Beastie Boys did throughout their career. Push the envelope and still make catchy music. I know because of this album I enjoy their music 10 fold to how I used to. This album won;t get you out of your chair and headbanging and it won't motivate you to play you in a football game but I think its a spectacular album that any fan of music should check out.

Deuces,

---GCS
Originally posted by J_Dizzle
THAAAANK YOU GoodCharloteSux is god
pretty good review. i really like this album, though i feel it has been overlooked by a lot of people.

did they ever release the version with guest lyrics? i know they talked about having different artists contribute lyrics for the songs, but I don't think it ever happened did it?
No they haven't no progress in talks just rumors of some guest vocalist but nothing "real"
I seem to remember getting this one for Christmas last year and never really getting stuck into it. Should it be dug out?

Oh, and *stuck* - thanks for doing another one
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
It matters what you expect from the album. its not an album where you blast in the car while going to see a show or to get hyped. It also takes more then one listen, the album just goes so swiftly by from 1 -12 and I just find myself humming along all the time.

So I say dig it out lol
^ The thing is you wouldn't know it was BB if you heard it. I'd try it out.......
Well, I pulled it out about 40 minutes ago and have to say that it's certainly gone up in my estimation. Wouldn't say it's a marvellous album, but you're right, there is a good mix of songs ('dramastically different' stood out with the Asian vibe) and the quality is pretty consistent. Made a change to listen to and will probably be digging it out more often from now on.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic