I am lookin to buy a low wattage tube amp. Head or Combo would be fine. something in the 5-20 watt range. looking to spend up to $500 (new). But want to buy used for obvious reasons. id would like to spend less than $300 if at all possible.

so whats out there that has a good bluesy tone, but could pull of some heavy rock? maybe have to push it with a stomp box to get metal tones but that fine.

any suggestions?
Quote by PedroLesPaulVM
Can't beat the Fender Blues Jr. IMO

There are ones on Craigs list near me for $300-325
I was lookin at the crate v-18. anyone have experience? ive read about the black hearts but know nothing about them. i definatly would prefer going used because i could get a lot more for my money. I need your suggestions guys im new to the world of tubes.
i dont know. isnt that one of those hybrid type things? isnt that like the peavey trans tube? im looking for ALL TUBE (if the valvetronix isnt all tube).
well the 30w valvetronix is already pretty similar to what i have (roland cube 30). it has tubes in the preamp i think but thats it.

like i said i know next to nothing about tubes and i think a lil 20w or under tube amp would be a good way to get me introduced to tubes.

maybe something designed more for heavy rock and metal? anything fit in that category?
yea the blues jrs a beautiful sounding amp. im getting one for xmaqs for sure!! A blues jr with a pedal out front should suit your needs.
My Gear:

Fender Aerodyne Stratocaster
NOS Tweed Fender Blues Jr
Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for:
Vox V847
nvm i cant see the blues jr as a metal amp.
My Gear:

Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for:
Vox V847
Quote by MOOSE_CCR99
nvm i cant see the blues jr as a metal amp.

Yeah but couldnt a pedal achieve a metal sound with a pedal? i like cleans to accent a heavy song, so i want it to have decent cleans, but would use it more (almost exclusively) for anything heavy.

would it be easier to just throw a pedal out front and burn through hella batteries, or just save a couple hundred more and buy something a little better suited for my needs? (money is fine i live at home with my rents and make 400 a week, so i have enough money to throw around if needed)
Quote by xXMetal-HeadXx
I was lookin at the crate v-18. anyone have experience? ive read about the black hearts but know nothing about them. i definatly would prefer going used because i could get a lot more for my money. I need your suggestions guys im new to the world of tubes.

The V-18 is an excellent amp. I rarely play heavy stuff with that amp, but i have a Boss ML-2 just in case, and it sounds excellent.

well its called the "blues jr" for a reason. You might get lucky putting a pedal out front, but i havent tryed the amp with distortion... although Ive heard this is the wrong amp for metal. Id be looking for something more versitile. good luck!
My Gear:

Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for:
Vox V847
word of warning, stay the hell away from valvetronic, you get almost no tonal upgrade and the "fragileness" of a tube amp all for an extra 200 bucks, biggest gimmick since slipknot if you ask me.
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive