Right so i've been looking for strings for a while and are planning to get some new ones. I own an ESP LTD EC-500 with gauge 10-46 strings.

I've seen some Regular Slinky Ernie Ball strings online http://www.zzounds.com/item--ERN2221 to be exact, and I was wondering what these are like?
How long do they last, what tunings do they work best in and how easy are they to play with?

Also are there any other strings you could reccomend me that are better?

I play alot of metal/thrash so metallica, megadeth, iron maiden etc.

-Thanks
Last edited by mfkr at Dec 4, 2008,
Yeah dude I pretty much always use regular slinky's, the ones on my strat have lasted over 8 months of constant playing

I really do need to change them :P
tbh tho you might want to look at some with a higher gauge if you play mostly metal
D'Addario 10-46, problem solved

Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus-Top, SH-2 and SH-5
Ibanez GRX20
Baron Acoustic
Peavey Valveking 112
Roland Cube 15
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell
Dunlop GCB-95 Crybaby
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Boss PH-3 Phase Shifter
Boss BF-3 Flanger
I'm a big fan of Ernie Ball Strings.

As for tunings I would say as long as you get the right gauge you will be fine. Ex. if you do a lot of drop tuning work you might want to go with a heavier gauge.

I hear Dunlops are goo too.
slinkys are thinner guitar strings, easier to bend, and take normal/half step. im not sure about step down and lower and they last the same as other strings.

what i did, was basicaly use a "string down" approch:

my:
e string is an E string
b string is an string
g " is a g string
d " is a d string
a " is an d string
low e " is a A string
Just call me Julius, J, etc.
Taking an Internet break for a while, will come on when I can.
Quote by Capt_Clarkson
Yeah dude I pretty much always use regular slinky's, the ones on my strat have lasted over 8 months of constant playing

I really do need to change them :P
tbh tho you might want to look at some with a higher gauge if you play mostly metal

Lol yeh i've had the factory strings on since last christmas when I got the guitar.

Yeah its just these strings have done me pretty good, so easy to bend compared my first couple crappy guitars.

Quote by Awaken
D'Addario 10-46, problem solved

And how do they differ from Ernie Balls?

Quote by nowa90
slinkys are thinner guitar strings, easier to bend, and take normal/half step. im not sure about step down and lower and they last the same as other strings.

Right glad that got explained for me, thanks.

Quote by nowa90
what i did, was basicaly use a "string down" approch:

my:
e string is an E string
b string is an string
g " is a g string
d " is a d string
a " is an d string
low e " is a A string

Not sure I understand this, though.
Last edited by mfkr at Dec 4, 2008,
Quote by mfkr
Lol yeh i've had the factory strings on since last christmas when I got the guitar.

Yeah its just these strings have done me pretty good, so easy to bend compared my first couple crappy guitars.

And how do they differ from Ernie Balls?

Right glad that got explained for me, thanks.

Not sure I understand this, though.

i hate the factory strings, mine broke the first day. and my favorite strings af DR tite wound, and the guages are 50-11. they are pretty awesome for harmonics
My personal preference is Elixer poly/nano web strings. They are more expensive but are well worth it. The "new string" tone lasts ALOT longer than Ernie Balls (which I used to use). Once I tried these Elixers, I was hooked. I havent tried them for metal, but I assume they would really bring your tone to a new level. They are punchy and warm, but have a very "lively" feel to them. Give them a go.
Regular Slinky will work fine for drop tunings. I have a set Regular Slinky on my guitar, and it's tuned drop C with no problems.
Quote by MichaelOfCanton
a kazoo will rock some ass for like 85 cents.

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Krik harmret cuz he can prey der gertur wit te wurr wurr pedar!!

http://www.myspace.com/caledonia
I've had sets of strings from both D'Addario and Ernie Ball where the 'new string' sound and feel has lasted only a day (although I do play a lot and don't wipe down after), which of course is about as long as it takes for the strings to settle properly. I switched to Elixir's and I've never gone back. Elixirs are more expensive than most, yes, but in the end, they've saved me a lot of money so far.
Jackson Kelly KE3 w/P-Rails; Aria Pro II TSB-350
• ZVex Fuzz Factory; DigiTech Whammy; Danelectro Fish & Chips; Marshall ED1; Fulltone OCD; DigiTech Whammy; Marshall JMP1; Boss CE3; Vox AC4TV

EMU 0404; Reason/Record; M-Audio AV40
Right so Elixers sound like something I should look at.

Are there any particular ones I should try, gauge 10-46 still.
I always use Nanoweb Elixirs. I use 9's, but you'll probably want to use 10's to get a heavier sound.
Jackson Kelly KE3 w/P-Rails; Aria Pro II TSB-350
• ZVex Fuzz Factory; DigiTech Whammy; Danelectro Fish & Chips; Marshall ED1; Fulltone OCD; DigiTech Whammy; Marshall JMP1; Boss CE3; Vox AC4TV

EMU 0404; Reason/Record; M-Audio AV40
Quote by jaffawoman
I always use Nanoweb Elixirs. I use 9's, but you'll probably want to use 10's to get a heavier sound.

Thanks i'll check them out.
I personally love those 0.10 Slinkys.

Easy to bend with, great for alternating picking and they work great for drop D tuning aswel
I Love the DR Hi Beams in 10's for Jackson RR's and DR Hi Voltage Strings For My Jackson Warrior Bodies in 12's. dunlop Strings in 10's For my Ibanez's.

The DR Hi Beams have an Edgy and bright tone while the DR Hi Voltage strings are brighter than the Hi Beams but are very tactile compared to the Hi Beams. I usually tune these in E Standard or Step Lower but nothing lower since they just become muddy.

Dunlops are great in low tuning since they are bright without becoming edgy plus they don't break as often compared to the Everly's i had before.
ESP Vintage 4
Fender American Special Jazz
Fender American Deluxe Precision
Ibanez SR700
Jackson DXMG
Fender American Standard Telecaster
SWR Black Beauty
Orange Thunderverb 50

Modulus Quantum 5 fund-$2150/$3369
Last edited by Blacken Seas at Dec 4, 2008,
I like the DR Handmade strings I recently got. They were about $15 and they are great. However if you get fret buzz don't get DR. Fret buzz sounds horrible with DR strings.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
I like DR title fit mediums or Dr exta life they have a coting like elixer but its colored so you can get them in red,blue black. I thing there better than Ernie Ball Strings and alot of people would agree with me there under estamated and people think just cuz there colored there crap.