what the heck is the circle of fiths, ive been getting along pretty well without it. but lately i keep hearin people mention it and i have no idea what theyre talkin about.

please enlighten me
It helps you determine key signatures. If you are studying music theory this can be a benefit.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by joshjhasarrived
Little does the government suspect that it's funds are being rapidly drained through funding infinite free cardboard boxes to bored teenagers on an internet forum.
Quote by GuitarMunky
It helps you determine key signatures. If you are studying music theory this can be a benefit.

so what should i do to learn it?
Quote by Veroth
so what should i do to learn it?

I'll let someone else advise you there. I don't particularly care to use it. I know my key sig's by memory via another method which I prefer.
shred is gaudy music
Its really quite simple to be honest.

Take C in the circle of 5ths. Now say the 5th of C, you get G.
Now say the 5th of G, you get D.
This is for the Sharp key signitures. For example- C no sharps, G one sharp, D two sharps etc.

But you can do this is reverse for flat key signitures, you just go up a 5th.
Take C again, go up a 5th you get F. F has one flat, the next B flat as 2 flats and so on.

Hope that helps.
The Snaggle Toothed Pirate
a good example of the how the circle of 5ths is used in some songs:

Hush - Deep Purple

Hey Joe - Hendrix

they are not using the "full" circle...but your ear hears this very distinctive progression...so now you have a context of the sound and how it may be applied in practice...

play well

wolf
Quote by GuitarMunky
I'll let someone else advise you there. I don't particularly care to use it. I know my key sig's by memory via another method which I prefer.
Elaborate please?
Easy ways to remember From F major to B major, Fat Charlie Goes Down And Eats Bananas.
Quote by demonofthenight
Elaborate please?

I assume he just learned the key signatures off by heart, at least that's what I did (without actually using the Co5).