Page 1 of 2
probably not.

you need like 150 i think
STEAM: beachhhhhhhh

Quote by cornmancer
Please daddy, just for one hour.
80 watts boosted and the drummer cutting it. A 100 watss would be nice and will get you through most practises
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by fatgoogle
80 watts boosted and the drummer cutting it. A 100 watss would be nice and will get you through most practises

This, but preferably a lot more, maybe around 120-150 to be comfortable.
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Quote by bullsonparade01
i have a 60 watt marshall combo and i can still hear myself fine at only half on the volume knob.

The thing your playing has 4 thick strings right?
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
For my drummer 2000, for yours 100 - 200 might work pretty well, especially if you EQ properly, consider investing in an EQ pedal if you haven't yet.

Noisy things aren't they drummers?
what?! ok .. i set mine down to 15 watts and crank it. im super loud i can hear both me and the drummer fine what are you guys talking about... we are talking tube amps here right?
Quote by emich
what?! ok .. i set mine down to 15 watts and crank it. im super loud i can hear both me and the drummer fine what are you guys talking about... we are talking tube amps here right?

Not really no.
oh ok well i duno how to compare wattage on transistors.. but 15-30 watts tube should do you fine unless you feel like playing arenas
Quote by emich
oh ok well i duno how to compare wattage on transistors.. but 15-30 watts tube should do you fine unless you feel like playing arenas

Uh...Bass Forum.

Anyways, for like a practice a 80 watts will get you over a drummer.
I don't really understand this thing with not being able to cut through a drummer + guitarist. I've cranked a 10-15 watt amp and it has been audible (err, shush about tone) (talking solid state, too)

hmm
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
300 watts is sufficient for regular gigging.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
80 might not....I've had very little experience with drummers but a 120 should be perfectly fine if you don't cut your Mids too much.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
this question gets asked all the time?
why dont people ever look at the faq?
is the answer even in the faq?

i suppose i just proved my own point there...

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
Some 80W amps will be loud enough to play with a drummer, some won't be.

It depends on brand / speaker efficiency / room acoustics / EQ'ing etc.
Maruszczyk Frog 6 custom -> TC electronic Polytune-> Markbass CMD mini 121 + Markbass traveler 121H

Playing bass in Bamboo Avenue (Like us on facebook! )
EP out now!
Quote by shinhoman
this question gets asked all the time?
why dont people ever look at the faq?
is the answer even in the faq?

i suppose i just proved my own point there...

x

What was the point of that?

I envy your gear.

EDIT: The Geddy and amps that is.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
First off quick answer 150W is the minimum I would consider.

You need to considered several factors:

1. Tone--you want to get over the drummer and still have good tone.
2. Yes, you can hear yourself at less than 100W but can the drummer hear you? Can the people listening to your band hear you?
3. How aggressive is your drummer? What is his style and equipment like?
the guys i was jamming with required 400 watts. i was using a really loud 4x10 cab too..

2 5150 (1 combo 1 stack) and a triggered drumkit.

80 watts would easily coast you if you're doing a more acoustic thing. if its getting much louder than that.. well tough call.

one guy i jammed with was using an ampeg ba-115. couldn't hear him over the drums ever.. the drummer was an average volume.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
It really depends on the wattage of the other amps and how aggressive your drummer is, but i think 100w minimum, more if your not playing with a jazz band.
man go to long and mcquade on saturday, they are having a grand opening sale, doesnt have any bass amps advertised on their postcard but you may get a deal on one, take a look at the traynor dynabass they have, its awesome
BASS GEAR:
Fender Bassman 250 2x10
Squier MB-5
Tanglewood Premier TW155 acoustic bass

GUITAR GEAR:
Ibanez ART300
Fender GDC-200SCE
Peavey studio chorus 70

PEDALS:
Ibanez SM-7
Ibanez PH-7
DOD Bass Chorus
I regularly can get past a conga player if I highlight my mids. but, with a real drum set, my underrated 50 watt amp doesn't cut through. when I'm playing at my church, I can get much louder because of the acoustics, but I have a feeling you aren't gonna be gigging at too many churches. 200 would be my floor, given it allows you to keep roughly any tone you want.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I'd say 200 if it's just you and the drummer. 300 if it's a regular band atleast, no wait, I'd feel safer with 400, and thats only if your band doesn't do harder styles of music.
Quote by Pizza The Hut
I'd say 200 if it's just you and the drummer. 300 if it's a regular band atleast, no wait, I'd feel safer with 400, and thats only if your band doesn't do harder styles of music.

I think you are way underrating the hearing of everyone around you.
15 was enough to "hear", 120 was WAY more than enough. I usually run my Kustom III at about 4 or 5 volume with a drummer
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
Quote by Windfall32
I think you are way underrating the hearing of everyone around you.

I think you need to get a long cord and stand as far away from the band as possible. you'll see what he means.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I've played a 200W combo at a gig and could not hear myself. Period.

When I bring my SWR and Nemesis to a gig (at 350W), it's about right. However, on some awful stages, I really need to CRANK it.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by Thomme
15 was enough to "hear", 120 was WAY more than enough. I usually run my Kustom III at about 4 or 5 volume with a drummer

when I was in a band with a drummer I had to put my amp practically on him so he'd hear the 15 watts that became a pile of mud.

100, its the absolute bare minimum if you have a drummer that isn't trying to break sticks. 200 watts would be safe, but of course 300 would be better.
Honestly, if you plan on gigging (or just playing with a drummer in a band) I would recommend that you get something much higher in wattage.

I'd say.... 250w at the very least.

Bass requires a lot of power to sound best, to be heard, and most importantly, to make the band and the musicans your playing with sound good.
The last thing still requires your playing to do, but the large number of power will help.
And if you play well, then your rig should take care of itself.

Remember,
This is the golden rule.
Bass is supposed to make everything and every other musician sound good.
That is you job as a Bass player.

Love the Low end
Whereabouts are you practicing? that plays a HUGE part in how load you have too be.....more than your EQ'n thats for sure.

I'd say 100 - 120.....

When your looking at combo amps or practice amps, what sort of wattage are they???? Definitely not 250watts!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thats plain crazy, i can just hear myself with my drummer and guitarist with a 50watt amp.....

My drummer is an animal, people thinks hes miced up at college performances ! when hes not.
Quote by IndianRockStar
The bass SHOULD cover the bottom end at the very least.

70's MOD Jazz->
BOSS LMB-3->
Hartke HA3500->
GENZ-BENZ NEOx 2x12->
Quote by pandathe3
When your looking at combo amps or practice amps, what sort of wattage are they???? Definitely not 250watts!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Ashdown and Markbass both produce 500 watt (RMS not Peak) combos
It seems that most of you are combining rehearsal and practice, they are two separate things.
Practice is what you do on your own; rehearsal is generaly with your band. When rehearsing every band that I've ever played in usualy rehearse at performance level, because that is what you're working up to, in practice you learn the number in rehearsal you put it together as you want it to sound on stage.
Regarding practice amps I've only ever owned one but not for long as I just couldn't see the point, the money spent on a practice amp would be better spent on better gear.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
i somehow hear myself in band using a ****ty 25w amp (not my amp btw, school amp)

band consists of:
bassist
2 guitarists
drummer
singer
Twitter: ScottWotton
Tumblr: ScottWotton
YouTube: ScottWotton

3DS FC: 5043-1553-4655
Friend Safari: Rock type with Boldore, Pupitar and Barbaracle.

Wants his username as ScottWotton. >.>
Quote by Vampire 255
i somehow hear myself in band using a ****ty 25w amp (not my amp btw, school amp)

band consists of:
bassist
2 guitarists
drummer
singer

l you have something wrong with you. Do you stand right beside it or what. My 100 watt sruggles against any guitar amp over 50 watts and a drummer.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
I like how nobody has asked what his amp is...that's kind of important.

And really it all depends on the cabinet. There's not really a big difference at all between 100W and 80W, or even 120W and 80W. You have to keep in mind that to even double the perceived sound output of a cabinet, you have to use roughly ten times the wattage.

To put this in perspective, I gigged for two years with a 40W 112 combo that happened to have a large cabinet. It did just fine. (Peavey Basic 40, if anyone cares to know)
Nope, no sig here.
Quote by Mutant Corn
I like how nobody has asked what his amp is...that's kind of important.

And really it all depends on the cabinet. There's not really a big difference at all between 100W and 80W, or even 120W and 80W. You have to keep in mind that to even double the perceived sound output of a cabinet, you have to use roughly ten times the wattage.

Quite correct although any increase in wattage will help reduce power stage break up (clipping) when the amp is driven hard.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
300 is great sure but as long as youre not playing with a really loud drummer (Who normally tend to be quite rubbish) 160ish should be enough for practising, if youre playing a gig D.I the bass and use the amp as a monitor, or even just mic it.

Also make sure you and the guitarist use self control and dont try and out-do each other, harsh as it sounds unless you're a funk band the guitar should be a little bit louder than the bass, audiences like guitar, The fools!
80w would be easily enough. Depends on speaker size though - 12'' is fine and 10'' should be OK, anything smaller I think would struggle.
You can't comment on gear until you have tried it!
Quote by fatgoogle
l you have something wrong with you. Do you stand right beside it or what. My 100 watt sruggles against any guitar amp over 50 watts and a drummer.

im at the other side of the room from my amp, and i stand next to the drummer
Twitter: ScottWotton
Tumblr: ScottWotton
YouTube: ScottWotton

3DS FC: 5043-1553-4655
Friend Safari: Rock type with Boldore, Pupitar and Barbaracle.

Wants his username as ScottWotton. >.>
there's this sort of "you need 1000watts" mindset with bassists that just isn't true. I've played a log of shows with a lot of bands, and amps ranged from 50watt 112 combos to 500watt stacks. The Ampeg BA112 (I think that's the model) a friend of mine used worked fine in two HC bands he was in, my Kustom III with a 115 cab worked fine in punk and rock bands, another friend of mine used a 60watt crate combo, it worked fine, another used a 220watt crate head with a 115/210 cabinet (yes, it was one cabinet). All of us were audible to the audiences, no problem. Some of the amps had to be turned up all the way, some cut the mix more, but, the fact of the matter is:
I say 100watts, minimum. I'd suggest more, though, just for safety.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
Quote by Thomme
there's this sort of "you need 1000watts" mindset with bassists that just isn't true. .

A lot depends on how experienced you are and how knowledgable you are regarding what your gear actualy does.
I've used a 1200 watt amp into a single 15" 300 watt Eminence speaker with no ill effect in a band playing Classic Rock. I've fried the voice coil in a 400 watt 15" speaker with a 300 watt amp because the amp was driven to often and too long into clipping.
None of you seem to consider the efficiency of you speakers, a 300 watt amp driving a speaker with an across the bandwidth output of 101 dbs is going to give the false impression of being more powerful than a 500 watt amp driving a speaker with a 97 db output across the same bandwidth. Many manfacturers make ridiculous claims regarding speaker efficiency so this is a very important place to look when considering gear.
The days of needing twice the amps output in speaker handling power are a thing of the past with todays well made speakers; foreget the junk coming in from China.
Point to remember is that a good big amp with decent speakers will always beat a little amp with the same speakers.
1x12", 2x10" will not stand up in a serious gigging band unless augmented by FOH PA.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Page 1 of 2