Is it? Because my guitar teacher says it is.
My Gear:

Peavey T-15

Peavey Vypyr 15w

Unamed "Prarie" Acoustic

GAS List
Agile AL-2000

New England Patriots for 2009 super bowl!
No it's not. But it depends on how your guitar is set up.
Quote by stinger12345
It even says "High Quality" in the title, so you KNOW it's quality
Okay i have a peavey t-15 standard for the record
My Gear:

Peavey T-15

Peavey Vypyr 15w

Unamed "Prarie" Acoustic

GAS List
Agile AL-2000

What string gauge are you using at the moment?
Quote by stinger12345
With the right strings and the right setup, nothing's wrong. Your teacher's a conservative moron.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
it wont hurt your guitar, it would be better in the long run if you used it in drop C constantly for you to have it set up for that, and even then that would only really matter on a floating trem. I have a feeling your guitar teacher hates super heavy music and so is trying to slyly put you off it.
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
I use .11-.54's (Ernie Ball Beefy Slinky) for drop C.
Quote by lizarday
actually i think its good since it puts less tension on your strings so theres less tension on your neck and i heard that everyonce in a while you gotta get your guitar necked fixed up since the tension in the strings slowly bends the guitar neck especially at the seventh and eight fret. so even if you play at standard its best to tune your guitar down when your finished to reduce stress on your guitar. plus it helps you with learning how to tune since you gotta tune it back up when your going to play it again..........just my opinion though
Quote by charlie__flynn
it wont hurt your guitar, it would be better in the long run if you used it in drop C constantly for you to have it set up for that, and even then that would only really matter on a floating trem. I have a feeling your guitar teacher hates super heavy music and so is trying to slyly put you off it.

QFT....some people, especially older player/teachers think that drop tunings are a waste of time. Its pretty funny he told you that putting your guitar in a low tuning is bad for it......next time you talk to him tell him you put it in Drop A# hahaha see what he says
Agile Septor Elite 7-String
ESP H-1007
ESP H-1001
Peavey 5150
Mesa Boogie Cab

Recording Gear -
PreSonus FireStudio Interface
CX5 Studio Monitors
Quote by Grungy_Guy
actually i think its good since it puts less tension on your strings so theres less tension on your neck and i heard that everyonce in a while you gotta get your guitar necked fixed up since the tension in the strings slowly bends the guitar neck especially at the seventh and eight fret. so even if you play at standard its best to tune your guitar down when your finished to reduce stress on your guitar. plus it helps you with learning how to tune since you gotta tune it back up when your going to play it again..........just my opinion though

Please, don't try to 'help' any more.
Quote by lizarday
Quote by Grungy_Guy

Doesn't quite work like that, because without enough tension on the neck it just gets all warped.

and TS, your guitar teacher is daft.
Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez GRG170DX
Peavey Vypyr 75
Fender Princeton 650 DSP w/ Celestion 80w speaker
I have never heard any tuning being bad for your guitar. I have heard tho, that it is not good to constantly be changing tunings (ie more than a semitone or so at a time). I think that's part of the reason pro's have so many guitars, they just leave them in the same tuning.
_ _
| | | |
| | | |
| |__| |
| | ESP for Life!
| |___
| ___|
\ |
\ \
.09-.52 strings
And my teacher is awesome
My Gear:

Peavey T-15

Peavey Vypyr 15w

Unamed "Prarie" Acoustic

GAS List
Agile AL-2000

Those strings will be OK for Drop C, but I'd go for heavier strings if it's your main tuning. If you mostly use standard though, don't bother.

And he may be awesome but saying Drop C is bad for your guitar is plain silly.
Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez GRG170DX
Peavey Vypyr 75
Quote by Hahame95
.09-.52 strings
And my teacher is awesome

You SHOULD be able to tune down to drop c with those. But I wouldn't recommend doing so, it will be way too loose imo. I personally use 12s with drop c. Maybe start with 11s. It should keep the tension about the same so you wouldn't need to mess with your truss rod.
Quote by stinger12345
Quote by BackSeatSuicide
QFT....some people, especially older player/teachers think that drop tunings are a waste of time. Its pretty funny he told you that putting your guitar in a low tuning is bad for it......next time you talk to him tell him you put it in Drop A# hahaha see what he says

or tune to drop A and play Papyrus Containing the Spell to Preserve Its Possessor Against Attacks from He Who is in the Water by Nile.
Gear:
2000 Paul Reed Smith CE-24
ESP EC-1000 w/ Seymour Duncans
Ceriatone 18 Watt TMB Plexi 1x12
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
Quote by maiden_mexico
or tune to drop A and play Papyrus Containing the Spell to Preserve Its Possessor Against Attacks from He Who is in the Water by Nile.

If he can do that he has no need for a teacher
Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez GRG170DX
Peavey Vypyr 75
It isn't bad if you set it up.....If you keep it in Standard with 12's and go straight to B Standard it would be bad....If you want to play in Drop C every now and then I would go up to 10's so your strings aren't falling off.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Its not bad for your guitar if its setup right. If you plan to keep it in drop c, you would probably want to put a bit heavier strings on it and make a truss rod adjustment. Just depends on how the neck reacts over time with the new strings/tuning. Nothing that is going to ruin your guitar however.
Quote by BackSeatSuicide

lol, but no drop tuning isn't bad, and your teacher IS probably trying to turn you off of heavy music, traditionalists tend to hate metal

i use DR Tite-Fit 10-50's and i tune to drop B,C,Db,and 1 step down. i have to keep changing tuning cause i only have one guitar, but for shows i use my drummer's guitars cause he has 5 or 6 $100-$200 guitars and i use them cause he's not that good so i keep them in different tunings
Last edited by tukk04 at Dec 8, 2008,
...no, dropped and down-tunings are not bad for your guitar.

A pain if you want to change a floating bridge guitar between tunings a lot, but other than that, no.

People have some funny ideas....