Another area of my expertise, Ibanez guitars. This thread is a decoder for thier serial numbers for post 1987 guitars. (well most of them) It is currently under construction and I shall make another when the new one is complete. But this has plenty of info for now.

I'll start with pickup configurations
*10 single Bridge HB
*20 dual HB rear route
*30 Three Single coils (seen both rear and front route)
*40 HSS Rear route
*50 HSH frount route
*60 HSS front route
*65 H S rear route
*70 HSH rear route

i'll then do model numbers. However Ibanez has been increasinly less strict about model numbers
1** Non MIJ made with traditionial trem
2** Non MIJ made. typically hardtail
3** Non MIJ made Either floyd or hardtail
4** MIJ made (in the past now usually korean) however with low quality trem (lo-trs)
5** MIJ made.
6** Mij made typically Japanese production only
7** MIJ made better cosmetics than 5** line
8** MIJ made basses (in the past)
1*** Current Prestige line Mij made for rgs. MIK for some s's and all current basses with exception of SR 20th
2*** Current prestige line. Some finer appointments than 1*** line mainly cosmetics.
3*** MIJ. Finer appointments. Often nicer choices in woods.
8*** J custom models. Best quality Ibanez currently makes.

miscalaneous
ex=in the early nineties it stood for expirimental. At the time Ibanez refused to put RG on any korean guitars due to less quality. If only they did that now. Usually now ex stands for exclusive (some stores have exclusive rights to some models)
dx= deluxe some finer cosmetics or special features. (very evident with 770dx)
m= maple fretboard
xx= 20th anniversary
**1= hardtail (example is an rg 321 is a korean made dual hb guitar which is hardtail)
**7 = 7string (depends on model)
7*** = 7string (it depends on model)
Last edited by Ibanez20th at Dec 4, 2008,
sweet, nice work tom.

pifty has something similar to this on his website in his sig...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
You missed out QM - Quilted maple. The QM comes at the end of the morse code thingy.
By the way you said "4** MIJ made (in the past now usually korean) however with low quality trem (lo-trs)", and you said that ibanez were being less strict on the rules. So does this guitar (S-470DXQM) follow those rules or is it one of the bad boy rulebreakers?

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/12078

Thanks for the post
^ that one should be ok, it's got a ZR, which is a decent trem, as far as i'm aware. it's not made in japan, though.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
My guide largely relates to the older Ibanez models. I'm planning on greatly extending this thread to be both comprehensive with older models and newer ones. Even going to include color codes, the works basically. I hope to have the new version done by spring.

I know the qm, fm, etc there. It will be included on the new one as well.