Page 1 of 3
Okay, we all know our favourite famous guitarists use effects and top of the range equipment....but, despite this, who do you think is the cleanest guitarist going?

I'd like to suggest Daryl Stuermer is up there, 100% self taught, excellent ear and clean to the hilt. I especially like the way some of his alternate picking sounds legato.

Satriani is also up there...

On the other hand Herman Li for example, uses lots of effects and is sloppy as ****. Suggestions?

EDIT: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=I-mrqz96yeY Brilliant.
Quote by guitarman47
jeff loomis
marty friedman

Yes, Marty Friedman.

Last time I saw Judas Priest Tipton was pretty clean.
Shawn Lane, MAB and Gilbert

EDIT: typos

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Is this a joke? I mean, Satch? Judas Priest?

Are you friggin kidding me?

Good players but not clean.

Umm, I guess I would say Kerry King or Zak Wylde

Honestly, James Burton or Chet Atkins maybe? How about Segovia?
Quote by PabloGilberto
And so, the question was finally answered.

Bravo!

To sig or not to Sig, That's the question
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
Quote by the agony scene
+1
gilbert's cleaner than a nuns thong.

lmfao true
Guitars:
2009 Fender 72 Deluxe Telecaster
Yamaha F-130 Acoustic
Amps:
Blackstar HT5
Effects:
MXR Micro Chorus
R3FX Dual Resistafier
There are a lot of clean guitarists... I'd say Jani Liimatainen from Sonata Arctica, just to not say a famous one.
What about Greg Howe? Other than the occasional bit of distortion I don't think he uses much else, at least not since he played for MJ
Paul Waggoner. He might mess up every once in a while live (Honestly, who doesn't?) but lawdy is he clean on the record. And Gilbert/Collins/Petrucci, of course

And Muhammed from Necrophagist...Oh, and that Guevo (I dunno how to spell it) guy from Youtube is pretty good. There are more, I can't remember though...

SNAP! Allan Holdsworth and Guthrie Govan.
My gear:
Schecter C-1+ w/ Seymour duncan Jazz (neck) and Full Shred (bridge), with Sperzels
B-52 LG-100A 4x12 half stack
Rogue LX405 Bass
Yamaha classical
Some sort of acoustic Squier
Boss Flanger
Lyon Chorus
Quote by which ones pink

+11111112002380. I have a Slayer tattoo, but Kerry King is FAR from clean ROFFLE.
How would a guitar player like Gilbert who usually plays through a fuzz box be considered clean?
Quote by Tone Tubby
How would a guitar player like Gilbert who usually plays through a fuzz box be considered clean?

Tubby? You think Kerry King is clean....i mean everyone is entitled an opinion but all you need to dispute your opinion is EARS. Gilbert is 192382083408 times cleaner than King OR Wylde. And for the purposes of this thread i guess i kinda meant who's clean LIVE. Cause on record a lot of stuff can be mixed out. (Dragonforce, etc)
Quote by SchecterC-1+Man
Paul Waggoner. He might mess up every once in a while live (Honestly, who doesn't?) but lawdy is he clean on the record. And Gilbert/Collins/Petrucci, of course

Paul Waggoner = underrated awesomeness, if you want an idea of how on point he is, check out a youtube video of a live version of white walls w/the recorded song playing in the background, you get a sense of how him and the whole band are perfectly in time.
Quote by danohat
Mark Knopfler plays clean and usually no distortion.

I didn't mean without distortion.....i think Knopfler is clean-ish, but he's not one of the best, plus he uses fingers, not picks, so it's easier to sound smooth.
Quote by LightxGrenade
Paul Waggoner = underrated awesomeness, if you want an idea of how on point he is, check out a youtube video of a live version of white walls w/the recorded song playing in the background, you get a sense of how him and the whole band are perfectly in time.

Also check out him tracking the Selkies solo on youtube. I couldn't tell a difference between that and the recorded
steve morse hands down. he plays some insanely technical stuff and NEVER makes a mistake or hits an extra string (watch him play tumeni notes, then intro is monsterous)
i can't fathom how nobody appreciates this guy and his technique (at least on this forum)
Last edited by ironman1478 at Dec 4, 2008,
Quote by Inferrest
so it's easier to sound smooth.

Why does the difficulty matter. If he sounds cleaner than other guitarists why does the fact that he's "CHEATING" matter.

Gilmour can play unbelievably clean.
EJ plays so clean to the point where the subtleties of music is gone and every note sounds too perfect.
Quote by Tommy Walker
Why does the difficulty matter. If he sounds cleaner than other guitarists why does the fact that he's "CHEATING" matter.

Gilmour can play unbelievably clean.
EJ plays so clean to the point where the subtleties of music is gone and every note sounds too perfect.

He's not 'cheating'. But subtle fingerpicking sounds cleaner than using a pick, and since most of the people on UG listen to players who use picks i guess i meant THEM. Sorry, should have made that clear. I think Gilmours a bit more dirty sounding, but in my opinion he's the greatest guitarist that ever lived, he mixes relatively clean playing, with a fantastic ear, some technical playing and also the best phrasing in the business, in my opinion
Paul Gilbert, Guthrie Govan, Steve Vai, Michael Romeo, the list goes on. It's hard to choose one definitively over others.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Jimmy Page?

...No.

Quote by Tone Tubby

I don't think you understand the question. It's about who has the best technique and makes the fewest mistakes, not who has the least overdriven amp.

For me, I would say Paul Gilbert, but when I saw Joe Satriani, he didn't miss a note either, and I don't want to make a list of every clean guitarist there is. But Gilbert is the obvious one, so I'll stick to him.
Jackson Kelly KE3 w/P-Rails; Aria Pro II TSB-350
• ZVex Fuzz Factory; DigiTech Whammy; Danelectro Fish & Chips; Marshall ED1; Fulltone OCD; DigiTech Whammy; Marshall JMP1; Boss CE3; Vox AC4TV

EMU 0404; Reason/Record; M-Audio AV40
john petrucci?
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Michael Romeo, his tapping is so insanely clean and fast. Hands down the best

1980s Ibanez RG470
Epiphone G400
Peavey Vypyr 30
Vox DA5
Vox Cybaby Wah
Monster Cables
and Red Jazz IIIs

I donated 2020 grains of rice

http://freerice.com/index.php
Francesco Fareri (but I've never seen the dude play live so idk...) Broderick, Loomis is pretty clean, Vai, Satch, Morse, Michael Romeo is pretty damn clean, Rusty Cooley, Gilbert, Petrucci, uhhh idk a lot have been named, the list certainly goes on.

But to the guy who said ZW and KK, no. ZW? Maybe. Some nights. KK? NO. And if you thought it was about the "clean" as in no distortion, WHY DID YOU THINK OF THESE TWO???
Last edited by edusty2010 at Dec 4, 2008,
Eric Johnson. Havent heard him a whole lot live, but what i have heard is amazingly clean and technical. +1 to Devilman for Randy Rhoads too.

Quote by Tone Tubby

because he prefers to play with distortion

http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=_nU0wdDkUck

watch it

Steffen Schackinger is another extremely clean player. he also writes some beautiful music.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Last edited by Waterboy799 at Dec 4, 2008,
Angus Young. No effects whatsoever. Gibson SG into a cranked Marshall Tube Amp.
Sat in his room all day practicing guitar and drinking milkshakes. No drugs or alcohol.
Gives it his all every night on stage.
UG's AC/DC Lover
Page 1 of 3