Page 1 of 2
Just curious as to what you guys think of it, I cant seem to find a bad review for it, and I'm being offered a used one, just want to make sure there are no downsides
(besides the fact that theres only one channel...which bugs me)
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

you can't shape the tone that much and you can't play clean at high volume or distorted at low volume

there's only one control

the sound quality is supposed to be great tho, but the volume controls the tone
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
^can't I mod it to make a seperate tone knob?
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

it's got good cleans, but it wont get distorted without blaring
and it can get boring, I'd imagine a good EQ & distortion pedal would make it alot more versatile, but stock, it's overrated
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
yea the impression i get is that its a good, cheap(costwise) foundation for pedals.
Stock its not very versatile. You turn it up its not clean. But there are tons of things you can do to em. Its pretty easy to give it the standard gain and vol knob set up. Adding tone controls is not much harder. You can add an FX loop, reverb, etc. Its all in how far you want to go. You could make it a 2 channel amp if you want. But if you have no experience with this kind of thing be easy to get over your head. And the early versions need more work to make em good. The version 3 has alot of the bugs worked out. And they are pretty cheap.
Quote by r2zou
yea the impression i get is that its a good, cheap(costwise) foundation for pedals.

This is it exactly. I rarely use it alone. I will however turn the amp models off on my POD and just use the fx with the Vj depending on what i'm playing. It does have a nice tone and pedals do wonders for it.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
I have one, it's pretty good for now. I just practice in the garage.

Everything on my amp is still stock, I run an EQ and other stuff with it but when I crank it by itself, I notice it's kinda... dark I guess, or too muddy (if that's the correct term) in my opinion. But I haven't tried it with other tubes.

Anybody recommend any tubes that would make it a tad brighter, with good headroom, perhaps a tad rougher kind of distortion perhaps? (If that one is possible)

But from what I've read, people's VJs usually pickup gain pretty early, like around 10 maybe.
Mine doesn't though, it starts to distort around like 2, which is light gain, then around like 4 is when I get a decent amount, but it gets kinda muddy, again IMO.

But I think it's a nice practice tube amp though. Maybe the Blackheart's better, i wouldn't know though. I heard that's more modern sounding, which I don't want.
It's good if you play classic rock or blues, and you're on a budget.
If you play metal, and you can't spend much, I would get a Vypyr or Cube before the EVJ.
But overall, the EVJ is a sweet little amp for the price. It's also a very popular modding amp, so there's plenty of mods out there if you want to twewak it.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by mcraddict81592
^can't I mod it to make a seperate tone knob?

yeah. its really easy to add a tone control to the amp. and it makes a massive difference. really livens the amp up a load. out of all the mods i have done, i wish i had stopped after just adding a tone control... it makes the most obvious and useful modification.
Thank you please.
Imho it is the best amp for blues and classic rock for under 400. Im not talking the combo though, cuz the little speaker really distorts in a terrible way, and sounds extremely boxy. The head though with a nice cab with at least 1 good 12" speaker, is great for practicing. With good speakers, string seperation is really good, giving it a nice clarity when overdriven , something that you usually only obtain in much more expensive amps. And as for cleans, what I do is I always have the amp cranked, and merely roll back my guitar vol to get cleans. Works great, and the amp cleans up very nicely. It's not the best amp i the world, but for the price, it cant be beat imo. Use an OD or boost, to send it into solo territory, as the amp cranked and guitar at 10 really only is good for crunhy sounds; albeit very good crunchy tones
Guitars:
Gibson L. P std. 2006
Gibson L. P studio
Höfner asj228
Main amp:
Marshall 2061x HW head
Marshall 2061cx cab
fx:
Stock BD-2
TU-2
verbzilla
C.M. Red repeat
T-rex F.T.
Practice:
Epi vjr head
2x12 V30 cab and 4x10 G10 cab
Quote by Mockingbird452
I have one, it's pretty good for now. I just practice in the garage.

Everything on my amp is still stock, I run an EQ and other stuff with it but when I crank it by itself, I notice it's kinda... dark I guess, or too muddy (if that's the correct term) in my opinion. But I haven't tried it with other tubes.

Anybody recommend any tubes that would make it a tad brighter, with good headroom, perhaps a tad rougher kind of distortion perhaps? (If that one is possible)

But from what I've read, people's VJs usually pickup gain pretty early, like around 10 maybe.
Mine doesn't though, it starts to distort around like 2, which is light gain, then around like 4 is when I get a decent amount, but it gets kinda muddy, again IMO.

But I think it's a nice practice tube amp though. Maybe the Blackheart's better, i wouldn't know though. I heard that's more modern sounding, which I don't want.

the tubes that i have found that sound the best imo. jj el84 and a mesa 12at7 you get more clean headroom and a much fuller and fatter DEFINED sound with an overdrive pedal. if your looking to play metal of any kind your gonna need a good over drive pedal. i use 2 one set for the amount of gain i'm looking for and one as a clean boost. speaker swap makes a huge difference!
Last edited by mmjohn at Dec 5, 2008,
It lasted me about 6 months. It sounds better than the modellers for cleans and takes od pedals really well, it can warm up even supposedly rubbish distortion pedals such as the MT-2 to sound actually really good due to its large amount of mids, loose bass and recessed treble. However the amp doesn't really cope with gigging very well unless you have the head and a 2x12, and it doesn't sound very good when overdriven.

Next to my Laney, however it sounds horribly inadequate and its inadequacies do become very obvious when compared to something that costs as little as £60 more.

Good beginner practice amp, but not a great one overall.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
People giving opinions is not flaming. I liked a super champ xd more than it. It just didn't quite sound right I wasn't very impressed, didn't and still don't see what all the hubbub is about
Quote by pak1351
People giving opinions is not flaming. I liked a super champ xd more than it. It just didn't quite sound right I wasn't very impressed, didn't and still don't see what all the hubbub is about

lol..................this subject alway's turns in to a pissing contest instead of answers.
Quote by MrCarrot
It lasted me about 6 months. It sounds better than the modellers for cleans and takes od pedals really well, it can warm up even supposedly rubbish distortion pedals such as the MT-2 to sound actually really good due to its large amount of mids, loose bass and recessed treble. However the amp doesn't really cope with gigging very well unless you have the head and a 2x12, and it doesn't sound very good when overdriven.

Next to my Laney, however it sounds horribly inadequate and its inadequacies do become very obvious when compared to something that costs as little as £60 more.

Good beginner practice amp, but not a great one overall.

You really like the laneys overdrive more than the VJR what guitars are you using? Curious as Ive been though nearly every small head to find one that sounds good enough to be acceptable I personally find the overdrive really good for the price. Or are you talking about the horrible speaker dist the combo gets anywhere past 12 o clock?
Guitars:
Gibson L. P std. 2006
Gibson L. P studio
Höfner asj228
Main amp:
Marshall 2061x HW head
Marshall 2061cx cab
fx:
Stock BD-2
TU-2
verbzilla
C.M. Red repeat
T-rex F.T.
Practice:
Epi vjr head
Quote by mcraddict81592
Just curious as to what you guys think of it, I cant seem to find a bad review for it, and I'm being offered a used one, just want to make sure there are no downsides
(besides the fact that theres only one channel...which bugs me)

I think it leaves a lot to be desired. Tone is subjective. You like it, good for you. I like another amp better. Good for me.

I'm not trying to flame or turn it into a pissing contest, just answering the question.
Quote by pak1351

about good distortion really I've had the super champ, and the cleans sure are good. But generally i hated the fact that it was horrible in any kind of overdrvie. probably due to the fact that you HAVE to useone of the preset voicings. really wish they would have made a bypass option for that, or better yet. simply put just an eq on there instead. But as for cleans you are absolutely right overdrive on a champ though. Thats a no go imo
Guitars:
Gibson L. P std. 2006
Gibson L. P studio
Höfner asj228
Main amp:
Marshall 2061x HW head
Marshall 2061cx cab
fx:
Stock BD-2
TU-2
verbzilla
C.M. Red repeat
T-rex F.T.
Practice:
Epi vjr head
Quote by chrisdam
You really like the laneys overdrive more than the VJR what guitars are you using? Curious as Ive been though nearly every small head to find one that sounds good enough to be acceptable I personally find the overdrive really good for the price. Or are you talking about the horrible speaker dist the combo gets anywhere past 12 o clock?
If I ever use it, it's into a 2x12 with a Celestion G12H. It's not the speaker.

And yeah. The Laney's overdrive is infinitely better. The valve junior sounds thin, muddy, fizzy, blatty, and lacks sustain in comparison. IMO it only really sounds good either clean with an EQ or with an OD's own gain on top.
Quote by MrCarrot
If I ever use it, it's into a 2x12 with a Celestion G12H. It's not the speaker.

And yeah. The Laney's overdrive is infinitely better. The valve junior sounds thin, muddy, fizzy, blatty, and lacks sustain in comparison. IMO it only really sounds good either clean with an EQ or with an OD's own gain on top.

+1

Same experiances I had with it...
Its hard to compare the amp to something like a laney or any other high gain high wattage amp. The VJ only has 1 preamp tube so theres a serious limit to its gain. Stock its not going to be a metal machine. But do to the amount of mods that can be made to it its only really limited by the owners skills at this sort of modding. I havent tried the combo so dont know how its speaker is but its what 8" so cant expect much. I have the head unit and the stock speaker is pretty decent. The bottom end is going to be limited as theres only 5 watts pushing it.
^ I have a VC30. Which I run with two power tubes in. So it's hardly a high wattage high gain metal amp. It's pure Vox territory.
Quote by darkarbiter7
It's good if you play classic rock or blues, and you're on a budget.
If you play metal, and you can't spend much, I would get a Vypyr or Cube before the EVJ.
But overall, the EVJ is a sweet little amp for the price. It's also a very popular modding amp, so there's plenty of mods out there if you want to twewak it.

+1

it's good as long as you accept that it's more or less a one-trick pony, and accept its limitations. or if you want to try your hand at modding- but be EXTREMELY careful, there are lethal voltages which persist even when it's turned off.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'd also agree with what mr carrot's saying, in that if you have to spend much money to get it to do what you want (a bunch of pedals etc.), then it's probably not worth it as you could just buy a better amp.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I had the combo and ended up selling it, it's not a good sounding amp at all in my opinion. There are maybe 2 half decent tones in there and other amps do them better for just a bit more cash.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
If you pick up a V3, swap the output transformer :
http://www.turretboards.com/valve_junior_page.htm#Kits (scroll down, they have an OT for $43)

and add a tone control:
http://www.diycustomamps.com/images/vj/VJ_tweed_tone_control.jpg (parts from www.mouser.com are like $5)

And you'll be good to go. Try those two before worrying about tubes.

Don't try to make it something it's not. It's great for having an amp under $200 that you can cart around easily and sounds better than any little SS amp. It's not going to gig, or even practice and it's not going to be versatile.

It's fun to play around with, but once I got a blues jr. I haven't used it since. I leave it at my shop for use when I build pedals.

-J
i thought the V3's output transformer was good to go?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i thought the V3's output transformer was good to go?
It's much better than the other ones.
The VJ is great for what it's meant for.

I would personally fork over the extra 50 bucks and get the Blackheart Little Giant. It has a 5w/3w switch, a 3 band eq, and IMO sounds better.
I really didn't like it, not boosted, not clean, not overdriven on it's own. It's a muddy amp and I didn't think modding it would be worth my time with I could get a bjr for 275, an amp I do like and is also easy to mod (once you get access to the PCB).

When/if you mod, make sure you know how to drain the caps, I seriously doubt such a cheap amp will have bleeder resistors.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
^ skimming through sewatt.com, i thought some of the VJ versions had the bleeder resistors, but I could be wrong. And it's certainly better practice to drain even if not needed, than not to drain and find out you should have... o_O

Quote by MrCarrot
It's much better than the other ones.

yeah, it's the right impedance at least, isn't it?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ skimming through sewatt.com, i thought some of the VJ versions had the bleeder resistors, but I could be wrong. And it's certainly better practice to drain even if not needed, than not to drain and find out you should have... o_O

I always check before I do anything anyways, they don't bleed all that fast so you can mess yourself up if you get into the amp too soon after turning it off.
yeah, definitely.

I still need to mod mine, lol.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

Yeah, right impedance.

And I dunno about others but I have a V2 combo and it always has negligible residual voltage after about 5 minutes.
Quote by MrCarrot
Yeah, right impedance.

And I dunno about others but I have a V2 combo and it always has negligible residual voltage after about 5 minutes.

My bjr never seemed to drain below 5 volts so maybe that's normal?
Quote by Kevin Saale
My bjr never seemed to drain below 5 volts so maybe that's normal?
God knows, all I know is that after 5 minutes of being powered down it had no residual voltage left that could be measured by the DMM whatsoever, this even happened after about 3 minutes once.
Page 1 of 2