So I need to purchase a new computer. I want to primarily use it for recording. The problem is my budget is limited to between $500 and $700. Should I go with a Mac Mini, or some sort of cheap laptop( the portability would be great) running windows? Thanks.

Edit: By the way, this is my first venture into computer recording. I've been using 4 track tape machines, and a fostex digital 8 track. But I do have experience from working with a family member who has a small home studio, as well as working in the school music labs with garageband.
Quote by ottoavist

i suppose there's a chance
i'm just a litte too shallow to consider
that maybe i've been a little more eager
each day to wake up and take a shower
brush my teeth and smile for the mirror
Quote by ottoavist

i suppose there's a chance
i'm just a litte too shallow to consider
that maybe i've been a little more eager
each day to wake up and take a shower
brush my teeth and smile for the mirror
There are a tons of older machines coming off of corporate leases that can be had very reasonably. I have 2 PC's for music, one for recording and one (that is my main working system here for) mixing one. The recording system is Gateway E6000, I upgraded it to 1 gig of RAM and added a 160 meg HD and had it running for $200 and change (less the monitor). I'm upgrading my main system here, got a Dell (forget the model) 3.4 MHz, 2 gigs of RAM, 120 HD and a 250 HD and a DVD (and CD) burner. Cost with shipping was $312, Windows XP Pro COA on the box. Check around, lots of places selling that stuff off

Tony