So I'm going flying to New Zealand today, I'm staying with my family for a month over Christmas/New Years. I'm leaving pretty soon, and I'm starting to worry. I broke my femur (leg) recently and they had to stick a metal rod in place of it. So I have a few questions that the pit probably can't answer, but I'll try anyway.

1. Is the metal rod going to set of the metal scanners at the airport?
2. Would I get strip-searched if they do?
3. Can I refuse a strip-search?
4. What are the actually allowed to do during strip searches? (Can they do cavity searches too?)

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: It's too late to get a paper from my doctor, I'm leaving in 45 minutes.
Last edited by Rhythm__Guitar at Dec 4, 2008,
Quote by Rhythm__Guitar
So I'm going flying to New Zealand today, I'm staying with my family for a month over Christmas/New Years. I'm leaving pretty soon, and I'm starting to worry. I broke my femur (leg) recently and they had to stick a metal rod in place of it. So I have a few questions that the pit probably can't answer, but I'll try anyway.

1. Is the metal rod going to set of the metal scanners at the airport?
2. Would I get strip-searched if they do?
3. Can I refuse a strip-search?
4. What are the actually allowed to do during strip searches? (Can they do cavity searches too?)

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

1. Yes
2. Not necessarily
3. Yes, but you won't be able to get on the plane
4. Not sure, but it's redundant. They'll be able to isolate the cause of the problem to your leg. They won't look in your ass.

They'll probably just use the wand on your leg/body to make sure the only source of metal is in your leg, and let you pass. If you have toes poking out, they'll know it's just your leg there, and not someone with a prosthetic leg hiding an explosive device.
Last edited by KwikKopy at Dec 4, 2008,
Well, there would be lots of people who have the same condition as you, and so I'm sure the airport officers know how to differentiate that from a bomb etc.
My Last.fm
USA Fender Stratocaster | Roland Cube 60 | VOX ToneLab LE
Get a note from your doctor explaining what you've got. It might be made of a metal that doesn't set the detectors off, but if it came right down to it, they would just wave a handheld scanner over your bare leg and see that the metal is in the leg itself.
Yes,Yes,No, You may need a paper from the doctor...if not then Yes
funkyducky

Icing happen when de puck come down, BANG, you know,
before de oder guys, nobody dere, you know.
My arm go comme ça, den de game stop den start up.

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
1. Probably
2. No, they would use a hand-held metal detector to locate the source.
3. I don't think so
4. They search you inside-out.

I'm sure it would set it off. You know, metal rod through a metal detector.
If you explain that you've had surgery on your leg or whatever, and lift up the pant leg to show them your leg, you'll probably be fine. Or doctors note. Otherwise, they'd use the handheld scanner thingies and locate the source.

If they did want to search you, and you flat out refused, they'd probably think you're a terrorist, and they'd cavity search you with a jackhammer.
Pick flowers not fights.
Make love not war.
Drop acid not bombs.

usually the most they will do is wand you, they could try to force you to remove your cast, but just threaten to sue them and all that if they do.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
1. Most Likely
2. Probably
3. You can, but they can refuse to allow you through too
4. Yes they CAN do a cavity search but i don't think they would. there's no point, and really, noone WANTS to do a cavity search
usually the most they will do is wand you, they could try to force you to remove your cast, but just threaten to sue them and all that if they do.

There's no cast. My leg has more or less healed, it's just I have a piece of metal inside it.
Quote by Rhythm__Guitar
There's no cast. My leg has more or less healed, it just I have a piece of metal inside it.

Then you're perfectly fine. No one is going to question the metal inside your bare leg is anything but a metal rod.
Then you're perfectly fine. No one is going to question the metal inside your bare leg is anything but a metal rod.

But I'll still get strip searched right?
theyll make u stick ur leg in the x ray thing
Gear:
Morpheus Droptune
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Bugera 333xl 212
SCHECTER JEFF LOOMIS C7 FR
can you have an mri scan

if you can have an mri scan - then you'll be able to pass through the machines without setting them off

the machines work on the principle of a magnetic field being generated and ferromagnetic materials are picked up by the sensors (thus the reason why you cannot have a pace maker whilst you go through the scanners)

but if you take a doctors note it should be fine

I took 200ml of liquid and hypodermic needles on a ryanscare flight, and because I had the doctors note I got straight on!
<--- This is Wally. Not Waldo.

Gear List:
Ibanez RG570
Fender MIA Strat (in black, HSS)
Godawful Marshall MG practice amp

My Youtube
My godawful blog
Quote by Rhythm__Guitar

If by strip you mean roll up your pant leg. They will wand you, and realize that it only beeps when they hover over your leg. This will not be a big deal.
Quote by Rhythm__Guitar

Do you want to get strip searched?
My Last.fm
USA Fender Stratocaster | Roland Cube 60 | VOX ToneLab LE