I have decided to get a second axe because I've been playing a crappy Ibanez Gio for a year and a half. I mainly play grunge (mudhoney, nirvana, alic in chains), Punk (rise against, nofx, mid- career green day), and metal (early metallica, black sabbath, guns n roses) along with some classic rock(the doors, cream, Hendrix) and ska (Operation Ivy, the clash). I boiled it down to either A Fender standard strat (three singles but pickups almost sound humbucker-ish distorted) An ibanez rg350 dx or a jackson dkmg. My favorite do to comfort and sound was the strat, but which one would soot my playing style best or just be overall best?

Quote by THEKID546
look at schecters aswell they make phenominal guitars for cheap.

Indeed.

I'd probably go with the RG350DX according to your musical styles.
this&that wrote:

And all we're going to hear is ARGH CLICKCLICKCLICK TAPTAPTAP WAMMMYYYY CLICILCKCLICK ARGH IM SO BADASS AT METALLICA

WHAT'S YOUR AMP?
WHAT'S YOUR BUDGET?
ANY THING YOU THINK YOU NEED(24 frets, floyd rose, HSH, HSS etc?)?
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
Quote by FlanHappyFlan2K
Indeed.

I'd probably go with the RG350DX according to your musical styles.

I know they look all cheesy and cheap, because they over the top the cometics but once i played one i couldnt let it down and i overlooked the cheesinees just because it was such a damn good guitar for cheap.

EDIT:talking about shecters
I Play Through a crappy ibanez practice amp with loads of stompboxes
My budget is $250-$400
In particular i'm mainly look for an at least decent tremolo system and smooth high notes as opposed to my gio wihich gets kinda earsplitting when you reach certain notes

answering idnovelo's question
Last edited by z-man124 at Dec 4, 2008,
HSS standard strat sounds good for your lighter stuff
But the DKMG would be way better for the metal & punk stuff
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
^^^The earsplitting noise is probably from the amp.

I'd get a strat, because I want a single coil and humbucker equipped guitar
Last edited by pak1351 at Dec 4, 2008,
I wouldn't get a strat for those styles and a lot of people that do have strats in heavy music use humbucker strats. But i still wouldn't go for it. For for 50 more dollars... 450 you can get a nice ibanez RG. I used to own this guitar. I mean it doesn't really hang with my more expensive guitars but it's nice for the price. the pickups in it aren't great though but for a guitar this price you usually don't get damn good pickups. You can pickup a decent pickup for 50 bucks to go with it though.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RG-Electric-Guitar?sku=481915
When it comes to cheap guitars usually schecter does it better than anyone else. Quality wise. I love jackson guitars but their cheap guitars aren't the best. But for that price range I'd go with that Ibanez I posted.
Quote by THEKID546
^yah i wouldnt take a cheap japanese guitar, not this decade.

Try Indonesian which hella worse...

And Japanese Ibanez's are actually some of the best and most sought after guitars...

And TS if you like Ibanez's get a used Japanese model. Better trem, neck and quality is ten fold better then any of the Indonesian RG's made today.
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Dec 4, 2008,
Quote by THEKID546
^why cause it looks like a metal and punk guitar.

probably because of the floyd rose & EMG's, but thats just my opinion,
i dont knw anything about the specific Ibanez he's talking about, but Im not really a fan of the ones Ive played
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Try Indonesian which hella worse...

And Japanese Ibanez's are actually some of the best and most sought after guitars...

And TS if you like Ibanez's get a used Japanese model. Better trem, neck and quality is ten fold better then any of the Indonesian RG's made today.

Ibanez quality has gone down over the years. This guy is right. The older ibanez guitars are better quality guitars. But I hate used guitars. It's a mental thing with me. Even if it's in good shape. If I get a new guitar I want it to be new and no one had their grubby hands all over it. Plus you got to order it, wait for it.. all of that. I hate ordering stuff too. lol When I get the cash to get a new guitar I like to just go pick it up.
Quote by hcsn2008
Ibanez quality has gone down over the years. This guy is right. The older ibanez guitars are better quality guitars. But I hate used guitars. It's a mental thing with me. Even if it's in good shape. If I get a new guitar I want it to be new and no one had their grubby hands all over it. Plus you got to order it, wait for it.. all of that. I hate ordering stuff too. lol When I get the cash to get a new guitar I like to just go pick it up.

You are correct on Ibanez...

Also I was the same way, until I went through hell and back trying to get my Ibanez RG370DX to actually play worth a d@mn. Constant fret buzz, Neck angle off (had to be shimmed), Nut to low, Knife edge wear within two weeks of owning it, constant tunning issues and the pickups where horrid. After that experiance I will never buy a new guitar when I can get a better model for cheaper, that has better quality and has been road tested. Now if I was rich I would be a different story, but I want the most of my money and lower end guitars are just that lower end guitars. With used I can atleast step up into that higher end bracket for the same price.
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Dec 4, 2008,
Quote by IbanezPsycho
I was the same way, until I went through hell and back trying to get my Ibanez RG370DX to actually play worth a d@mn. Constant fret buzz, Neck angle off (had to be shimmed), Nut to low, Knife edge wear within two weeks of owning it, constant tunning issues and the pickups where horrid. After that experiance I will never buy a new guitar when I can get a better model for cheaper, that has better quality and has been road tested. Now if I was rich I would be a different story, but I want the most of my money and lower end guitars are just that lower end guitars. With used I can atleast step up into that higher end bracket for the same price.

Yep with every ibanez I've owned I've had to pay to have fret work done. Also put new pickups in there. With every schecter I've owned the fretboard is automatically like it has had fret work. You can set the action low and get no buzz at all. Ibanez is known for having rising frets. It's like they just throw the things together.
Quote by hcsn2008
Yep with every ibanez I've owned I've had to pay to have fret work done. Also put new pickups in there. With every schecter I've owned the fretboard is automatically like it has had fret work. You can set the action low and get no buzz at all. Ibanez is known for having rising frets. It's like they just throw the things together.

Yup and thats why I love my Japanese RG560 also ESP's are quite good I love mine and have had no issues out of her. I also like schecter but I'm not fond of the way there necks feel.