Alright, my writing has come to a pretty abrupt crash. I figured it was time for some fuel.

Any recommendations for contemporary poets? Can be anything really, but the more original, the better.
I need some writing, to help me write,
Lately when i think, i think of nothing but ****e,
I need some help, help i do need,
if i cannot write, my ass will bleed.

Sorry, but this is of no help
Black Knight CF-60F Semi-Acoustic.

Black Knight CP200 (Red flamed maple).

Neck-thru 4 string bass.

Acoustic 6 string.
Dude, I qwould recommend William Blake. He is not a modern poet, (Romantic Period)but his poems have a beautiful lyricsm, fantastic imagery and great economy of words.

Besides most modern poets suck anyway lol. Other than that, my recommendaton is go acorss time and maybe culutes to, don't limit yourself to modern or only american or whatever, the broader and deeper you dig, the more you will find.
Hardy's "Ah, are you digging on my grave?"
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
Most modern poets are base and uninteresting. As a general rule they lack flair and the ability to manipulate their language. Personally, I'm quite fond of the era of Romanticism, Keats, Coleridge, Wordsworth. I also find that, unfortunately, very few poets from America interest me. Though don't take that into account.

So, in closing, Romanticism. Do it.
Quote by Haedadru
I suggest nicola teslas powered radiation death ray mounted on an orange, top secret, neo-nazi flying swastika

What?
"All along this path I tread / My heart betrays my weary head / With nothing but my love to save / From the cradle to the grave.”-EC
They credited us with the birth of that sort of heavy metal thing. Well, if that's the case, there should be an immediate abortion.

-Ginger Baker
Dude totally go for the classics, Whitman, Poe, Hemingway.

I also Suggest Rumi,
LOOK AT MY SIG!!!!
Quote by Xpresspeace
Dude totally go for the classics, Whitman, Poe, Hemingway.

I also Suggest Rumi,

I actually agree, try some classic stuff, and maybe that will get you inspired... What always helps me when I'm down on my writing is that I either read a book, it can be anything, but it throws words in your face that maybe you haven't used before, and it just broadens your mind... Also I like to think of a certain time in my life where I was overloaded with ideas, and things were just spinning around me at the speed of light... It's crazy, but there are moments like that.
Roses are red
Violets are Blue
I'll rape you with a rake
and your little dog too
Sail upon the open skies
Quote by HendrixClaptonP
Dude, I qwould recommend William Blake. He is not a modern poet, (Romantic Period)but his poems have a beautiful lyricsm, fantastic imagery and great economy of words.

Besides most modern poets suck anyway lol. Other than that, my recommendaton is go acorss time and maybe culutes to, don't limit yourself to modern or only american or whatever, the broader and deeper you dig, the more you will find.

I got some Blake already. He's rad.

I'm looking specifically for some more modern poetry so I can see in ways it's manifested itself recently, as I'm quite behind in modern poetry I'm afraid
How contemporary? You can indeed get a lot of great lyricists that could be poets in their own right. Scroobius Pip is a good one.

I also have quite a soft spot for Kate Nash's lyrics. www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5M0Ty7A1Do listen to the second half of this, it's pretty much just her reading a poem.

This one is entirely just a poem, about her friend. Trust me you will respect her more for hearing it. www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-mMsr1F7e8
Blake
Philip Larkin
Dylan Thomas
T.S. Eliot
The Mersey Poets- Roger McGough, Brian Patten and Adrian Henri
e. e. cummings
Robert Frost
Wilfred Owen
Quote by wizards?
I actually agree, try some classic stuff, and maybe that will get you inspired... What always helps me when I'm down on my writing is that I either read a book, it can be anything, but it throws words in your face that maybe you haven't used before, and it just broadens your mind... Also I like to think of a certain time in my life where I was overloaded with ideas, and things were just spinning around me at the speed of light... It's crazy, but there are moments like that.

I'm fairly well versed in the classics. The best poetry book I own is 'Songs of Innocence and Experience'.

I am interested into looking for new stuff.
Quote by MadClownDisease
How contemporary? You can indeed get a lot of great lyricists that could be poets in their own right. Scroobius Pip is a good one.

I also have quite a soft spot for Kate Nash's lyrics. www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5M0Ty7A1Do listen to the second half of this, it's pretty much just her reading a poem.

This one is entirely just a poem, about her friend. Trust me you will respect her more for hearing it. www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-mMsr1F7e8

Hells yeah, Scroobius Pip
Quote by Craigo
I'm fairly well versed in the classics. The best poetry book I own is 'Songs of Innocence and Experience'.

I am interested into looking for new stuff.

Hmmmm.... I'd say try Clarence Major, his stuff is really powerful... Other than that, I'd say go to your local library, find a modern contemporary poetry compillation, and just piece through it until you find something you like.
Quote by filthandfury
Hells yeah, Scroobius Pip

Haha unfortunately I can't really take his voice... his tone and such just isn't my style. Thus unfortunately the only song I can handle more than once is Thou Shalt Always Kill, and that's partly because I love Dan Le Sac's electro track.
Quote by MadClownDisease
Haha unfortunately I can't really take his voice... his tone and such just isn't my style. Thus unfortunately the only song I can handle more than once is Thou Shalt Always Kill, and that's partly because I love Dan Le Sac's electro track.

I love it like mad. The remixing of Planet Telex by Radiohead in A Letter From God To Man just turns me on. I wanted to see them at Reading this year, but it was either that or Rage... And Rage is a once in a lifetime sorta thing!
Quote by wizards?
Hmmmm.... I'd say try Clarence Major, his stuff is really powerful... Other than that, I'd say go to your local library, find a modern contemporary poetry compillation, and just piece through it until you find something you like.

My libraries are wank and I don't have enough time to go to my nearest decent one, over 20 miles away

But sure, I'll check him out.
Quote by Craigo
Whilst I am unfamiliar with the first name, are you seriously advocating Carlos Williams?

Personally, I don't like him. But there's no accounting for some tastes. And I don't know many modern poets.

Wait till next semester, when I've done my poetry module, and I'll get back to you.
Quote by Craigo
My libraries are wank and I don't have enough time to go to my nearest decent one, over 20 miles away

But sure, I'll check him out.

Well that's what the English library system will get for you
Songwriting and Lyrics forum has some awesome stuff lately.
I've seen you around there, so I don't think this will be much help though...
ok, yeah. my name is silly because I signed up when I was 13.

BEDBUGS
Quote by wizards?
Well that's what the English library system will get for you

Or living in a culturally deprived town which owes it's existence to old people who travel down here in the summer
Quote by Craigo
Or living in a culturally deprived town which owes it's existence to old people who travel down here in the summer

Join the club, my city library is a terrible terrible place... They haven't heard of Ernest Hemmingway, or George Orwell... I go to the St. Paul one if I want something, they have it all. That's the benefit of having big cities near you
Quote by wizards?
Join the club, my city library is a terrible terrible place... They haven't heard of Ernest Hemmingway, or George Orwell... I go to the St. Paul one if I want something, they have it all. That's the benefit of having big cities near you

My local city has the best University in the UK, third to Oxford and Cambridge, so the city library there is good
She paces and giggles across the grassy plain
I want to hold her, yet I have too much pain
So I sip on my juice that tastes like grape,
And I say **** it, and start to rape... her.
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

Quote by John Frusciante
Music isn't the Olympics. It's not about showing other people what you can do with a piece of wood in your hands that has strings on, it's about making sounds that are good.
Smart Child your sig is Hilarious

and ok, so common mistake when trying to write poetry, you read a poem and its the only one you know so you start writing and it sounds a whole lot like a watered down version of which you just read

so try reading multiple poems of all types and from different authors, it'll help

and next, i see this alot in people who are new to writing, they write what they think people wanna hear, and thats fine if you wanna suck but the truth is people dont know what they wanna hear, start writing whats real because most of time if its real its rubbing the audience a way they never felt before and half of the time they'll like it. You'll either be a good writer or too much for their liking but either way its a way to stand out in a crowd
Properly contemporary? Carole Ann Duffy, Seamus Heaney
Modern? TS elliot, ezra pound, phillip larkin, seamus heaney (again), dylan thomas

EDIT: People saying that modern poetry is bad are talking nonsense.
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Quote by meh!
Properly contemporary? Carole Ann Duffy, Seamus Heaney
Modern? TS elliot, ezra pound, phillip larkin, seamus heaney (again), dylan thomas

EDIT: People saying that modern poetry is bad are talking nonsense.

I meant properly Contemporary

And I dislike Duffy and Heaney's alright I guess...
Joshua Mehigan. Here's his website, with a few from his first book (a damn find book indeed) and some recent poems he's written. http://www.joshuamehigan.net/poems.html

Personally I'm not a fan of contemporary stuff, I thought the good stuff died out, probably because of the suicide rate... good poets don't last long

But Mehigan definitely gives me hope for good poetry still.
Heres a birthday poem.............

Jack wasn't nimble
Jack wasn't quick
Jack couldn't jump over you cake
And burned his.......

PANTS!!!
Check out Nick Flynn. "Some Ether" is a really quality book of poetry. He also wrote a really fantastic memoir called "Another Bullshit Night in Suck City" that is absolutely amazing. I can't stress that enough.

Another poet I really love is Richard Hell. He's huge on guys like Rimbaud, so you get a lot of that influence in there. You can get a TON of his poetry + essays + music reviews and more in a book he put out called Hot and Cold. He also has a few novels. I'd recommend Godlike and the Voidoid (if you can find it. Try Amazon).
DOWN&OUT