What are the best alternate picking exercises? I know about intense rock but all the exercises are very repetitive and are based on the same lick. I just want some variation that could make my picking the best that it could be. Songs that help wouldnt hurt either?
Quote by BamRazzled
What are the best alternate picking exercises? I know about intense rock but all the exercises are very repetitive and are based on the same lick. I just want some variation that could make my picking the best that it could be. Songs that help wouldnt hurt either?

1 - Exercise thread

2 - Song to work on *blank* thread

3 - Take the exercise you're currently running and change it as many different ways as you can think of - finger the same notes but differently, apply the opposite picking, economy pick it, whatever; the important part is that you make it different somehow.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
E|0-1--0-1--0-1--0-1--0-1-----
A|----2-----3-----4-----3-----2-2
:: ^ \ \ ^ \ \ ^ \ \ ^ \ \ ^ / / ^
From Master of puppets, helped me pick up economy picking skills. ^ : up pick
/ : down pick

Play it until you can play it faster then Kirk Hammet.
Last edited by ragt427 at Dec 4, 2008,
Quote by ragt427
Play it until you can play it faster then James Hetfield.

Fixed
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Well repetition is how you get good at picking(or anything for that matter). The licks on Intense Rock are a great way to build your picking technique.
Andy
Quote by ragt427

Play it until you can play it faster then Kirk Hammet/James Hetfield

Hard to know how fast that really is. In a 1993 issue of Guitar World, it was openly discussed in an interview with the band that the whole/much of the album was sped up in the studio.

Of course, Hetfield is/was at the time capable of playing around that speed during the many live performances that he played MOP songs, but studio version is definately not the real deal in that regard.

Anyway, back to the subject. Repetition as Andy said. This is super important, but equally important is your technique while getting all that repetition in. Ecomonic movements, minimal tension, and 90% of the picking motion from the wrist. If you don't get that down and continually pay attention to it while practicing, then the repetition will just lock in the bad technique instead of the good.