We all love it, when almost entirely by accident we come up with a fantastic little melody. Without hesitation, we rush to our favoured instrument and quickly improve the melody, and often expand it, ending up with a nice little main theme to a composition.

But has anybody else ever had it, that the more you play it, the less original, the more boring, the more "nothing special" it starts to sound? I have that almost every single time I come up with something.

Or if not, I'll come up with a melody or riff that I love at first, but after about five or ten minutes of playing and trying to develop it, I'll start to hate the way it sounds and scrap it.

Is there any way of minimising or stopping this? How do you guys cope with it, or what do you do about it?
Happens all the time. That's why you have to diversify what you study and listen to all sorts of music (not just metal as some do), like jazz, blues, rock, progressive, classical... We get repetitive because we are comfortable in some area (for instance, playing in Aminor), but we must go out of the "Box" and try learning new scales, progressions, licks, arpergios,...
Oh yes. Earlier a few days ago I was just playing with the top two strings and I came up with this little eerie tune that almost reminded me of a Marilyn Manson song, or maybe a King Diamond.

My way to get out composing work that sounds already made, is to go listen to a totally different genre for a couple days. I'm an auditory learner, so it's harder for me to do this, but I just try to infuse myself into a different genre. From this, I start remembering the new genre and almost forgetting the last one, so that when I go back I have completely new ideas, and things will start to sound more original to me.

Maybe it's a little to weird, but it's what I do. If I'm trying to make a riff for a song I want to sound like 90's rock like RHCP, I go listen to Angelo Badalementi (jazz) or Charles Manson ( classic rock). Works for me
yeah its the same thing as listening to a great song, its always better at first, then its overplayed in ur mind....always keep in mind how it sounded to you at first, cause thats the first impression people will get...same if u record a song, after recording it youve played it so much u hate it
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"
no way, usually i take and record that bit that i like and listen to it a couple days later, then a couple weeks later if i can basically listen to it over a time of several months and like it everytime then it makes the cut. hell, alot of times if i find myself just jamming a riff for 45 minutes and think its awesome even at the end of that then i record it and keep it.
Record your ideas. A lot of times I'll grab a guitar or keyboard when something jumps in my head just to capture the "magic" of playing it for the first time...then you can develope it or just forget about it because you've cpatured the moment.

...THEN...

After some time goes, go back and listen to those magic moments. You'll be surprized how even the "simple" ideas may trigger a whole new inspired moment. I've gotten tons of great little song parts just by going back and listening to previous ideas.

What might not seem significant now...may become something of incredible inspiration later.
I usually I like what I play. Sometimes I get a "reversal" on listening back to it. Something
I thought was pretty cool when I was playing, isn't all that distinguished, or something
I was just tossing in as some "filler" sounds really cool. Sometimes I'll just be what the
HELL was that?! I'd have no idea how to reproduce it or what I did.

That's why I like improv. It's fresh. Even a great idea will start getting stale if you keep
working on it and polishing it to death.
Quote by one vision
If it truly is "awesome", I'll never get bored of it. Kinda like Bohemian Rhapsody. I have listened to that song for about 5 years, every day of my life, and it never gets boring.

+1
my 6 best friends:
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
LTD H-207 7 string
Ibanez Acoustic
I actually don't usually get tired of my compositions. I remember sitting down and writing a solo using pretty much nothing but chord tones and a harmony to go with it, and it took me about three hours of improvising over a recording (recording the improv), and then figuring out a harmony to go over it, but it was a lot of fun to mess around with. It was just such a cool piece of music, though very basic and easy, that it was a blast.

I wound up doing around 45 takes on parts, each about a minute and a half, and though there were only three parts, I kept on improving on each bit. Finally, I didn't even have a fully harmonized song. I went in and out of harmony so much, going from chordal harmony (I think...) to just something that was done in two different octaves, to a call and response thing. It was really cool.

The point is, any idea, no matter how basic, can be fun. It's all about enthusiasm. Don't just think about your instrument, either. Think about the whole song, and what you want it to sound like as you're going. It makes things much more interesting. Say, "I want this section to be arpeggiated, or maybe this one to be major." I find that when I'm writing a song, I either get seemingly great ideas, or I get stumped on what else to do, but I don't get bored.
Got Death Magnetic a day early!

The Low-Cardinal of Zeppelinism - If you're a diehard fan of Zeppelin, join Zeppelinism here

Winner of the "Biggest Led Zeppelin Fuck" award in the CR forum (2 years running!)
It's because of "guitar fatigue" that I sit down and hum something new before touching a guitar, then pick up the guitar and play what I came up with in my head.
Quote by edg

That's why I like improv. It's fresh. Even a great idea will start getting stale if you keep
working on it and polishing it to death.

This approach really works for me as well. When I get home from work I'll grab the guitar just to vent, but I record it without thinking about it. I record EVERYTHING. After a couple months or when I feel like actually "writing" I'll go back thru and listen to what I've got and start piecing a song together.

The stuff that's crap get's deleted. The stuff that's good gets kept.

Recording with a computer you can often times cut n paste riffs from when they actually "happened" and have that magical feel still there.

Music for me is like a photograph...a moment captured in time.
I come up with a good idea then when I write a few bars, I run out so I wait a few months and the result is a pretty good composition. Problem is everything I write turns out classical thats why I'm hesitant about posting my music on Ultimate-guitar (Most people seem to like metal here).
Quote by z4twenny
no way, usually i take and record that bit that i like and listen to it a couple days later, then a couple weeks later if i can basically listen to it over a time of several months and like it everytime then it makes the cut. hell, alot of times if i find myself just jamming a riff for 45 minutes and think its awesome even at the end of that then i record it and keep it.

This. Note exactly months, but I let it sit for some time.
Quote by Johnljones7443
my neew year reslosutions are not too drikn as much lol.

happy new yeeae guyas.
I usually try to record the original idea right away, and then play stuff along with it to get a feel for it.
I used to write songs I thought were awesome, and then as I progressed i'd become almost embarraced at my old work, and scrap the ideas. Not so much anymore, anything i've written in the last 2 years for the most part im still messing around with today

I never record anything, anything i've written in the last year.. i have yet to really hear it recorded.

My old band did some studio work, that was the first time i'd really recorded anything in years.
Quote by GoldenGuitar
I come up with a good idea then when I write a few bars, I run out so I wait a few months and the result is a pretty good composition. Problem is everything I write turns out classical thats why I'm hesitant about posting my music on Ultimate-guitar (Most people seem to like metal here).

You should not care too much about what people here listen to. The most important is that you are satisfied with your piece. I like to think true musicians aint so simple minded that could not apriciate other types of music than the kind that them, personally, are listening to.

I'm into a lot of different genres, from QOTSA to Beatles. Pretty much all my songs I've posted here are pretty soft, and I find it kind of hard to write and record more heavy song on my own. I feel like you gotta have the drums and the bass too, and that could be a little out of reach when you're just sitting at home with your computer, a microphone and an acoustic guitar.

Record everything and maybe you could bring it up with your band and you could evolve it into something more (heavy if that is what you want). I like to think that my songs, that I record, are just the basic, unpolished version of it.

I used to be kind of embaressed with my songwriting at first but what I did was just to through it out there no matter what. But that takes a lot of guts and selfconfidence, and that takes time. Took for me anyway. You shouldn't be afraid to say what you want, that's one of the few rights you got left in the modern society.

Keep on rocking, Take critisism but don't take ****... if you know what I mean. :P
Last edited by frazer89 at Dec 5, 2008,