Page 1 of 2
I'd thought that there would be a thread about saxophone, but search came up with nothing.

I'm starting alto/tenor saxophone this month, and was just wondering about a few things:

1. In the first place, who here plays saxophone?

2. Alto or tenor? I like the sound of tenor better, but alto is easier to play.

3. Any advice (on anything--brand, getting private lessons, etc.) for a starting saxophone player?

And any general discussion about sax.

Thanks!
Abbreviated version:
Quote by Lots of People

Quote by :.FireStorm.:
+1 Maus24

:.FireStorm.: - #15 poster in the thread, #1 in my heart.

o _o
/###############
|###############
\###############

Member #6 of the "Shoop da Whoop" club
pm C.C. Deville to join
Can you learn on an alto and then switch to tenor? That's what I'd do. Alto is easier but tenor is sexy as hell.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

I play alto sax... I got my grade 4 about... 6/7 years ago, and since then I've just played casually, but I could probably go for grade 7 if I worked on my theory a little bit more, which I might do actually...
Some people wait a lifetime, some simply accept...

...Some of us crash land, some of us eject...

...Some restore the blood flow, some just let it go and bleed...

...Some of us obsess, some move on to something new
i havent played for about 5 years... but had been for about 2 then (started getting headaches =( )

i think i played an alto... but might have been tenor cant remember... and i dunno where it is hidden in the house.

i suggest lessons, i remember i was having one once a week (surprise surprise) and i practiced HEAPS and through that i was able to advance quickly.

was good fun... perhaps ill start playing it again... have fun!
i dont play. but my band is looking for one in our area cuz they can be great help to prog influenced bands. and really any bad in my opinion
the deeper sounding one, forgit which but thats what my brother plays
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
i play tenor
have for 6-7 years
love it
Call me Justyn

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
I play alto....There's a saxophone group though.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by darth awsome
Screw Alto and Tenor. Soprano FTW.

Coltrane pwns.

Coltrane primarily played tenor on most of his recordings.

I play sax as well, and I also play tenor.

For a starting player, play with a tuner in front of you, try to play every note on the instrument in tune. This won't be the very first thing you do, obviously, but it will help your ear and your embochure. Play the note and try to get to where it sounds in tune to you BEFORE looking at the tuner, and then look at the tuner to see what you need to adjust.

Start off with a decent mouthpiece, it will probably be easier if you start out with a mouthpiece with a narrower opening (5* or less probably), and a fairly light reed strength, probably a 2 or 2 and a half. Once you are used to playing for a little while or start to notice your notes going sharp, or just are looking for a better sound, upgrade to a wider mouthpiece and stronger reeds...probably stronger reeds first. If you upgrade at the same time, it may be hard to get a sound out of the instrument.

Also, are you going to be teaching yourself, or getting a teacher?
O.S.I.

Part of the 7-string Legion

Check out my profile
and my 7-string Ernie Ball MM JP-7 build

same fingering, different key. i own an alto, play it... a little. i know my notes, cant belt out the Bb on command, but can hit it with a 3.5 reed once im warmed up. i'd say start with a thin reed to get accustom to the fingering and your omature (sp? mouth posture/blowing technique) good, from there you can move on to thicker reeds to get nicer tones. its not too hard though, i played in 8th grade for a year, didnt pick it up for 9 years, and within a week i remebered my fingering, scales, arpeggios, cant read music too well again, but its coming back.
Quote by chris024
omature (sp? mouth posture/blowing technique)

Embouchure.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Alto Sax FTW!!!!!!!!!!!

playing just over a year now, its hard to find the time to practice regularly though.
I used to play Alto. I don't play anymore though. Wish I still did, but I traded my sax in for my guitar.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
I'm planning on playing Bari next year, but my friend is teaching me on Alto. (Yes, i know they're two different clefs. But the fingerings are the same.)
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Schecter C-7 (old 90s style headstock)
Handbuilt 6-string V
Handbuilt Baritone scale 6 string Iceman-copy
Pod HD300
I can play all of them. Except bass sax, because I've only seen it once. Just make sure you actually get decent equipment, and don't start on a super-thick reed. And I've played for 4 years, mainly on Alto.
Quote by seeneyj
I thought the whole idea of post-hardcore was to mix techno and hardcore.....
I played alto for about six years and then played tenor for a couple. I haven't played recently though and the tenor belonged to my high school so I can only play alto now.
Quote by chinese_jazz

3. Any advice (on anything--brand, getting private lessons, etc.) for a starting saxophone player?

Thanks!

1. I do.

2. Baritone/Alto

3. Yamaha's make pretty sweet saxes
Quote by IDread
You know something is wrong when you have to utter the words "I have ganja in my eye" to your mother...

Quote by RIPKurt67-94
Aliens don't exist. I live on Mars, and I can assure you that there is no life here.

I hijacked this!
Quote by 6DgOfInTb
Also, are you going to be teaching yourself, or getting a teacher?

I don't know, but I'm looking for lessons in my area right now. Ideally, I'd teach myself entirely, but I'm definitely going to get some help with embouchure and tuning and all that good stuff. After that, I'll see how it goes--I may drop lessons then.
I love alto sax

I wish i could play it, Paul Desmond has to be my favourite sax musician
I myself play trombone as my main jazz instrument, but I have a friend who is quite the talented saxophonist. She plays a tenor. I would like to learn how, I think it's a really cool instrument.
Call me Jack.
All that you love...
...you must love now.
My Gear:
PRS Custom 24
Standard MIM Tele
Larrivée LV-09E
Rivera Clubster 45 112 Combo Tube
Boss ME-20 Multi-effects pedal
Boss OC-3 Super octave pedal
My own home-made octave-up pedal
Quote by dragoo-mon
you, my good sir, tricked me into thinking about sex

.... i applaud you

You mean..."ma'am"? :P
1. I play saxophone

2. start on alto

3. get a selmer
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination
i play alto and tenor. tenor is sexier
Is your name Mike? Do you want to be everyone's friend? Do you look similar to lots of other people? If so click here

Quote by LesPaulLeader08

Fucking win S&R!
I do, 6-7 years mainly alto, a couple years on tenor
either is fine, if you learn one you can essentially play the other. Of course, there will be slight nuances that distinguish the two.
lessons are highly recommended at least for the first month or so. Make sure you get a teacher that is well qualified for teaching. There are plenty of crap sax teachers just like there are plenty of crap guitar teachers.

Most of the student model saxophone brands are about the same. There really isn't much variation in except for ergos. Yamaha, Jupiter, King, and Selmer all make fine horns. But at the student level, they don't really differentiate much. As far as student saxes go, I'd recommend the Keilwerth student model.

Professional models are a bit more subjective. Yamaha tends to make a more focused sound that works well for legit playing. Selmer in general is living of of their reputation from the 60-80's. The reference 54 is really the only model that I would personally play.
Yanagisawa also makes some nice horns, that are relatively similar to the Yamahas.
The keilwerth SX 90 is also a good horn, similar to the conn 6m but with much better ergos.

Personally, if you want to look at pro horns, I would go vintage.

Saxontheweb.net is a great resource if you want to know more information about saxophones. The crowd there is a lot more mature then the pit though. The average age is probably around their 50s.
I played all four for about 5 years. I lovelovelove playin sax, it's one of my favourite things to do. I miss my jazz band
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Alto Sax
haven't touched it in a couple of years. I doubt I could even form a proper embouchure anymore
You are now blinking manually
yeah - learnt to play tenor but prefer playing alto.

love it - buyin myself a new sax soon =)
Quote by Jack Off Jill
I used to think it was funny to hold up a sign that said "Call the Cops" when I was in the car with my parents.

Its still pretty funny, actually.
I am a sax player

I have one piece of advice... play Baritone sax it is the win.
Quote by Mattron2000
Shadowenspirit,
Developmental Tamer.
Shadowenspirit,
Ancient Sandwich Crafter

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it.

-Voltaire

So it is written.
Quote by Jango22
I'm planning on playing Bari next year, but my friend is teaching me on Alto. (Yes, i know they're two different clefs. But the fingerings are the same.)

If you are talking about the Bari sax they arn't two different clefs :/
Quote by Mattron2000
Shadowenspirit,
Developmental Tamer.
Shadowenspirit,
Ancient Sandwich Crafter

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it.

-Voltaire

So it is written.
Look out for newer American saxophones from smaller companies like LA Sax. They use a different variation of metal that can make a nice tone but is amazingly fragile, not recommended for beginners.
Page 1 of 2