16 26%
Peavey VK
10 16%
Randall
20 33%
other (specify please)
7 11%
Voters: 61.
I've been playing for several years, but I've never upgraded my line 6 spider 3 15 (yuck!). I need a versitle amp that is gig capable. My main focus is thrash and death metal. Which amp could play Nile? Which could play Cold Play? I play and basically everthing, Im in several bands, but my lack of a decent amp is stopping us from performing if a PA's not provided. If it could go good with my acoustics that would be great, but not completly nessecary.

Out of these amps, which is the best sounding? Which is the best value? What would you recommend? Can anyone name both good and bad things about any of the amps? Do you have a pedal suggestion? Will these amps need a noise gate? Do you have another amp suggestion? I don't have much money, but this is what I'm speculating that I'll spend once I save up.

These are what I've come to in my decision.
B-52
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/B52-60Watt-1x12-Tube-Combo?sku=480046
Randall
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Randall-RG50TC-50W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=481197
Peavey VK
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-ValveKing-112-Combo-Amp?sku=481442
Blackheart
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Blackheart-BH15112-Handsome-Devil-Series-15W-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp-?sku=483097
Crate v 50
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crate-V-Series-V50112-50W-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=487054

Used is cool, but I probably wont go used if I cant try out the specific amp first. But suggest away.
Last edited by mepmep at Dec 5, 2008,
cold play? out of those? youll need cleans so the v50.
Valveking CLIPS/Gear HERE
Since you said your main focus is thrash/death metal, I'd go with either the B-52 or the Randall, but I've never played the randall personally.
oh wait didnt realize you needed a thrash tone. get the b52.
Valveking CLIPS/Gear HERE
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Honestly none of those amps will do Nile to Coldplay well. Get a used Peavey Ultra or Triple... Also check out the Bugera 333's models...

I've heard that Bugeras are pretty unreliable. Is this true?

Thanks I'll check those out, the XXX looks pretty good, yet I wont be able to try it, so I probably wont end up getting that.
Quote by mepmep
I've heard that Bugeras are pretty unreliable. Is this true?

Thanks I'll check those out, the XXX looks pretty good, yet I wont be able to try it, so I probably wont end up getting that.

There hit and miss like any other budget amp... The good thing is that the miss part usually happens within the first 30 days so you can swap it out and they come with a full warranty so I wouldnt be to worried about it.

If you can get your hands on one give it a shot. Triples are tried and true man and versatile as hell. If you can get your hands on one get it...
i personally have the B 52 112, most versatile/awesome/kikass amp ive ever played
Quote by gpowsang
i personally have the B 52 112, most versatile/awesome/kikass amp ive ever played

thanks alot. Does it take pedals nicely?
Quote by gpowsang

I've heard people will MG's say the same thing.

Not saying the B-52 is on the same level as the MG, but there are better amps.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
Quote by mike.h

+1

Was thinking along those same lines... The boy needs to get out more lol
it takes pedals ok, but dont use any OD or distortion pedals, the onboard gain is more than enough to suit ur needs.
Quote by mike.h

Wow mike can you go buy your bugera already so you can stop filling up threads with stuff like this?

Seriously, b-52 makes good amps. End of story.
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
My Amps Better Than Ur Amp
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
Quote by sesstreets
Wow mike can you go buy your bugera already so you can stop filling up threads with stuff like this?

Seriously, b-52 makes good amps. End of story.

Wow.

All I said was that there ARE better amps than a B-52. Am I biased or incorrect for saying this? Seriously.

He said it's the most versatile amp ever. Are you saying that he's correct? Sounds more like you're biased than me.

I dont know about you, but I'd take a Splawn Nitro over a B-52 any day.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
The B-52 is pretty versatile, I wouldn't say as versatile as a Peavey Ultra, but I don't think you want to go used? I don't know about the cleans, but it can get pretty heavy from all the clips I've heard.My suggestion is YES, but you can do better if you go used.

The Randall can get death metal easily, but it's cleans are less than par. Maybe a speaker change or tube change would help that? Also, a guitar with not extremely high output may help...My suggestion is YES, but ask around for advice on getting better cleans

The VK is a great amp... after modifications. I've heard clips of death metal, but in my experience it cannot get it. The cleans with a speaker change (well on Veteran 30, anyway) are great, and can easily overtake the cleans of the V50 [stock]. Just for argument's sake, unless you're buying used and plan on modding, this would not be a good choice for your styles, again in my opinion. My suggestion is YES (if modding and buying used), NO (if buying new)

That Blackheart won't even touch death metal without a distortion, or extremely high output OD, pedal. 15w tube isn't exactly a whole lot of headroom for the preamp saturation death metal needs... the cleans, if it's anything like the EVJ, are excellent. My suggestion is NO

The V50 is NOT voiced for metal, at all. Yes, it can get to metallica, but so can the VK, the only difference is that the cleans are this stock are better than the VK stock. yes, the cleans on this thing stock are quite good. But, the overdrive channel is beyond muddy and when I tried it, I couldn't stand not getting a decent thrash sound out of it. My suggestion is NO

I tried to help, I really don't want to make a raucous on this thread...
I have the B-52 AT 100 Head for my halfstack and it has an amazinf sounding thrash sound from the overdrive channel and my clean channel sound really good as well. But I don't know if the sound is the same or similar to the b52 speaker you are talking about,
What about a used F-30 or F-50? If you can find one within your budget then it'll be great.
Quote by dudey5691
The B-52 is pretty versatile, I wouldn't say as versatile as a Peavey Ultra, but I don't think you want to go used? I don't know about the cleans, but it can get pretty heavy from all the clips I've heard.My suggestion is YES, but you can do better if you go used.

The Randall can get death metal easily, but it's cleans are less than par. Maybe a speaker change or tube change would help that? Also, a guitar with not extremely high output may help...My suggestion is YES, but ask around for advice on getting better cleans

The VK is a great amp... after modifications. I've heard clips of death metal, but in my experience it cannot get it. The cleans with a speaker change (well on Veteran 30, anyway) are great, and can easily overtake the cleans of the V50 [stock]. Just for argument's sake, unless you're buying used and plan on modding, this would not be a good choice for your styles, again in my opinion. My suggestion is YES (if modding and buying used), NO (if buying new)

That Blackheart won't even touch death metal without a distortion, or extremely high output OD, pedal. 15w tube isn't exactly a whole lot of headroom for the preamp saturation death metal needs... the cleans, if it's anything like the EVJ, are excellent. My suggestion is NO

The V50 is NOT voiced for metal, at all. Yes, it can get to metallica, but so can the VK, the only difference is that the cleans are this stock are better than the VK stock. yes, the cleans on this thing stock are quite good. But, the overdrive channel is beyond muddy and when I tried it, I couldn't stand not getting a decent thrash sound out of it. My suggestion is NO

I tried to help, I really don't want to make a raucous on this thread...

Excellent post it helps alot. However, death metal is not my only preference, so cleans are important. My distortion range is from Coldplay to Nile as I've said. You say that the V-50's great for cleans. If I put a Tube screamer or a Metal Muff infront of it could it do thrash and death?
What ever you do, don't get the Blackheart. I just got mine Handsome Devil up and running. It will not do what you want.

But man, it sure got that tone my valveking couldn't give me.
Quote by Sin City Sid
What ever you do, don't get the Blackheart. I just got mine Handsome Devil up and running. It will not do what you want.

But man, it sure got that tone my valveking couldn't give me.

with a metal muff and/ or a tube screamer could it give me a metal tone? I've heard it takes pedals really nicely, so I could just buy the effect pedals I'm looking for. Cause it's such an amazing clean tone, so I was wondering if with just a little stomp or 2 if it could go from coldplay to nile tone.
Idk, as don't one a muff. I'm more a pure amp tone guy. I have an old Zoom fx pedal around here. If I get time this weekend I'll see if I can bring it to a metal tone. I was able to get it close to Sabath tone with an OD and both gain and volume dime'ed and slight bit of attenuation.

I don't really know the amp limitations yet and the speaker is not even close to being broken in.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
also check with Slash_Rocks2005 - he's pretty outspoken on this topic

*no offense Slashrocks - that was compliment*

Which topic? I'm not following you here? Is it a used vs new issue? A amp tone vs pedal tone issue? A versitile vs elite issue? A modding issue? Help me out please.
He has a Blackheart that's all and he knows pedals fairly well especially OD pedals. He might be be able to help you figure out the 'metal' part.

So in other words, I was trying to help in regards to your last post before mine. Sorry if that was confusing. Cool avatar too....I think. Kinda freaky too.
Well as promised. I tossed my old Zoom 1010 pedal in front of it for a few minutes(don't laugh, it was the **** in 94). I ran it through the default presets. The heavy stuff sounded pretty good. Also this was attenuated down about 10db and the amp at 8 - 10 at volume and drive(or gain) at about 3 in the 15w setting. I'm running through the BH112 cab(speaker at about 5 or less hours).

Also I screwed around with my Jackhammer(ya, I know another **** pedal) and left it in OD mode with the gain turn all the way down and volume all the way up(I stole this from the valveking bros, see sig) and it sounded big.

Doubt this amp will do your heart attach stuff.

Don't laugh, if I had to play all that I would just grab my Peavey SS Bandit(non transtube) and a **** load of pedals. That thing took pedals so well. Not great with anything, but good with all(with speaker change).
Quote by Sin City Sid
Well as promised. I tossed my old Zoom 1010 pedal in front of it for a few minutes(don't laugh, it was the **** in 94). I ran it through the default presets. The heavy stuff sounded pretty good. Also this was attenuated down about 10db and the amp at 8 - 10 at volume and drive(or gain) at about 3 in the 15w setting. I'm running through the BH112 cab(speaker at about 5 or less hours).

Also I screwed around with my Jackhammer(ya, I know another **** pedal) and left it in OD mode with the gain turn all the way down and volume all the way up(I stole this from the valveking bros, see sig) and it sounded big.

Doubt this amp will do your heart attach stuff.

Don't laugh, if I had to play all that I would just grab my Peavey SS Bandit(non transtube) and a **** load of pedals. That thing took pedals so well. Not great with anything, but good with all(with speaker change).

thanks for doing that for me. does the zoom have OD or dist? Which would you recommend in my situation?
About the Peavey Bandit, one of the things I might do is have an awsome sounding clean amp with a bunch of pedals. Thats Why I'm thinking the Blackheart or the V50.

But thanks alot for the advice and for playing with the zoom for me.
Randall...or you should def. look into the Peavey XXX 112 combo...its getting harder to find, but they are gems of amps...trust me....they go for around 400-600 used.
I have the B-52, and I get a PERFECT thrash tone out of it. I was looking at the VK and the RG50TC too, but chose the B-52.
Quote by mike.h

This is kind of a pointless reply. I've heard people talk about every single amp in exstence, but there are tons and thousands of different amps out there. Not meaning to be a dick, but atleast tell the dude something about the amp. People who own amps that threads are made for usually like the amps they have, thanks for clearing this up for us. Next time a thread about a VK comes up, make sure to post that some people like ythem, but some people like an MG too. That should really be productive.

Sorry, just in a pissy mood today. Take no offense.
solid state power amps are great for metal

so b-52
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."