Im sure you all know how the bridge bends on a strat when you use the trem...

Is the back of the bridge suppost to sit flat on the body at all times?

Im afraid the bridge of the american strat has been bent or something because it seems to be sitting up off the body.

Thanks
You could try tightening your trem springs to bring it back down so its parallel with the body.
I don't believe in signatures. Ah, sh...
it doesn't HAVE to lye completely flat on the body. it is "bent" or floating as it's called. that way you can pull up on the whammy bar to raise the pitch. if you want it completely flat on the body just add more springs in the back
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you even more now. Slightly homo
If you change from a light/medium gauge to a heavy gauge but still retain the same tuning, the tension on the trem-springs are higher, and the bridge will not be flush with the body. Try tightening the springs.
Electrics:ˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑAmps:
Jackson DKMGFFˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑRandall RG100SC G2
Washburn DIME 333ˑˑˑˑˑˑˑRandall RH200X / RA412 2x Half-Stacks
ESP LTD EC-1000 STCB
Dean From Hell CFH
Quote by SomebodySomeone
it doesn't HAVE to lye completely flat on the body. it is "bent" or floating as it's called. that way you can pull up on the whammy bar to raise the pitch. if you want it completely flat on the body just add more springs in the back
Using a traditional strat-trem as a floating bridge is not a good choice. It's notoriously unstable, as it is not mean to be used as a floating trem.
ESP LTD EC-1000 STCB
Dean From Hell CFH
Quote by SinnaSatan
Using a traditional strat-trem as a floating bridge is not a good choice. It's notoriously unstable, as it is not mean to be used as a floating trem.

yeah but usually it's setup to float just a tiny bit. i didn't mean full style floyd rose floating
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
i one a highway one HSS Strat, mine has a fender tremolo, it is a floating bridge. A floating bridge means you can dive on the bar or you can reverse dive. If you have the highway one then it should be slightly off the guitar. Also don't mess wit a trem brige unless you know what your doing, even if you have a 2 point trem, because u can tighten the screws unevenly or at the wrong tension, it will be very out of tune.
Quote by SomebodySomeone
yeah but usually it's setup to float just a tiny bit. i didn't mean full style floyd rose floating
I remember when I just got my first guitar, a squier, and I didn't know squat about them, I saw all these guys in the videoes always pulled up on their trems and I thought "Hmm, I wonder if mine can do that"; so I loosened (sp?) the trem-springs and tightend the strings and voila: I had my very own floating strat-trem. Talk about unstable. I usually had to tune it inbetween songs if I ever used it.
ESP LTD EC-1000 STCB
Dean From Hell CFH
if you want to lube contact points and balance a MIA strat trem, that's fine,

my mia is a little raised (balanced)

my mex strat is flush against the body.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by SinnaSatan
I remember when I just got my first guitar, a squier, and I didn't know squat about them, I saw all these guys in the videoes always pulled up on their trems and I thought "Hmm, I wonder if mine can do that"; so I loosened (sp?) the trem-springs and tightend the strings and voila: I had my very own floating strat-trem. Talk about unstable. I usually had to tune it inbetween songs if I ever used it.

yeah when i had my starter pack strat i had the same problem. i just put on 5 really heavy springs to keep the bridge flat on the body. despite the fact that i thought i would enjoy doing crazy tremolo sounds, i don't . come to think of it, i just might sell my RG1570 or at least block the trem since i never use it.
Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
The trem on my American Strat is floating, and I play a few hours everyday and actually use the trem, and it never has any tuning problems. I usually only tune it every 2 or 3 days. I have 1 with locking tuners though so that might add to the stability.

Last night I tuned my guitar to C and my trem wasn't floating, and I noticed the sustain was a lot longer. I tried it out in regular tuning and it had much better sustain when it wasn't tuning. Keep in mind that you won't get too far pulling a strat trem up. Better sustain is better than being able to pull up a half step IMO
Last edited by JELIFISH19 at Dec 4, 2008,