Page 1 of 4
I've noticed A LOT of misconception as to what the actual Confederat Flag is. Let me clear this up.

NOT CONFEDERATE FLAG:

This is the battle flag of Northern Virginia.

THIS IS THE CONFEDERATE FLAG:

*Puts up flame shield against ignorant people who think these flags stand for slavery*
In school, they told me, "Practice makes perfect". Then they said, "Nobody's perfect", so I quit practicing.
Yes I know. Move along now.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
The Redneck in me is crying because of your infinite moose-shooting racially and sexually intolerant wisdom.
Dear diary.

Today I stuffed some dolls full of dead rats I put in the blender.

I'm wondering if, maybe, there really is something wrong with me.
Erm, don't they stand for slavery? Weren't they invented because a bunch of white dudes didn't want to do their own labor or pay full price for another white dude to do it?
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Quote by Trefellin
They had bitchloads of different flags, didn't they?

Yes, one of which was the first flag in TS's post.

EDIT: Not to Trefellin, to TS
Last edited by NoBC14 at Dec 4, 2008,
Quote by Garou1911
Erm, don't they stand for slavery? Weren't they invented because a bunch of white dudes didn't want to do their own labor or pay full price for another white dude to do it?

Neither the South OR the North wanted slavery abolished. Because if they did, what would they do with all the former slaves? Neither wanted to deal with that. The war was over the EXPANSION of slavery into the west, expecially after the California Gold Rush.
In school, they told me, "Practice makes perfect". Then they said, "Nobody's perfect", so I quit practicing.
http://images.google.com/images?client=safari&rls=en-us&q=confederate%20flag&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&um=1&sa=N&tab=wi

Observe. You my friend, are not quite as reliable a source as approximately 40000 different websites.
Fight the machine.

Quote by slaveofsatan
She lives in the next town!

You must ride your family cow over there and make sweet small town love. Then make sure she isn't the town bicycle.

Ressort (Click to Help Ressort!)
Quote by Spanky McGrits
Neither the South OR the North wanted slavery abolished. Because if they did, what would they do with all the former slaves? Neither wanted to deal with that. The war was over the EXPANSION of slavery into the west, expecially after the California Gold Rush.

Yeah, but it eventually came down to slavery or no. Plus, wasn't that whole deal that the southerners wanted slavery everywhere but the federal government didn't?

Besides, the inital connotation has changed. Thanks to a few hundred years of guys in sheets waving said flags, that's what they mean now.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
So your trying to tell me that the Confederate Flag is actually the battle flag of North Virginia, even though they were part of the Union?

You sir, are an idiot.

Oh, and it does stand for slavery. This "Southern Pride" bullsh*t is just that, bullsh*t. What are you proud of? Having outrageous accents and huge amounts of racism and biggotry? Receding from the USA because you were too lazy to actually fairly pay people for labor?

Yeah, that's a whole lot to be proud of.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
I stick stuff in my pee hole.

Gear:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez S670PB
Stratocaster MIM Standard
Marshall MG30 (its purple )
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Quote by Spanky McGrits

Not just that but the power of the federal government over states rights on a multitude of issues.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
The first flag is known as "The Battle Flag of the Confederacy"... not confederate at all, eh? And the second one was only the first in a line of confederate flags... that one lasted a whole 2 years.

Either way, southerners need to shut up about the war that they lost a century and a half ago, seriously its not like northerners gloat about winning and wear around Union flag T-shirts, it just doesn't happen.

I know that the war wasn't just over slavery... it doesn't matter. It already happen and the results already came out. People need to stop preaching rivalry to the next generation
Quote by spazzymagee417
i would pay more for a midget corpse than an average size corpse
Last edited by Tedrick at Dec 4, 2008,
Quote by Wulphy
So your trying to tell me that the Confederate Flag is actually the battle flag of North Virginia, even though they were part of the Union?

You sir, are an idiot.

Oh, and it does stand for slavery. This "Southern Pride" bullsh*t is just that, bullsh*t. What are you proud of? Having outrageous accents and huge amounts of racism and biggotry? Receding from the USA because you were too lazy to actually fairly pay people for labor?

Yeah, that's a whole lot to be proud of.

There is no "North Virginia" Careful where you are flinging the term "idiot" around. They are your brethren.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by Jackal58
There is no "North Virginia" Careful where you are flinging the term "idiot" around. They are your brethren.

No sh*t.

He said North Virginia in his first post. I was playing on that. You need to put new batteries in your sarcasm detector.
Quote by Ur all $h1t

Gear:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez S670PB
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
You know what I hate? When people tell me the war is over. They act like it aint a bein fought anymore. Well by god let me tell yunz, it sure as hell aint over. South aint a gonna rise again because south aint fell yet! Can I get a hell yeah or an amen! Well by god I'll even take both of em if yunz are a feeling frisky enough!

I kid I kid.
Quote by Spanky McGrits
Wikipedia doesn't mean anything. Any yahoo can write whatever they want on there.

Yes, this is why it was proven more accurate than the Encyclopedia Britannica

Quote by Titansfan920
You know what I hate? When people tell me the war is over. They act like it aint a bein fought anymore. Well by god let me tell yunz, it sure as hell aint over. South aint a gonna rise again because south aint fell yet! Can I get a hell yeah or an amen! Well by god I'll even take both of em if yunz are a feeling frisky enough!

I kid I kid.

I know that you're kidding, but there's actually people like this
Quote by spazzymagee417
i would pay more for a midget corpse than an average size corpse
Quote by Garou1911
Yeah, but it eventually came down to slavery or no. Plus, wasn't that whole deal that the southerners wanted slavery everywhere but the federal government didn't?

Besides, the inital connotation has changed. Thanks to a few hundred years of guys in sheets waving said flags, that's what they mean now.

No what it came down to what if the Confederacy was going to survive or not. The U.S.'s goal was to preserve the Union. The Confederacy's goal was to achieve independence. Not any middle ground there.

Also, three slave states joined the Union's fight against the South. The Emancipation Proclamation affected none of them.
Quote by Titansfan920
You know what I hate? When people tell me the war is over. They act like it aint a bein fought anymore. Well by god let me tell ya'll, it sure as hell aint over. South aint a gonna rise again because south aint fell yet! Can I get a hell yeah or an amen! Well by god I'll even take both of em if ya'll are a feeling frisky enough!

I kid I kid.

Fix'd
F.Y.I - "yuns" is part of a northern dialect, "ya'll" is the southern form of the same thing.
Quote by NoBC14
Fix'd
F.Y.I - "yuns" is part of a northern dialect, "ya'll" is the southern form of the same thing.

I hear "yens" and "ya'll" most frequently.
Quote by iholmesz
I hear "yens" and "ya'll" most frequently.

Where do you live?

I'm from Pennsylvania but I live in NC now. Everyone in NC says "ya'll" (except for the ones that are from the north) and when I go up north to visit I hear "yuns"
Weird, I guess it just depends on where you are. I know all of my "redneck" friends make fun of me and call me a yankee when I say "yuns"
Quote by Wulphy
No sh*t.

He said North Virginia in his first post. I was playing on that. You need to put new batteries in your sarcasm detector.

No he said the battle flag of "Northern Virginia" He should have added the "Army of" to that.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Army_of_Northern_Virginia

Edit: I'm a "yens" person. SW Pa.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Ok, let me put it this way: I am an interpreter at Arkansas Post National Memorial. National Parks are ran by the UNITED STATES DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIOR. We have 6 flags flying there: 1) Burbon France (1600's), 2) Spain, 3) Napoleonic France, 4) Stars and Stripes (U.S.), 5) Confederate Flag (Second Picture in original post), and 6) the current United States Flag.

If the "Rebel Flag", were the flag of the Confederacy, then we would be flying it. But the truth is, most soldiers fighting in the Civil War never even SAW what most people think of as the Confederate Flag.
Quote by Spanky McGrits
Ok, let me put it this way: I am an interpreter at Arkansas Post National Memorial. National Parks are ran by the UNITED STATES DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIOR. We have 6 flags flying there: 1) Burbon France (1600's), 2) Spain, 3) Napoleonic France, 4) Stars and Stripes (U.S.), 5) Confederate Flag (Second Picture in original post), and 6) the current United States Flag.

If the "Rebel Flag", were the flag of the Confederacy, then we would be flying it. But the truth is, most soldiers fighting in the Civil War never even SAW what most people think of as the Confederate Flag.

...and?

Regardless of what your saying, flying that flag is stupid. Enough with this "Southern Pride" stuff, no one cares. Grats, you stood up to the North, even though we were right. We won the war, get over it.
Quote by Ur all $h1t

Gear:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez S670PB
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Quote by Spanky McGrits

Just because not all of the soldiers saw it does not mean that it was not a flag of the confederacy, as you can see in the 5 sources I already linked. There are countless other sources, just google it.
Quote by Spanky McGrits
Once again, wiki......

Was just referring him to a term I think he was unfamiliar with. That you felt the need to
post again right after me. You must be more reliable than Wiki.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Finally. I don't like it when people think that the confederate flag means rascism. I personaly don't have a confederate flag or wave one about, but I do understand that the reason why people have them usually is because they are saying they support the CSA's attempt to make a become a confederacy and rule themselves seperatly, state by state. I know tons of people who think that the south was all about slavery and the whole civil war was only about stopping slavery, when actually the only reason why the USA invaded the CSA was to preserve the union. It wasn't until two years after the civil war started that Abrahama Lincoln wrote the Imancipation Proclamation. So clearly the war was based on land territory and union, not slavery and rasiscm. When I think about it, the CSA in a way made a valid point. Our country was founded on small government, and the CSA thought that our country was failing to do that so they tried to seperate themselve from the rest of the country. I'm not saying I think Abraham Lincoln was an idiot or anything. I'm just saying that I can understand why one might have this flag.
lol @ anyone who says the civil war wasnt over slavery. it was over a lot of things, but i'd say slavery was the most pressing issue. without it the southern state's economy would have been nothing, so they fought for it. fly whatever flag you want but dont complain when people think negatively of you.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
lmao XxGloriousxX is a genius

Quote by Pinky19
You guys fail. Except for you Glorious. You win.

Once again.
Quote by Guitarfreak777
I would shoot them to death yes, but trying to aim for non-leathal, hoping they live.

which one is it Guitarfreak777?
Quote by NoBC14
Where do you live?

I'm from Pennsylvania but I live in NC now. Everyone in NC says "ya'll" (except for the ones that are from the north) and when I go up north to visit I hear "yuns"

I currently live in Morgantown, WV. I've lived in/near Ohio also - maybe that's where I've heard yens??
Regardless of which flag represents historical accuracy, the term "confederate flag" has come to mean any flag that closely resembles the "battle flag of Northern Virginia" in the TS's post. Flags of that type have come to symbolize, among other things, racism whether that is the intent or not. People should have the presence of mind to realize that's what they are presenting when they don or display the flag. You can't just deny something history has permanently attached to an item or ideal..
All I'm saying is that what people think was the Confederate Flag IS NOT. Ask any history professor what the official Confederate Flag was, and they will point you to the second one in my original post. I'm not promoting slavery or anything like that. And just because you see it on the internet doesn't mean it's true. God, people, read a book.

Also : There were so many flags flown by Confederate Forces in the Civil War that Union Generals would ask their officers: "Are those United States flags?" instead of "What flags are those?". There was no way of keeping up with them.

Another common misconception: The song "Dixie" is connected to racism. NO! Dixie was written by 2 black people and is in no way racist. Union forces played the song while marching into battle. When news reached Abraham Lincoln that the war was over, he asked the band to play "Dixie".
Last edited by Spanky McGrits at Dec 4, 2008,
Quote by Spanky McGrits
All I'm saying is that what people think was the Confederate Flag IS NOT. Ask any history professor what the official Confederate Flag was, and they will point you to the second one in my original post.

This is false. A good history professor will tell you that there were multiple flags, one of them being the first flag in your post.
Page 1 of 4