SOOO, I'm in the amp market. Right now, it looks as though my setup as of next year will be:

Rickenbacker 4003 >>>>
>>Sunn 300T / Ampeg 2x15
>>Peavey Mark III / Ampeg 8x10

I will be AB'ing the Rick into the two amps and/or using the stereo output to send...
NECK PUP >> Sunn 300T
BRIDGE PUP >> Peavey MKIII

Anything I should change? This rig has to last me the next four years and I'd rather not be forced to make any changes if possible. I'm going on a used gear hunt sometime this week, starting with the Peavey.

The rig will be used for my doom metal project. Basically, my only requirement is VOLUME. LOTS of VOLUME. I need a rig that will be painfully loud and low end heavy. I will be focusing on the sub-bass frequencies, and need the gear to replicate that.

Input appreciated!

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
Sounds like a pretty good setup. You might want to add a better pedal idk its up to you
Epiphone Les Paul Ultra II(
"Epicaster" pimped out strat
Fender Blues Jr.
DeltaLab RD1 Rock distortion
Barber handmade USA Direct Drive Overdrive
DeltaLab Stereo chorus
MXR 6 band EQ
I don't have any pedals in the rig though LOLWUT?

I might add my Big Muff to the rig if the distortion on the Sunn / Peavey doesn't make a big enough wall of sound....

Keep the cabs and the Sunn, but I'd look for something to replace the Peavey head....

The thing is, all of those sub-low frequencies really don't work when playing live. They just kind of take up sonic space and make things muddy. All of the crazy "kick you in the chest and mince your organs" frequencies are really in the lower midrange, which the Ampeg 8x10 is really good at producing. I would run the Sunn to the Ampeg 8x10 and 2x15 with a 2-ohm load, and call it a day and not mess with the Rick's dual outputs. If you really wanted another head, I would track down an Ampeg V4B and run it to the 2x15, and the Sunn to the 8x10.
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
Last edited by mountaindew88 at Dec 4, 2008,
Thankee kind sir! Or if I really like the Sunn, I could just grab a cheap-o power amp to power the other cab. the 8x10 doesn't like the 2 ohm load so I've heard. Its better to AB it.

I've run 8x10s in pairs before and they never gave me any trouble, and they sounded great. I imagine running it with the 2x15 should be just fine. But either way, stick with the Sunn and dodge the Peavey.
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
Maybe you should consider a 1x18 cab? or the el whappo grande 1x21 cab to handle the sub bass frequencies?
Just to give you something to look into.

Love the Low end
I really think the charm of dual stacks will run out shortly after your third gig.

I have a bonkers solution.

I know it's a different system altogether, but I'd get an SWR head, be it the SM-900 or SM-1500. Why? SHUT UP!

Anyway, with those heads, you can use BOTH inputs at once. Yeah, they have different relative volumes, but here's what to do:

Run one pickup through an effects loop. Put that in the active input and boost the volume at some point in the chain. Run the other pickup clean through the passive input. Match the volumes, and use the amp's gain to control the overall level of both.

Also, SWR amps have 2 power amps, and allow you to control the volume of the cabs hooked up to each power amp independantly. Therefore you can hook your 810 (may I recommend 212) to one power amp and a sub of some sort to the other. The control the volumes of each cabinet relative to eachother.

These amps also have individual effects loops for each power amp, so you can stick preamps in the effects loops if for some ungodly reason you don't like the SWR. You can also route your effects that way too.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
You have a GK 1001 RB and a Avatar B212 Neo and you want to change your rig - why?! Oh yeah, I wouldn't get a 8x10 or 2x15 unless you enjoy carrying people up stairs etc. It'll break your back.
You can't comment on gear until you have tried it!
lol... "doom metal" = loud. GK, Avatar, and SWR are not doom rigs. They aren't tubes and they don't fuzz up quite like the Sunn's and old Peaveys do... The bigger the rig, the better the sound. 80% of the volume will be coming off the stage back line, rather than from the house. Need to save headroom for vocals.

<333333 I LOVE YOU ALL THANKS FOR SUGGESTIONS!

I think the SWR SM-1500 is whatever the hell you want it to be. 1500 isn't a serial number - that's wattage!

But in any case, the 300T, now called the Fender Bassman 300, is a great tube head with a lot of flexibility and a really low price. And like MD88 said - the Ampeg 810 is probably exactly what you're looking for. The only thing I think it does well is volume. If tearing faces is what you're in for, then go for it. But again, I still say the SM-1500 can out-loud anything, and full-range is good too.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
And at this point, the Mesa Big Block Titan V12 also has my recommendation... I'm not a huge distortion/fuzz fan, but this amp has the best overdrive I've ever heard! It just came in yesterday and I can't stop playing it!

I'd be curious to see how it stands up to the SM-1500 volume-wise! It's stupid-loud, my 2x15 seems to be in pain when I only turn it up to 3 or 4
It's funny, now that I realized I only need a normal Speakon cable to run my SWR mono-bridge, I'm really looking for new cabs myself. 4 ohm's worth anyway, 2 8 ohm cabs. If and when I sell my cabs, I plan on starting out with a RoadReady 212 and complimenting it with a Big Ben when I get the scratch.

The Nemesis cab I own sounds good, but the non-adjustable tweeter is REALLY pissing me off, and 3.5kHz is just too low for a tweeter crossover. Dudes - the Rocco Prestia 810 has a crossover at 2.5kHz! That's stupid!

The Peavey cab actually sounds massive, but the speaker just isn't strong enough. When I hit a low B to low D with the volume at about half (stage volume), the cab goes PLBRLBLRLBRB and farts out air. This won't do. I love my tone but these cabinets' quirks are getting annoying.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
mountain dew did you just post that V12 over on TB cause it looks exactly like the one i just saw.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Yep When you're this pumped, you have every right to show it off!
I quite like the idea of the Forge AXB- Triamped sound using a single head/cab or a combo. The cobo is 1200 watts, with 600 watts (sub), 400 watts (bass) and 200 watts (highs) going to a 115/210/25 speaker section. The head/cab version comes in at 2100 watts with 1000/800/300 watts to a cab with 118/410/35.

Get yourself two of the combos and you'll be sorted
Cause i have no idea what you just said delirium but am very interested in this post as for me the amp is the main part of my tone. What do you guys think of a 2x15 in one stack and then a second 15 but with a 4x10 on top for a second stack. Im not going to do this i just like 15's. Would be a good idea in the future.
Also that v12 is sweet, im seeing two channels, can you use them both at once or do you use them seperatly.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
I just got it yesterday, but I'm pretty sure you can only use one channel at a time. I've set one clean and one distorted, and it's good to go!