Recently I've come to a terrible realization.

I own a Line 6 bass amp.

I've decided to sell it to buy a Hartke 410XL cab. But what good is a cab without a kickass awesome bass amp? So while I've been doing my research, I've come across a couple possible heads. Here's what I'm looking for:

-About 200 to 300 watts at 8ohms
-About $500, willing to go used
-Clean punchy tones
-Versitility

I've been considering the following amps:

Hartke H3500A

Hartke LH500

Gallien Krueger 700RB II

The people on these forums generally have way more experience than me. Does anyone here have any experience with these amps? Could anyone recommend superior amps? If it helps, I play in punk and ska bands live.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
It's going to happen sooner or later, so I'll just be the first one to suggest you look at Carvin.
Slap a bass, not a ho.
Ashdown is supposed to be very solid for punk. I would assume it would also sound pretty sweet for some ska too.

not sure which model you'd be after though.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
i highly reccomend the Gk 700RB II. i have it and i can get a great sound for any genre on that amp. its also incredibly punchy and you can hear every note distinctfully if your eq settings are right..
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
For everyone just suggesting brands, could you mention specific heads and back it up a bit?
usually the people that just name brands don't know anything about amps and theyre just telling you to buy a well known name. such as the guy who reccomended you buy an ampeg head. i dislike ampeg's heads in your price range. they dont get good in my opinion until the $1000 mark. you'd be better of getting an amp that is better for the price such as the GK 700.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
I just brought up the 700RB-II on musiciansfriend.com, and the first 2 reviews said it breaks. Should I be worried?
i've had mine for a year and it is still working in perfect condition. it seems extremely sturdy to me and seems like it could take a beating.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
I'm personally a fan of my own GK amp. It's not as high-end as the RB, but the one I have is good.
Quote by gourd42
i was going to insult thedude97, BUT HIS AVATAR SHOWS MORDOR!
Quote by telecastrmastr
if this goes in someones signature im gunna be pissed

Quote by jimithrash
what do you mean by goat
Remember. If you get a 4x10 cab at 8ohms, and GK RB700 is 4Ohms........So, the power of the head will be around 70% of what the maximum output is.

Now, that would be fine, it is quite a powerful amp and cab together anyway......but, if you buy another cab at 8Ohms, it will mean you have 100% of your power.

Just remember.......8Ohms + 8Ohms = 4Ohms (Don't ask why)

I would get a GK rig. RB700 head + 4x10 cab (Not sure what model the GK cabs are) Then when you start gigging or need more power, buy a 1x15 to go on the bottom and you have a full gigging rig ready to do most things you come across.
Quote by IndianRockStar
The bass SHOULD cover the bottom end at the very least.

70's MOD Jazz->
BOSS LMB-3->
Hartke HA3500->
GENZ-BENZ NEOx 2x12->
Hartke LH500 - blows every other head here (bar the GK) out the water.
You can't comment on gear until you have tried it!
Carvin BX600. 225W at 8-ohms, 400 at 4, and 600 at 2. Has an amazingly versatile preamp and and great features.
https://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=BX600

There's also a 1200W version that's basically the same amp with another power section...$539 right now. Can be bridged to 800W @ 4-ohms, or run at 225W like the BX600.
https://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=BX1200
Nope, no sig here.
Quote by pandathe3
Remember. If you get a 4x10 cab at 8ohms, and GK RB700 is 4Ohms........So, the power of the head will be around 70% of what the maximum output is.

Now, that would be fine, it is quite a powerful amp and cab together anyway......but, if you buy another cab at 8Ohms, it will mean you have 100% of your power.

Just remember.......8Ohms + 8Ohms = 4Ohms (Don't ask why)

I would get a GK rig. RB700 head + 4x10 cab (Not sure what model the GK cabs are) Then when you start gigging or need more power, buy a 1x15 to go on the bottom and you have a full gigging rig ready to do most things you come across.

What cab would you recommend?

Does anyone have any cab reccomendations?
i use the gallien krueger 410sbx. i rccomend sticking with gallien krueger unless you're really set on another cab because of the Bi-amp feature. The GK SBX are discontinued but im sure you can find one on ebay or your local store might have one. If not you can go more expensive and take a look at the RBH series but i really wouldnt go below the SBX series with that head. Anyway you go i suggest getting a cabinet with 4 10 inch speakers first then if you want to add onto it get another cabinet with 1 15 inch speaker.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
Quote by funkbass369
i use the gallien krueger 410sbx. i rccomend sticking with gallien krueger unless you're really set on another cab because of the Bi-amp feature. The GK SBX are discontinued but im sure you can find one on ebay or your local store might have one. If not you can go more expensive and take a look at the RBH series but i really wouldnt go below the SBX series with that head. Anyway you go i suggest getting a cabinet with 4 10 inch speakers first then if you want to add onto it get another cabinet with 1 15 inch speaker.

Could you explain what the Bi-amp feature is and what it does to the sound?
Quote by funkbass369

I came across a very good deal on the Hartke 410xl, so I think i'm going to purchase that. The GK cabs were around $900, which is too much.