Page 1 of 2
And where do you think your guitar playing is at? I know its asked a lot but once more!
LOL
4 years. i learn at an average pace. i can play basically all radio rock, some classic rock and a little blues. i am passionate about metal but can't play anything i hear but i can play a fair assortment. i know a few scales relatively well, dont know chords, use tabs and only started lessons this yr to help me understand lead playing. i know understand pentatonics and am still getting down major and minor scales and uses. im also learning sweeping where i can do 3 strings pretty well and am workin my way up.
"every prince has to slay a few dragons before he meets his princess"
8 years

Edit: I should probably mention how much I think my guitar playing has progressed. Well I can play pretty much anything I put the effort into, I can BS my way through a solo I don't know, I don't know solid theory but I know chord names and how to formulate chords and whatnot. I know most scales, I've recently been working on 6 string sweeping with tapping and switching chord shapes. I could go on but I'm pretty tired...
Quote by ravioli123
James, a type of sandwich:

A sandwich that consists of ham, turkey, roast beef, shredded cheese, nacho cheese doritos, and ranch on a toasted bun.
"Hey man lets go get a couple James's for lunch"
Last edited by ravioli123 at Dec 4, 2008,
2 3/4 (wrong fraction!)
im working on sweeping and classical scales
basically, i pretty much have been learning on all of Dave's parts on Rust In Peace, and im starting in on marty's
Quote by bass-boy-garith
Quote by guitarhero_764
I guess I'm kind of like a hippie. I'm anti-war, do drugs, and like communism.
Your not a hippie, just a ****ing moron.
5 1/2 years.

I think I am getting places. I can play what I want, still can't play Hendrix though, but I write well with chord progs and little licks. I have been playing bass for two years and I think I am a much more impressive bassist. Mostly cause I take stuff I learn on guitar and apply alot of it to bass. I also know some music theory, not as much as jazz players cause they know a hell alot, but I know basic theory. I think I improv well, better than a couple of my friends.
Gear:1991 Fender MIJ Jazz/Squier VM Fretless Jazz -> Pitchblack -> Way Huge Green Rhino -> Boss OC-2 -> Boss DD-7 -> Markbass Tube 800 -> SWR 4x12.

Flat wounds. Flat wounds on everything. Everything is a little fatter when it's flatter.
Quote by jordanzio
4 years. i learn at an average pace. i can play basically all radio rock, some classic rock and a little blues. i am passionate about metal but can't play anything i hear but i can play a fair assortment. i know a few scales relatively well, dont know chords, use tabs and only started lessons this yr to help me understand lead playing. i know understand pentatonics and am still getting down major and minor scales and uses. im also learning sweeping where i can do 3 strings pretty well and am workin my way up.

lessons help soooooo much its unbelievable
you are going to be better than kirk hammet by june
Quote by bass-boy-garith
Quote by guitarhero_764
I guess I'm kind of like a hippie. I'm anti-war, do drugs, and like communism.
Your not a hippie, just a ****ing moron.
Almost 5 years playing, but only about two have been guitar. I started out playing bass and then picked up a guitar and started to play that too. I'm doing alright, although I don't know very much because I just taught myself through tabs and stuff, but I know a few scales, and am working on being able to play more lead stuff.
Quote by MichaelOfCanton
a kazoo will rock some ass for like 85 cents.

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Krik harmret cuz he can prey der gertur wit te wurr wurr pedar!!

http://www.myspace.com/caledonia
3 years of playing metal.

i have progressed really well, im playing Necrophagist now so im pretty pleased.
Guitars-LEFTY
Bernie Rico Jr. Custom Jekyll
Schecter ATX
Schecter Tempest Cust.
Ibanez GIO
Amps
Laney VH100R-Sell/Trade?? pm me
Cube 15
Misc.
THD HOT plate Attentuator and other stuff
I've been playing for about 2 years now, and a few of the things I've accomplished are:

- I can play power chords! Yar! Not really an accomplishment....
- I can play some open chords, as well as bar chords, I don't know a lot of them though.
- I can finger tap with 3 fingers on my left, I just can't get used to using that pinky so that it actually sounds good, instead of a note stupidly thrown in there.
- I can sweep on 3 strings pretty fluently, 4 I struggle with a little, and 5-6 I can't do it to save my life
- I know some scales very well, and built up decent speed to go up and down them.
- I can do pinch and natural harmonics at relative ease.
- I can "note chug" on open palm muted low E.
- I can tremelo pick pretty fast and consistantly.

I personaly feel I've accomplished a lot in my time so far, but I also feel I have much, much, much more to improve on.
Coming up to 5 years now.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.
6 and 1/2 years. i play everything, but love metal. good friend of mine and i always play and hes like naturally amazingly gifted, so he teaches me advanced stuff, but were both pretty advanced, cause we practice so much. we know sweeping and alternate picking runs and yadda yadda. over time everyone will improve there's no end limit, but i feel comfortable where i am now at learning other bands songs, just need to work on improvising and writing my own stuff without sounding just like my idols
Last edited by warfalcon53 at Dec 4, 2008,
6 years - and feel I learn alot more the more I play.. (not in total but each year I seem to learn or progress more then I did the year before)
A little over 1n year. I caught on really quick.Enough to where I can play rythem to about any bluegrass song and lead to a few. But this is the electric guitar thread. I'm able to play a few AC/DC,Tom Petty,ZZ top,GNR, Metallica,Ted Nugent, and Bon Jovi songs. Today I figured out Shoot to thrill By AC/DC I was quite proud of myself. I don't know any theory. I know one scale. I havent had any formal lessons. I'm still a long way from not being a noob.
almost a year now. (was a drummer and piano player previously, both for yrs)

pushed my technique way too far way too many times trying to learn advanced stuff really early on, and had to relearn alot of things and really focus on my technique to rid of bad habits (anchoring, thumb over, incorrect seating posture, incorrect fretting hand posture, and about 3 completely diff ways of picking).

still concentrating on 6 strings sweeps and alternate picking and economy picking - i don't think i can sit on one side of the fence, as both both have their uses.

can improvise some basic stuff, know my pentatonic shapes, natural minor and major scales, some arpeggios used for sweeping etc and been practicing chromatic runs to help with picking lately.

know a bit of theory just need to tie it altogether properly.

It's funny, I improve at a number of things all at once cos the things I practice force me to get my technique right or they sound mega-sloppy... but it has been hard, hard goin (really satisfying and enjoyable though) and I bet it will be another year at least before i feel confident in my playing.

styles - all the usual suspects : mainly a7x, bfmv, gnr, megadeth, metallica, ozzy, trivium, plus a bit of lynyrd, van halen, zeppelin, acdc and other misc stuff that was big before i was born.
2 this Christmas
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
Five, though only three actively.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Two year next January...
I can play many things but never a complete song :p
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

3 years and 4 months.

I can do:

-Multi string tapping, my specialty
-Open chords and barre chords, 7th chords and some diminished chords
-scale runs pretty fluently
-tremolo pick very well
-decent legato speed and precision
-Legato to tap
-alternate pick...fluently for the most part, still a bit sloppy though
-know all 12 keys
-know how to harmonize in 3rds, 5ths and octaves
-play in different time signatures fluently

I think I've progressed pretty damn well for the style I play.
I have been playing since I was about 11yo, so somewhere around 38 years give or take a few months.

John
I've been playing around 8 months now. So far so good.

-Open chords, 5th intervals, Barre chords (I forgot how to do 7th chords using barre though?)
-Notes on fretboard
-Alternate Picking (pretty much been doing it since I first got my guitar, I'm almost strictly alternate)
-Minor Pentatonic scale
-Know a few songs and a few licks and some other parts of songs
-Hammer on and pull offs, sliding, string bending to proper pitch

I think that's it, Lol I think I'm doing pretty good..but I don't know what music I want to get into mostly..because I like quite a bit of stuff so I want to be versatile
1/4

Started with the advantage of having played violin since age 6 though, so could already read music and knew a fair bit of theory

So far I can alternate pick, do hammer-ons and pull offs and bend ok, pinch harmonics are mainly ok (they go a bit feeble on my e and b strings), barre chords if they are based on A/Am/A7/Amaj7/Am7or the E equivalents, plus a couple of random ones, pentatonic scale in 5 positions and Maj/min scale (& arpeggios) in 3 positions. Having a decent teacher definitely makes a HUGE difference - but I can't improvise if there is anyone else in the room (I turn into a jibbering wreck) and my strumming is pretty inconsistent - sometimes its fine, other times my right arm just turns into a tense jerky mess.
4 years and I've progressed well enough to make a living playing live and be able to teach.
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22
Dammit, beaten to it, and by someone with the same name

CURSE YOU TOMMYT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by daeqwon10000
I hate tommyt and the high horse which he rides upon
Page 1 of 2